Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

15 Terrifying Approaches .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9SanHjmTZ4

15 Terrifying Plane Landing Approaches

01 00:26 VNLK Lukla Tenzing-Hillary (Nepal) Asobo standard edition
02 02:08 TNCM Princess Julliana (Saint Martin) Asobo 40th An.(+fs.to by cymaz)
03 03:59 VQPR Paro (Bhutan) Asobo standard edition (+fs.to by kychungdotcom)
04 05:27 LPMA Madeira / Funchal (Portugal) Asobo standard OR Orbx
05 07:03 ENSB Svalbard (Norway) Asobo WU 5
06 08:40 TNCS Juancho E. Yrausquin (Saaba Island)  Asobo standard edition
07 10:13 MHTG Toncontin (Hondruas)  Asobo standard edition
08 11:28 LXGB Gibraltar Asobo standard edition
09 12:57 KTEX Tellerude Asobo standard edition 
10 15:11 VHHH Kai Tak (Hong Kong)  Asobo 40th Anv.
11 16:53 NZWN Wellington Intl (New Zealand)  Flightbeam Studios simmarket
12 18:08 SBRJ Santos Dumont (Brazil)  Tropicalsim OR Paulo Ricardo simmarket
13 19:43 EGPR Barra (Scotland)  Asobo WU 3
14 21:07 BGBW Narsarsuaq (Greenland)  fs.to by flightsimthrree
15 22:25 LFLJ Courchevel (France)  Asobo standard edition

(+fs.to) = the addon on flightsim.to works with & enhances the Asobo version) 

EDIT: I miscounted before, and now corrected. 15 airports. I numbered them timewise 1 to 15.

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 5

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

If anyone buys the very good LMPA Madeira a.k.a. Funchal a.k.a. Christiano Renaldo Airport by Orbx, then go to MSFS content manager and put Madeira in the search box. Then uninstall the Asobo version of Madeira which interferes with the Orbx version (double objects). 

• Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

41 minutes ago, Fielder said:

SBRJ Santos Dumont (Brazil)  Tropicalsim OR Paulo Ricardo simmarket

I‘d strongly recommend Paulo Ricardo‘s version. The airport looks very good and comes with loads of POIs. It‘s basically an airport + city addon. 

Another approach that could be added to the list is LGSK Skiathos. 

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 3

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

OK, thanks, I'm going to buy that version right away !

15 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

Another approach that could be added to the list is LGSK Skiathos

Indeed. It's even used in the title image of the linked video...

There's an Orbx version and two freeware ones on flightsim.to (but they may no longer work).

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

27 minutes ago, Fielder said:

OK, thanks, I'm going to buy that version right away !

By the way, I just noticed today that Paulo Ricardo has released a new airport, SBKP Viracopos. It also looks excellent and is on sale on Sim Market for the next 13 hours. $8 - that's a bargain for such a product. I just bought it. Viracopos to Rio, this will be a perfect flight. 

• Like 3

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

I just bought both by Paulo Ricardo ==> 45% off for a few  more hours.

https://secure.simmarket.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=paulo+ricardo+msfs

Edited by Fielder

1 hour ago, Shack95 said:

By the way, I just noticed today that Paulo Ricardo has released a new airport, SBKP Viracopos. It also looks excellent and is on sale on Sim Market for the next 13 hours. $8 - that's a bargain for such a product. I just bought it. Viracopos to Rio, this will be a perfect flight. 

Thanks for the heads up. I enjoy flying in South America and this will be a great addition.

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

19 minutes ago, Gate99 said:

I enjoy flying in South America and this will be a great addition.

Me too. Unfortunately there aren’t many good addons for South America. Otherwise I’d fly there more often. Paulo Ricardo‘s sceneries are a rare exception. 

LPHR / Horta, Azores is also really nice, really short runway, no room for error. Just landed there this year as a passenger in reallife with a Airbus since my father lives there.

Also great views on mount Pico, the biggest mountain in Portugal.

Edited by rob0203
  • Like 2

For those that haven’t yet braved the flight up into the mountains and into Lukla VNLK, I highly recommend you take the time & do it.  The enroute scenery & airport eye candy that Asobo included is fantastic, and the flight / approach requires your due diligence as a pilot.  I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge.  

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

This video was fine, but the narration was a bit... too much about how pilots are nervous and all that... These guys are trained to fly these approaches and once you do it as often as they get to, it becomes second nature. Most videos of pilots I have seen approaching Paro (with the exception of that 737 "sorry, sorry" guy) have been perfectly calm and collected and confident in what they are doing. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

but the narration was a bit... too much about how pilots are nervous and all that

It's like the TV programme Ice Road Truckers. Yes, driving in Alaska or the Canadian N.W.T. on roads made of ice that cross bodies of water is a scary concept on paper. In reality, with proper training and respect for the conditions, it's all rather mundane. But you gotta get those views somehow, so every last hiccup is magnified into a near disaster.

Of the list, VNLK is the only one that would terrify me. The pressure on pilots to fly in marginal conditions or worse is just too great, as seen by the above average fatality rate. A flight into VQPR, TNCS, and MHTG would leave me a little nervous, yet the 14 listed that aren't VNLK all have great approaches that I'd love to experience in real life.

Flying into them as a sim pilot is fantastic and the next best alternative.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

We play Mahjong (the game with bakelite tiles which is a lot like Rummy, not the match tiles solitaire). So there's a guy Tom Sloper with the internet's largest Mahjong website (Sloperama.com) who flew into Hong Kong years ago to shop for Hong Kong Mahjong tile sets.

He posted a travelogue where he was a passenger on a commercial airliner, all relaxed and unsuspecting, and now going to land in Kai Tak. It scared the word not allowed out of him!