Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

Undervolt 5800X3D

Very hot here atm and my 5800X3D is hitting 90°C a fair bit with the fan running quite loudly.

Whilst I run at 30 fps to help keep temps down, I know a few of you have been undervolting this CPU a little.

My question is what voltage are you using and how much difference is it making to your performance and temps as I would like to give it a go, but with the benefit of your experience before doing so.

Many thanks

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

11 minutes ago, cianpars said:

Very hot here atm and my 5800X3D is hitting 90°C a fair bit with the fan running quite loudly.

Whilst I run at 30 fps to help keep temps down, I know a few of you have been undervolting this CPU a little.

My question is what voltage are you using and how much difference is it making to your performance and temps as I would like to give it a go, but with the benefit of your experience before doing so.

Many thanks

are you using a tower cooler ?, i have an artic freezer ii AIO 280 best investment for my pc i ever bought looking at HW monitor right now with an ambient room temp of 29 degrees CPU package is peeking at 61.8 degrees sat at the gate at belfast with the Fenix at 4k, anyway i did undervolt my 5800x3d some time ago just to see , i got it stable at a negative -20 , at -30 a little bit funky try -20 if your comfortable in the bios

Edited by sonny147
  • Like 3

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

90c when running at 30 fps? Something doesn’t sound right. I have a 5800x3d and if I ran at 30 fps, it wouldn’t top 60c, prob average around 55. What cooler are you using?

You can use pbo tuner 2 and undervolt to -20 or -30. But if you are regularly hitting 90c, I think there’s another issue going on. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mrlip said:

90c when running at 30 fps? Something doesn’t sound right. I have a 5800x3d and if I ran at 30 fps, it wouldn’t top 60c, prob average around 55. What cooler are you using?

You can use pbo tuner 2 and undervolt to -20 or -30. But if you are regularly hitting 90c, I think there’s another issue going on. 

correct the 5800x3d is a relatively cool running chip due the locked frequencies normally ive never seen 90+ even running cinebench ?, like you say something a miss there 

• Like 1

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

2 minutes ago, mrlip said:

Yeah, the issue is the fact that it is over 30 C here at the moment and I am only using the stock cooler.  No problems running in cooler weather and standard msfs scenery but i do have pretty much everything maxed and use a lot of very intense addons.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

17 minutes ago, cianpars said:

Very hot here atm and my 5800X3D is hitting 90°C

That does not look right, I have an i7 12700kf which is comparable to what you have, mine is OC'ed and never gets above 80C when at 100% load, barely hits 65c when in MSFS.

1. What I would do first is to set BIOS to default (save your current profile first) if that does not work then,

2. Repaste CPU heat sink,

3. Make sure you have enough positive air flow

• Like 2

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

6 minutes ago, cianpars said:

Yeah, the issue is the fact that it is over 30 C here at the moment and I am only using the stock cooler.  No problems running in cooler weather and standard msfs scenery but i do have pretty much everything maxed and use a lot of very intense addons.

the stock cooler is not going to cut it iam afraid, there are some decently priced coolers out there at the moment , no less than a 240 AIO or a 6 pipe tower ( iam no expert on tower coolers though) maybe someone who is using one on a 5800x3d could chip in 

• Like 4

i would try undervolting first though if your happy to do it , you may be surprised !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sonny147 said:

i would try undervolting first though if your happy to do it , you may be surprised !

Thanks Sonny, though I was thinking about doing it in the bios rather than have yet another program running in the background and was wondering what the stock voltage was and what voltages to try.

which mobo ?

13 minutes ago, sonny147 said:

which mobo ?

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

1 hour ago, cianpars said:

Many thanks

hi im using the same settings as in this video temps are nice and stable 

• Upvote 1

I don't have an amd.... But turning down my Terrain Lod to 100 cooled my I7-10700K quite a bit.

• Like 1

You could try to repaste the stock cooler but frankly you would be better served by obtaining the following

https://www.arctic.de/us/Liquid-Freezer-II-280/ACFRE00066B

And once that is properly installed you can then confidently move to PBO settings with curve optimizer.

Running up to the throttling temps indicate to me that something is either not configured in the bios correctly or the cooling components are not installed correctly.

Also, asking for a specific voltage does not usually work.. Silicon lottery and all that plus the fact that the curve optimizer is is what is primarily used to undervolt Ryzen 5xxx AMD cpu's and the PBO values control the amount of energy that is fed to the cpu... Its all very specific and what works for one may not translate to your specific set up. So you have to find the cause of your cooling issue then move to optimize your setup after the cooling is fixed. 

Just my opinion. I'm sure someone else may have a different viewpoint.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.  I do normally run with a TLOD of 250 and even 300 at times where I know I won't be using any intensive scenery but turning it down does indeed improve CPU load and temps.

It seems like a new cooler may be a good idea together with fresh thermal paste and perhaps a little experimenting with PBO (though I'm not keen on running too many background processes - I have quite a few alteady).

My BIOS is stock, save a few changes for resizable bar and windows 11 security settings.  No overclocking, underclocking, overvolting or undervolting in there.