Sign in to follow this  
Hyper14

Fenix a320 nosewheel steering

Hi, I recently found out that the FBW a320 has noswheel steering and so far it’s really good and helpful.Now that I started flying the fenix a320 more, I was wondering if it has nosewheel steering as well? And if it does, do I have to assign anything in the controls options?

Edited by Hyper14

Yes, you need to assign it a spare axis if you have one. Engaged and disengaged by the button on top of the steering wheel. Mind and disengage it again before take off roll, otherwise it makes for a interesting weave down the runway.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

2 hours ago, Car147 said:

Yes, you need to assign it a spare axis if you have one. Engaged and disengaged by the button on top of the steering wheel. Mind and disengage it again before take off roll, otherwise it makes for a interesting weave down the runway.

Just FYI, the nose wheel steering button in the Fenix doesn't do what the one in the real plane does.

It's used to disconnect nose wheel steering from the pedals so you can operate the rudder without turning the nose wheels, like during the flight control check during taxi so you don't veer off the taxiway centerline when checking the rudder, but you can still turn the tiller and steer. It doesn't disable or enable nose wheel steering; it just disconnects it from the pedals. It also needs to be kept pressed down and will flip back up on its own as soon as you let go. During takeoff roll, you use the pedals and simultaneous nose wheel steering via the pedals is available until 130 kts when it's automatically disabled.

In the Fenix, you can't do a rudder check during taxi without veering off the taxiway centerline because for some reason the button disables the rudder, so you have to leave it up to operate the rudder but then it also still turns the nose wheel. It completely disables or enables steering entirely. They're aware of it but haven't done anything about it yet.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

20 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Just FYI, the nose wheel steering button in the Fenix doesn't do what the one in the real plane does.

It's used to disconnect nose wheel steering from the pedals so you can operate the rudder without turning the nose wheels, like during the flight control check during taxi so you don't veer off the taxiway centerline when checking the rudder, but you can still turn the tiller and steer. It doesn't disable or enable nose wheel steering; it just disconnects it from the pedals. It also needs to be kept pressed down and will flip back up on its own as soon as you let go. During takeoff roll, you use the pedals and simultaneous nose wheel steering via the pedals is available until 130 kts when it's automatically disabled.

In the Fenix, you can't do a rudder check during taxi without veering off the taxiway centerline because for some reason the button disables the rudder, so you have to leave it up to operate the rudder but then it also still turns the nose wheel. It completely disables or enables steering entirely. They're aware of it but haven't done anything about it yet.

Sorry to say but it can be kept pressed down do it every time I fly does not flip back unless I click it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Sorry to say but it can be kept pressed down do it every time I fly does not flip back unless I click it.

In the Fenix yes, but in the real plane it flips back up as soon as you let go of it so you have to hold it down rather than toggle it to avoid pilots forgetting to restore normal steering. I guess in the Fenix it's done this way because in the sim it would be awkward to keep holding it down with the mouse.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

1 hour ago, threegreen said:

Thanks for the enlightenment.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,