Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

Grainy building/terrain textures

I have tried everything and can’t seem to get crisp textures.

samsung g5 2k monitor 

HDR on

user opt cfg settings colorgrading off and film grain off

16x ant and power management to ultra nvidia control panel only .

msfs settings ultra .

shadows tweak to 6144.

250mbps internet speed .

7950x3d with a 3080ti 

32gb 6000 mhz ram.

is it my monitor ??

should I go 4k?

thanks 

mike

3 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

I have tried everything and can’t seem to get crisp textures.

is it my monitor ??

should I go 4k?

thanks 

mike

Hard to know what you are seeing.. is it the cockpit, the airplane, the scenery?

I have a 1080p monitor and get crisp textures..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

47 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Hard to know what you are seeing.. is it the cockpit, the airplane, the scenery?

I have a 1080p monitor and get crisp textures..

It’s the scenery.

I'm on a 4K TV as well, and if I use the native resolution I get the graininess as well,but if I use some of the other resolutions available, I can get it nice and clear.

Why don't you show us a picture so we can see what you're talking about and then perhaps someone can help? Could be any number of things.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

41 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

It’s the scenery.

Screenshots would be helpful. We can't imagine your problem, you have to show us.

Edited by gdjak

1 hour ago, gdjak said:

Screenshots would be helpful. We can't imagine your problem, you have to show us.

I will when I get home from work.

• Like 1

There are 3 ways for me to get a hideous and unrealistic grainy looking world in MSFS and it's all to do with the "sharpening" settings. Sharpening causes this grainy look.

1, is to use the AMD sharpening slider in the sim. So I don't use it. I sometimes see people say they have this set to 200. I simply cannot imagine what is wrong with their eyes.

2, is to have sharpening enabled in the .cfg so I have it disabled.

3, is to have image sharpening enabled and set too high in my graphics card driver itself.

Having messed around with sharpening a lot I now only have sharpening enabled on my AMD driver itself and I only have it set to the lowest setting possible which is 10. I never have the AMD sharpening effect on in MSFS itself and I have disabled sharpeining in the .cfg

This means my panel and gauges looks nice and sharp and the world looks natural and without that grainy effect that makes everything look terrible. Especially the trees.

I suspect you have sharpening on in one or many places and you have far too much of it. Turn it off everywhere and see if it goes away. Then try adding a tiny amount in the driver if you can do that with nvidia.

Edited by Jazz
  • Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

41 minutes ago, Jazz said:

1, is to use the AMD sharpening slider in the sim. So I don't use it. I sometimes see people say they have this set to 200. I simply cannot imagine what is wrong with their eyes.

2, is to have sharpening enabled in the .cfg so I have it disabled.

I have tried many different sharpening techniques since MSFS was released.  The absolute best sharpening and non grainy image I have seen so far was just after a recent Windows 11 and MSFS re-install.  I left everything at default which includes the AMD sharpening in the sim.  Like a lot of other settings, a good clean out brings back a good looking sim with fewer issues.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

16 hours ago, mikeymike said:

https://flic.kr/ps/43nHfK

here are pics. hopefully they turn out ok?

firt time uploading screen shot

What altitude were you flying?  Hard to tell from those pics..

Bert

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

What altitude were you flying?  Hard to tell from those pics..

Don’t understand as to why my pics turned out like that.

was testing at around 3 or 4000ft.

mike

1 hour ago, mikeymike said:

Don’t understand as to why my pics turned out like that.

was testing at around 3 or 4000ft.

mike

Hmm, posting screenshots with all that fog doesn't help seeing your issue.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Ok so I have done a reinstall of msfs .

did a flight around YMML and ground textures in around city and suburbs are sharp and clear. 
only orbx YMML airport installed.

now in Sydney YSSY orbx city back and flytampa YSSY are both sharp.

but surrounding suburbs around Sydney are not as sharp as melbourne .

thoughts?

thanks

mike 

2 hours ago, mikeymike said:

surrounding suburbs around Sydney are not as sharp as melbourne .

This may depend on where there is photogrammetry.   Generally, those areas are more fuzzy than where there is Blackshark generated autogen.  As a test, turn off photogrammery in the sim and see if that changes things.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert