Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

FAA delaying Starship.

Through lack of resources  dedicated to space flight.

Often takes twice as long for the licence and environmental assesment as the development of the rocket 

Starship has been ready to go for over a month.

"Too many agencies involved slowing development."

"A one-stop shop" required."

Edited by martin-w

Get your act together, FAA. We want to see Starship fly!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

55 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Get your act together, FAA. We want to see Starship fly!

They haven't kept up with the pace of development basically. At this rate China will be on the Moon before the US. Which, as said in the video, would be due to an inefficient regulatory environment. Its the US Fish and Wildlife guy's too. Undermanned under resourced and not keeping pace. 

I don't think we will ever see a repeat of that 1960s space race momentum, the entire nation and the western world and expats supported that momentum. Today SpaceX does have that kind of ambition but yea they are surrounded by administrative process and procedure and understaffed and underbudgeted government departments 

Matthew Kane

9 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

I don't think we will ever see a repeat of that 1960s space race momentum, the entire nation and the western world and expats supported that momentum. Today SpaceX does have that kind of ambition but yea they are surrounded by administrative process and procedure and understaffed and underbudgeted government departments 

Well, the US governmnt are comited to landing on the Moon again and given that Congress are aware of the administrative issues and seem to be of the mind that change is required, I wouldn't be so sure. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2023 at 8:21 PM, martin-w said:

Well, the US governmnt are comited to landing on the Moon again and given that Congress are aware of the administrative issues and seem to be of the mind that change is required, I wouldn't be so sure. 

We need a new Speaker of the House so Space Budgets can get approved, and I have found a better way of choosing one, all candidates get on this wheel, and we spin it really fast, and the last candidate to fall off this wheel is the new Speaker of the House 🤣

• Like 2

Matthew Kane

Honestly, that contraption appears to be dangerous.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

38 minutes ago, n4gix said:

In Germany it is called the Teufelsrad but in the USA it would be called the Litigation Wheel 🤣

I only just discovered it two weeks ago on YouTube and never seen anything like it, I've never been to an Octoberfest so it looks like fun

Matthew Kane

18 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:
18 hours ago, n4gix said:

In Germany it is called the Teufelsrad but in the USA it would be called the Litigation Wheel 🤣

I only just discovered it two weeks ago on YouTube and never seen anything like it, I've never been to an Octoberfest so it looks like fun

Oh, yeah, those spinning disk rides have been around for many decades in the U.S.  Check out the features section in this Wikipedia article on Funhouses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funhouse

San Francisco had a Funhouse at Playland-At-The-Beach, an amusement park from 1926-1972

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playland_(San_Francisco)

And their fun house had a spinning disk, called the Joy Wheel

spacer.png

I remember that disk very well, rode it many times (55-60 years ago, where did all that time go 🤔). You waited in line and watched other kids being thrown off it & wondered "Should I really do this............OF COURSE!!" We were moths drawn to the flame 🤣. You observed how other kids did, who survived. Obviously, the key is to get to the exact center of the disk. Then you try to judge where your position in line will be when the group you go in with is let in. Hopefully in front, so you stand a chance of elbowing your way in the ensuing scrum that goes diving for the center.  If you're towards the end, you're walking dead, the amusement park equivalent of cannon fodder, as the first ones off the disk are those on the edges.  And when the disk starts turning, all thoughts of strategy go out the window as the world starts spinning around and centrifugal force decides your fate.

Dangerous? One of the girls that lived across the street from me, about 6 or 7 years older, broke her hip on that ride.  I remember it because I saw the ambulance stop by at her house to let her mother know what happened and which hospital they were taking her to (no cellphones for kids to call their parents in those days).  

Edited by Mike A
spacing spelling
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Been several times to Playland before it was torn down and turned into Safeway by the beach.  Use to live out on Cabrillo and 43rd ave.  Easy walk to Playland.....er Safeway!

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

10 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Been several times to Playland before it was torn down and turned into Safeway by the beach.  Use to live out on Cabrillo and 43rd ave.  Easy walk to Playland.....er Safeway!

I know this isn't exactly on topic but one or 2 ain't gonna kill AVSIM!  Reminds me of reading my Superman comic books and the sponsors advertisements for Palisades Park, New Jersey.  All housing developments now! 🙁

OK, nostalgic time are done back to blasting off that damn rocket! 🚀

Playland-at-the-Beach-12643866475.jpg

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Kids had more fun back then, I am a 70s kid so probably close to the last generation that got away with a lot, my kids don't get away with anything anymore even Apple and Microsoft send me weekly activity reports on them 🤣

• Like 2

Matthew Kane

39 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Kids had more fun back then, I am a 70s kid so probably close to the last generation that got away with a lot

That’s for sure. I remember being able to wander around a lot, just as long as I showed up by dinner time. Noel posted a story about wandering around San Francisco with his brother when they were kids. There was a local dairy owned by a former San Francisco mayor, George Christopher. Cristopher Milk would print tickets on their milk cartoons for kids 12 and under to get in free for certain Giants, 49ers & Warriors games. Candlestick Park was my second home. Got to see lots of games with Willie Mays, Willie McCovey & Juan Marichal with my friends without any parents and for just bus fare to & from Candlestick. Nowadays kids have “play dates”? Where’s the spontaneity? Also remember wandering around Fisherman’s Wharf in the summer to gawk at the tourists shivering in their summer clothes 😊

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Looks like we could be launching in two weeks. Notice to mariners has gone out and the Fish and Wildlife people have done their visit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Looks like we could be launching in two weeks. Notice to mariners has gone out and the Fish and Wildlife people have done their visit.

I blasted off several times this last week!  Does lighting flatulence count as a blastoff? 

Charlie Aron