Sign in to follow this  
DarkMantle

Is there a head tracker that's like Trackir but works?

4 minutes ago, DarkMantle said:

So I unplugged the camera, then launched the program, then plugged it in and it worked. So whatever is happening, happens only when launching the program with the camera already plugged in. 

Progress!

Computers are weird. Fingers crossed that's a sufficient work around for you.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, DarkMantle said:

So I unplugged the camera, then launched the program, then plugged it in and it worked. So whatever is happening, happens only when launching the program with the camera already plugged in. 

which  might  be  the  usb  port  thats  causing  the  issues,  try using  another  usb port  and  see  if  the  same  issues  arise  again

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

5 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

I'm done with Trackir.  Clearly they don't support the product.  Their forum has loads of the same complaint.  Trackir crashes the computer on startup to the point it needs to be a forced shutdown.  This has been going on for months and there only response is "Have you tried this or that?"  There drivers no longer work in Windows so I think It's time to move on.  Any recommendations?  I'd like something with a target as opposed to a face tracker.

Been using it for close to 15 years, now in Windows 11, never had a problem. Why would you set it to launch at startup? Turn that off and just launch it manually. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkMantle said:

vPilot is like that with me. Only works when I unplug my headset, plug it back in, then launch it. Otherwise mic doesn’t work. There are so many weird variables. It’s a wonder any of it works.  

2 hours ago, mryan75 said:

Been using it for close to 15 years, now in Windows 11, never had a problem. Why would you set it to launch at startup? Turn that off and just launch it manually. 🤷‍♂️

That's what I do as well. Works reliably. The only few times I've had any bug or snag with TrackIR, it has been on the simulator side after an update. Like the one in December 2021 that Microsoft/Asobo didn't bother fixing until February 2022.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

8 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

I'm done with Trackir.  Clearly they don't support the product.  Their forum has loads of the same complaint.  Trackir crashes the computer on startup to the point it needs to be a forced shutdown.  This has been going on for months and there only response is "Have you tried this or that?"  There drivers no longer work in Windows so I think It's time to move on.  Any recommendations?  I'd like something with a target as opposed to a face tracker.

Respectfully, these seem like issues that are affecting you and not the majority of TrackIR owners and not a limitation of the product.  I've owned the TrackIR product for many, many years and the product is fine.  I run it on Windows 10 and it's not once, ever crashed my PC.  It works and continues to work flawlessly.

To answer your question, you could try the Tobii Eye Tracker.

Jase

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

3 hours ago, mryan75 said:

By start up I mean when I start trackir. 

Get a powered hub with switchable ports. That way you can hit the button to disable the USB and enable it again later without all that plugging and unplugging.

Something like this:

1-b31a458ccc-1.jpg?auto=webp&bg-color=ff

• Like 2

After restarting PC, first thing I do is manually start track IR. Then I just leave it on all the time, sometimes for many days. Doesn't hurt anything.

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

• Like 1

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3527/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

I too had negative experiences with TrackIR. I wear glasses, and it would frequently see light reflecting off them and think it was one of the tracking points, resulting in very annoying movement jitters. 

I switched to the Delanclip and never had that issue again. I'd still be using it now if I hadn't switched to VR.

I had glasses with a stainless steel frame years ago and had that problem, switched to a black frame, and that cured it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have been using the same TrackIR 4 unit and software without any trouble in Windows, FS9, FSX, P3D and MSFS for the past 18 years. Been using it on W7 Pro, W10 Pro now W11 Pro

Edited by cj-ibbotson
  • Like 3

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

On 10/19/2023 at 10:54 PM, mryan75 said:

That is what I do, in fact I didnt even know you could launch it at Windows startup and Ive been using it for 18 years lol.  I have my keyboard assigned to Enter, + and - on the numpad to control Reset, Pause and Precision.  The use of Enter also affects the normal Enter key.  It is a pain typing if TrackIR is running as it requires a long keypress if say I am typing on social media etc.  I only manually start TiR when using the sim

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson