Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

October 5, 2023 MSFS Development Update

OCTOBER 5TH, 2023 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Posted by: Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

The sun blinds the canopy of a low-wing general aviation propeller aircraft as it flies a few hundred feet above roads surrounded by tall trees

This week’s Screenshot Challenge winner is Twitter/X user BasedRaccoon! If you’re interested in participating in our weekly Screenshot Challenges, check out the details in the Community section below!

Last week on September 28th, we released Sim Update 13. Following this release, an unexpected issue occurred. This issue prevented many players from downloading/installing content and affected both in-game updates and Marketplace content installations. After internal analysis, we determined an issue with the update service was introduced sometime after the release of Aircraft & Avionics Update 02 in June. The issue went unnoticed until triggered by a significant spike in traffic to the update servers following the release of Sim Update 13. The update servers became over-saturated with update requests, failures started to mount, and this caused downloads and installs to slow down, loop, or fail to complete.

On September 29th at approximately 0600 UTC, we deployed a server-side fix to rectify the issue and additional server-side fixes over the next 24 hours. According to our telemetry, these fixes have successfully resolved the issue for the majority of users, though we understand some players who attempted to install the update on Thursday or Friday of last week may still be struggling to successfully update their simulator. You may need to delete one or more temporary files to “un-stick” the install. Instructions for all platforms (PC/MS Store, PC/Steam, and Xbox) can be found in this post.

We want to extend our sincerest apologies for this unfortunate issue following the release of Sim Update 13. We understand how frustrating and inconvenient this situation has been and understand the time and dedication each of you put into playing Microsoft Flight Simulator. Moving forward, we are committed to working towards better prevention of such incidents from occurring. We appreciate each and everyone’s patience and understanding as we worked through this issue.

As part of our ongoing efforts to improve the performance and stability of Microsoft Flight Simulator, we recently announced a new public testing opportunity specifically targeted to reduce crashes on the Xbox platform. There is a new optional test build available now for players on Xbox Series X|S. This build does not contain any changes to the sim itself but does include enhanced error logging and reporting. This data is collected automatically from everyone who installs the test build and will be used to help the development team diagnose and resolve application crashes. If you are an Xbox player who would like to assist with this data collection, you can find instructions on how to download and install the test build on our forums here.

– MSFS Team

Development Update Banner

FEEDBACK SNAPSHOT

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Feedback Snapshot.

Slide1-1.pngSlide2.pngSlide3.pngSlide4.pngSlide5.png

DEVELOPMENT ROADMAP

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Development Roadmap.

DR_2023_09_28.png

MARKETPLACE UPDATE

This week we have a special announcement from our friends at DC Designs!

This Friday, October 6th, DC Designs will be participating in the One Special Day fundraiser for SpecialEffect. This great cause provides custom-created games, computers and controllers to those with disabilities that would normally prevent them from being able to enjoy games. For this fundraiser, 100% of all proceeds on DC Designs’ aircraft will go to this charity.

If you’ve been eyeing any aircraft from DC Designs, they ask you to consider purchasing it on Friday, October 6th!

MARKETPLACE RELEASES

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Marketplace Update.

MARKETPLACE BACKLOG

Current Backlog: 553 Total

BACKLOG: NEW PRODUCTS
  Testing Status
Content Type Initial Processing and Validation by MS Handed off to 3P for Functional Testing Functional Testing in Progress by 3P Functional Testing Signed off by 3P Total
Aircraft 82 11 2 2 97
Mission 38 15 4 1 58
Scenery 30 3 2 1 36
Livery 28 14 1 0 43
Airport 50 26 7 18 101
Other 41 15 1 13 70
Total 269 84 17 35 405
BACKLOG: UPDATED PRODUCTS
  Testing Status
Content Type Initial Processing and Validation by MS Handed off to 3P for Functional Testing Functional Testing in Progress by 3P Functional Testing Signed off by 3P Total
Aircraft 18 8 9 1 36
Mission 0 0 0 0 0
Scenery 5 2 1 0 8
Livery 22 10 0 0 32
Airport 23 25 1 20 69
Other 0 3 0 0 3
Total 68 48 11 21 148

SDK & THIRD PARTY UPDATES

No updates this week.

Community-Banner-GIF.gif

COMMUNITY FLY-IN

The world’s oldest airline (still in operation) is KLM, the flag carrier of the Netherlands. KLM was founded 104 years ago on October 7, 1919. To commemorate this milestone in aviation history, our community fly-in this week will be an aerial tour of Holland. The flight plan was created by our regular panel member and Dutch citizen Pieter2427 who will be sharing lots of interesting facts and trivia as we fly across his beautiful home country!

Also joining us on our panel this week is Community Manager Chewwy94 who will be showcasing the Boeing 787 with KLM livery!

Event details are available here. All are welcome to participate!

A Boeing 787 with KLM livery flies above Amsterdam. Community Fly-In: Netherlands. Join us on Friday, October 6th at 1800Z. We'll be streaming at twitch.tv/msfsofficial.

COMMUNITY VIDEO

For this week’s Community Video, we join real-world airline pilot and flight simmer 737NGDriver as they highlight some of the new features that arrived in the Boeing aircraft for Sim Update 13.

737NGDriver runs through the new Simbrief integration, wind uplinks, and the new checklist features onboard the Boeing 747-8. All users can utilise these new features in this plane now!

If you’d like to learn more, we’ve created two tutorials showcasing the new Simbrief functionality in the Boeing aircraft, as well as how to correctly use the Electronic Flight Bag to calculate takeoff performance figures in the Boeing 787-10:

SCREENSHOT CHALLENGE

You can submit your screenshot via Twitter with #MSFSchallenge or the Weekly Forum Post!

