Sign in to follow this  

I'd like to upgrade my setup to a 4K OLED monitor. I'm currently running 2 x 27in 4K IPS displays, but only run flight sim on one while the other is for apps etc. 

I am considering moving to a single large monitor, perhaps ultrawide, and then I can use one of the 4K 27" in portrait mode. 

What's a good monitor? I have a powerful PC (4090, 5800X3d), and budget is not an issue as long as the monitor isn't like $2500+.I'm wondering if I should get a QD-OLED Ultrawide, or a 4k OLED, non-ultrawide. 

Would love to hear from people that have recently bought OLED monitors for flightsim.

I use an LG C1 OLED for gaming… 77”. I sit about 5’ away. If you’re going to sit closer, smaller would be ideal. OLED is awesome. Just make sure whatever you get supports G-Sync and has a 120+ Hz refresh rate. 

On 9/3/2023 at 4:12 PM, Virtual-Chris said:

I use an LG C1 OLED for gaming… 77”. I sit about 5’ away. If you’re going to sit closer, smaller would be ideal. OLED is awesome. Just make sure whatever you get supports G-Sync and has a 120+ Hz refresh rate. 

The LG C1 OLED 77" is my main TV.  It's absolutely awesome.  Never thought of using it for gaming.  It's in the Family room!

Stan

@JonathanC, you don’t say if you have space issues which makes recommending anything difficult.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@JonathanC, you don’t say if you have space issues which makes recommending anything difficult.

Hey Ray, I don't really have space issues. I have just set up a triple monitor solution with a spare monitor I had lying around, and currently am running a central 32 in monitor, flanked by two 27 inch monitors. These are all fairly standard "business" 4K monitors, no fancy features like high refresh rates and so on. 

Here's what it looks like

spacer.png

Edited by JonathanC

37 minutes ago, JonathanC said:

Hey Ray, I don't really have space issues.

In that case consider a single large display to replace the three existing ones. OLED for simming is a personal choice. It’s up to you. Bear in mind the bigger the 4K display the further apart are the pixels. Big screen = immersion but smaller ones give you real sharpness.

Perhaps a 43” 4K LG OLED would suit. Check your local stores for further info. You really don’t need 150Hz refresh rates. But see if any have variable refresh rates.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I just purchased LG - 55" Class G3 Series OLED 4K UHD TV. I have replaced my Q80T 49” QLED. Looks much better. This TV is 120 Hz. I am using DLSS with DX12 in MSFS. Everything is smooth now, I am getting around 90-100 fps on PMDG 737 and FSDT ORD scenery. So far so good. 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

5 hours ago, skysurfer said:

, I am getting around 90-100 fps on PMDG 737 and FSDT ORD scenery. So far so good. 

Is that with FG on or off? Thanks

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

52 minutes ago, brucewtb said:

Is that with FG on or off? Thanks

Bruce

What is FG? 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Frame Generation - sorry for the acronym but it is so widely discussed on Avsim I thought it would be general knowledge.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

No. I don’t use anything like that. 

17 hours ago, skysurfer said:

you have a 4090.  You absolutely should test just toggling it on in the MSFS settings.  It's a game changer.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

On 11/21/2023 at 12:36 PM, skysurfer said:

Surprised that you are able to get 90-100 fps at FSDT ORD and a PMDG 737 without FG but I should have also asked was this at 4K?.  This implies that you would be able to get 200 FPS with FG enabled.  As an aside yes 4K is a game changer it has worked much better for me than I had expected.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Yes. It is 4K. I just want to clarify something. If we are talking about DLSS then yes,  I am using DLSS with DX12 in MSFS.

Edited by skysurfer

On 11/23/2023 at 2:23 AM, skysurfer said:

Yes. It is 4K. I just want to clarify something. If we are talking about DLSS then yes,  I am using DLSS with DX12 in MSFS.

No it's a different setting.  In fact I would recommend trying DLSS off (since it causes blurring of the virtual cockpit gauges) and TAA (antialiasing) on and Frame Generation on.  Take a few minutes to try, but well worth it. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next