Sign in to follow this  
DarkMantle

Is there a head tracker that's like Trackir but works?

Guys.  I'm considering getting the delanclip system.  Clip and the delanclip camera.  Would I be better using the delanclip but with a different camera?  I'm trying to understand how the camera FPS interacts with MSFS fps.  Can anybody help explain that to me?  I finally have a very smooth setup due to FG and a Gsync ultimate monitor.  So I want to maintain the perception of smoothness.  Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Wow I just worked out I have had my TrackIR for almost 20 years.... Crazy. I couldn't be without it, to be honest.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I can't believe I've waited this long.  I see DelanClip as more appealing than TrackIR since wireless.  However before I buy anything I want to ensure the IR system is smooth and I don't buy one that isn't smooth 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

I'm trying to understand how the camera FPS interacts with MSFS fps.

Hi, they're agnostic. The Delanclip camera is specifically built for IR tracking, compared to their previous solution which used the PS3 eye camera with the color filter removed to only see IR. The refresh rate of the camera is not at all tied to MSFS. It capture IR light and sends these to OpenTrack for interpreting head movement.

Either way these cameras are way more performant than say trackir's solution due to increased Hz and FOV. The only difference is delanclip uses opentrack which is going to be doing processing on your CPU as opposed to trackir which processes within their camera. However as you use a 5800X3D I genuinely would not worry at all. In short, don't replace the camera, it was built precisely for ir tracking.

For context I own a delanclip that uses the PS3 eye cam and had great experiences in DCS. In MSFS it was a terrible experience but that was because I was averaging 20fps and a word not allowed ton of stutters on a 6600k and 1070. I haven't tried it on my new system yet which is a 5800X3D paired with a 7800XT.

Delanclip requires a little more tinkering than trackir, but the result is the same. Hope you enjoy your purchase.

• Like 1

I never had a framerate issue when I was using the Delanclip, and that was on an old 2700X with a 1080Ti, and the old PS3 camera. It never had any discernable impact on MSFS framerates. 

• Like 1

thanks guys.  I've ordered the delanclip and camera.  Looking fwd to it

• Upvote 1

Some time ago there was a question asked if it was possible to turn on TrackIR AFTER MSFS has been already started out and consensus- and my experience -was that it was not.

Well, I was wrong, it's enough to unplug the USB and plug it in again.

6 hours ago, micstatic said:

Guys.  I'm considering getting the delanclip system.  Clip and the delanclip camera.  Would I be better using the delanclip but with a different camera?  I'm trying to understand how the camera FPS interacts with MSFS fps.  Can anybody help explain that to me?  I finally have a very smooth setup due to FG and a Gsync ultimate monitor.  So I want to maintain the perception of smoothness.  Thanks. 

Yes!

I will vouch for the DelanClip. It works and I use the wireless version but still attach a battery cable to it to keep it charged. The software it uses is OpenTrack which allows for a lot of adjustability and it uses a PS3 camera for infrared purposes only. It was not very expensive and it's very smooth for me.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

You can tell from my signature that my system is outdated.  I run OpenTrack, RAASpro, Pilot2ATC, Navigraph Charts, AIG and others so I can vouch that it doesn't steal too many resources.

Unless I fly into KSAN. Haha

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

4 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

Yes!

I will vouch for the DelanClip. It works and I use the wireless version but still attach a battery cable to it to keep it charged. The software it uses is OpenTrack which allows for a lot of adjustability and it uses a PS3 camera for infrared purposes only. It was not very expensive and it's very smooth for me.

Actually the new one comes with it’s own camera I believe 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, micstatic said:

Actually the new one comes with it’s own camera I believe 

Even better. I would suggest "googling" on how to set it up, settings etc if you have not used OpenTrack before. It has its own little quirks like anything but you'll love it. Very smooth with my limited setup.

• Like 1

Just want to provide an update.  The problem was with Citrix.  Once I removed that from the computer Trackir began working fine.  There's a driver conflict.

• Like 1