This week’s screenshot challenge: Wheels on the Ground

This past week’s Screenshot Challenge was Country Roads“:

The sun blinds the canopy of a low-wing general aviation propeller aircraft as it flies a few hundred feet above roads surrounded by tall trees

Weekly Screenshot Challenge Winner: BasedRaccoon (Twitter)

An Australia-themed L29 passes overhead a deserted car park linked to a road heading towards Ayers Rock

Screenshot by 2525ARW (Twitter)

Pulling up into the vertical with a red and white chequered colored bi-wing, directly above winding orange desert roads

Screenshot by AvionChibi (Twitter)

An orange and white bi-plane stays clear of high terrain below with a bustling intersection weaving its way through the valley

Screenshot by CpuGeta486 (Twitter)

A vintage red colored bi-plane flies low and level over a desert ranch

Screenshot by HeKa48 (Forum)

A brightly covered XCub flies in between shadows with winding country roads below

Screenshot by HolmesCZ6127 (Forum)

A country house is hidden behind trees with a high wing yellow and white high wing aircraft flying overhead and the moon high in the sky in the distance

Screenshot by ninwo_nintaroww (Twitter)

The Shock Ultra aircraft in yellow paint scheme follows a river below, which is surrounded by dense forestry and a country house below

Screenshot by pommes_l (Twitter)

A pilot's perspective looking through the glass from their aircraft down below onto roads surrounded by fields, autumnal trees and scattered areas of snow and ice.

Screenshot by RufousJayes (Forum)

A high-wing GA aircraft passes low overhead at a busy airfield

Screenshot by ukaka5656 (Twitter)

A high-wing Cessna banks to the left as it flies over farmland, with weaving dirt tracks cutting through the fields

Screenshot by ZILLNIAZI17 (Forum)

NEXT DEVELOPMENT BLOG UPDATE – October 12th, 2023

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 11

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

What is the plane right below the Curtiss Jenny?

And second from the bottom?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Regarding bugs & wish lists it is interesting to see what features/improvements will implemented in MSFS 2024. OTH, this means that some will not make it into MSFS 2020.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

Regarding bugs & wish lists it is interesting to see what features/improvements will implemented in MSFS 2024. OTH, this means that some will not make it into MSFS 2020.

Yes.  For a lot of people, I think this was one of the greatest fears when '24 was announced.

Although there are two things to mitigate this: -

1.  They said wherever they can, they will try to apply features and fixes retrospectively to 2020. (I wouldn't expect too much from that statement though).

2.  I think most people will be tempted to migrate to '24 anyway and take all of their addons with them.

I still wonder how the licensing will work for this for paid products.  I.e. will it be legal to use the product in both simulators if you want to keep both during the transition?

This is why I think 2024 should be an optional 'mega update' that is paid for (like Reno, but obviously a higher price) rather than a complete new program, as that would get around any licensing issues; I hope they are considering this way of doing it.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

Yes.  For a lot of people, I think this was one of the greatest fears when '24 was announced.

Although there are two things to mitigate this: -

1.  They said wherever they can, they will try to apply features and fixes retrospectively to 2020. (I wouldn't expect too much from that statement though).

2.  I think most people will be tempted to migrate to '24 anyway and take all of their addons with them.

I still wonder how the licensing will work for this for paid products.  I.e. will it be legal to use the product in both simulators if you want to keep both during the transition?

This is why I think 2024 should be an optional 'mega update' that is paid for (like Reno) rather than a complete new program, as that would get around any licensing issues; I hope they are considering this way of doing it.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

4 hours ago, Mace said:

What is the plane right below the Curtiss Jenny?

And second from the bottom?

It looks like the default Cub Crafters XCub.  It has an Asobo registration showing also (ASXGS) so it probably is.  Not a bad plane.  I like the 'nose-dragger' version.  :biggrin:

Edited by bobcat999

Still waiting for extra multi monitor features as it still shows Experimental for a long time…

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Is support for Multi-Monitors and Multi-Screens not going to be implemented!!

I do not see it in the development plans.

Edited by nas123

I was hoping that fixing reflections would at least make it to 2024, but still not planned.  This suggests that 2024 will not use ray-tracing.

2 hours ago, Grindathotte said:

I was hoping that fixing reflections would at least make it to 2024, but still not planned.  This suggests that 2024 will not use ray-tracing.

Or maybe it does.  If they switched to ray tracing they wouldn't need to fix them.

They are certainly having a major performance push in '24.  In some cases they have said they see up to a 400% performance improvement.  So maybe they are making some headroom for ray tracing.  It would be about time.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

On 10/6/2023 at 3:49 PM, bobcat999 said:

Or maybe it does.  If they switched to ray tracing they wouldn't need to fix them.

They are certainly having a major performance push in '24.  In some cases they have said they see up to a 400% performance improvement.  So maybe they are making some headroom for ray tracing.  It would be about time.

I hope so, but that's a minor gripe for me.  Since I fly helos in MSFS, the improvements in 2024 look amazing.  What I'd really like to see in the roadmap is the release date (wouldn't we all).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grindathotte said:

I hope so, but that's a minor gripe for me.  Since I fly helos in MSFS, the improvements in 2024 look amazing.  What I'd really like to see in the roadmap is the release date (wouldn't we all).

If my understanding is correct, the release date of MS2024 is directly tied to the release date of another product as well, possibly the next XBox upgrade.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.