Sign in to follow this  
airernie

FSX:SE Add-Ons

Earlier I posted a message regarding Affinity Masks, but this one is a bit different. 

Currently I have FSX Boxed installed, but I'm thinking about moving to FSX:SE, which I also own.  In talking with a user on Reddit one of my concerns have been address and that is if Flight1's SoundStream will work.

I also have a few add-ons that must work before I consider a switch.  Most notably Majestic Q400 and iFly 737.  Among others GSX, Flightbeam airports, FSDreamTeam airports, etc.

Do all of the above work in FSX:SE and any add-ons that you know that don't work just in case I also own them?

Thanks,
Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

I have never seen the benefit of moving from the Disk to the Steam Edition and I do have both.
I only bought the Steam Edition because it was £5, on sale.
The Steam Edition may well be easier to install but, in an effort to convince users that it was better
than the Disk Edition, numerous setting defaults were reduced.
Otherwise, it is identical.
My advice is to leave well alone and continue to use the Disk Edition.

• Like 1

The Steam Edition is easier to install and features built-in cfg file tweaks and was recompiled to make it more stable and it is much better at managing its 4GB limit on RAM use.  I cannot think of any FSX add-ons that do not work in the Steam Edition.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks stans and Reader,. 

FSX Boxed has been really stable for me in the past and I'm reluctant to switch.

However, FSX:SE appears to offer the need to not set an Affinity Mask, but I found a message on HiFi (Active Sky) that states that the mask is still needed for stability.

So, the confusion continues. I guess for now I'll stick with the boxed version since it's been my go to since its release.

Ernest Pergrem

I can confirm that the iFly birds and GSX do work in FSX-SE (because I used them). Airports should work fine. Same for the Q400. The only exceptions I can recall are the PMDG Jetstream and MD-11, and this is only because I read something about that somewhere. 

Depending on your setup, affinity masks are still needed (or just do as NickN said: turn SMT/HT off and forget about that).

The only tweak I remember is no longer needed for Steam was HIGHMEMFIX=1. Well, I never used BP=0 and always had better results with DX9 mode.

Edited by Luis Hernandez
  • Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

If you already have the boxed edition installed and working, I see no real advantage to justify the butt pain of switching.

If you do switch, make sure to uninstall the boxed edition and delete the registry settings for FSX before installing FSX:SE--if the SE installer finds that registry settings exist for a boxed edition install, it changes the paths where add-ons and config files etc are located, making things very complicated w/r/t add-ons.  If there's no boxed edition found, it uses the same file structure as the boxed edition, so add-ons that aren't specifically set up to install into SE will install normally to the legacy boxed edition's locations.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

On 8/12/2023 at 4:43 AM, stans said:

The Steam Edition is easier to install and features built-in cfg file tweaks and was recompiled to make it more stable and it is much better at managing its 4GB limit on RAM use.  I cannot think of any FSX add-ons that do not work in the Steam Edition.

I run several linked programs - Chase Plane, Rex Weather, P2A as well as detailed ground textures GEX and when I use highly detailed, but not so well optimized aircraft (Carenado ATR 42 comes to mind) it will sometimes hit OOM. Not always, but it has and the system chiming is annoying to say the least.
If I use an included aircraft or a well optimized one such as A2A no issue whatsoever.
So basically I agree, but it can OOM.