Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Wireless energy transmission

Three things immediately occur to me:

1) Environmental effects/Impacts

2) The networks vulnerability to disruption/attack/interference

3) Long term medical effects of exposure on humans?

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Three things immediately occur to me:

1) Environmental effects/Impacts

2) The networks vulnerability to disruption/attack/interference

3) Long term medical effects of exposure on humans?

1. Its just laser technology that transmits to a solar collector, so I wouldn't expect anything significant in that sense.

2.  As I say, lasers, so the beam would have to be interrupted to cut the power.

3. The laser has a safety shut off ring, so that anything that crosses it's path is safe. 

What immediately occurred to me, was efficiency, what are the power loses. 

wireless power beaming

Edited by martin-w

PowerLight, one of the companies behind this, has also developed the same system to provide power over fibre-optic cable. looks like all that fibre-optic power cable we saw in Star Trek TNG might be a reality. 

DARPA Wants to Use Lasers to Send Energy Directly to War Zones. This Is the Wireless Power Beaming Technology That Will Make It Happen. - The Debrief

wireless power beaming

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

PowerLight Technologies

Safe operation is our top priority and a key design pillar. PowerLight has patented, tested and demonstrated active safety sensing systems that capture and control all generated light, making the surrounding environment safe without the need for laser-safety eyewear. Using our D³ (Detect, Decide, Deactivate) Safety Cycle, the system will automatically turn the beam off (in as little as one millisecond) if a foreign object approaches the beam path, then re-activate when the beam path is clear again. These safety features are unique to PowerLight – no other group has demonstrated a similar capability for power beaming at these power levels and distance ranges. These safety measures are fully integrated into transmitter and receiver interaction and have been independently validated by the US Navy’s Laser Safety Review Board.

Edited by martin-w

I guess i'm pretty jaded at this point. Sometimes it seems like just about every new whizz-Bang universe-changing tech to make all our lives better (and make somebody a zillion dollars) eventually turns out to cause cancer, infertility, birth defects, inappropriate bathroom humor or outbursts of off-key singing......

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 hours ago, FBW737 said:

It will work great in a vacuum!🤣

It works in the air fine. What I'm not sure of is range and power loses. Although they say the power loss isn't great.

Feeding power to drones is one application they mention. In fact they've already powered a Lockhead Martin Stalker aircraft.

They also talk about beaming power into orbit.

Power and data over ethernet is around 100 feet max. Power and data over fibre is 10's of thousands of feet.

Edited by martin-w

Look up a guy by the name of Tesla

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

On 9/10/2023 at 12:20 PM, HiFlyer said:

I guess i'm pretty jaded at this point. Sometimes it seems like just about every new whizz-Bang universe-changing tech to make all our lives better (and make somebody a zillion dollars) eventually turns out to cause cancer, infertility, birth defects, inappropriate bathroom humor or outbursts of off-key singing......

picky-picky, nothing's perfect...

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

“China in the lead by planning to launch a solar power plant in space by 2028. This is claimed to be two years ahead of the original schedule initially proposed for the same project. Its roadmap for the launch is uncovered below.”

“The journal, Chinese Space Science and Technology, says that China will send a satellite at an altitude of 400 km to convert solar energy into electrical energy and further convert that into microwave or lasers, which are planned to be transmitted to various targets on earth. This can then be converted into electricity when the planet needs it. This project will power only a few homes as it generates 10 kilowatts. However, there’s proof for this project to be scaled into a mega power source. Besides, the new plan is believed to build a full-scale power plant in four stages.

Researchers predict that a full-scale microwave beam could project about 230 watts per square meter on the ground and could be as much as direct sunlight.

Two years after the first proposed satellite launch in 2028, another more powerful satellite will be launched about 36,000 km from the earth into a geostationary orbit to conduct more experiments. By 2035, a 10-megawatt power plant is said to send energy to the military and civilians. Researchers are foretelling that two gigawatts could rise from this station’s output by 2050.”

https://www.ceoinsightsasia.com/business-inside/china-is-beaming-into-the-spacebased-solar-power-nwid-9537.html#:~:text=By 2030%2C China wants to,viable solar space station operational. 

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

12 hours ago, 188AHC said:

Look up a guy by the name of Tesla

Tesla notion was to arc electricity from tower to tower, in fact he built a tower known as the Wardenclyffe Tower. Terribly inefficient of course and not workable in practice. I guess this is the modern equivalent, convert to light, transit, and then back to electricity again.

I'd still like to know what the conversion losses are for this new photonic system, can't find that figure on the internet. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fielder said:

picky-picky, nothing's perfect...

Not sure a thalidomide baby (or its parents) would find that thought very comforting....

There are endless pages of other examples.

Devons rig