Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Hollywood Sign

I know this has been asked by many people.   Yes, the Hollywood sign is in MSFS, though it doesn't stick out as much as in earlier versions.  To find it, fly to downtown LA, then head about 320 degrees.  It is on a cliff, with an observatory (or whatever it is) overlooking it.

• Upvote 1

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

41 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I know this has been asked by many people.   Yes, the Hollywood sign is in MSFS, though it doesn't stick out as much as in earlier versions.  To find it, fly to downtown LA, then head about 320 degrees.  It is on a cliff, with an observatory (or whatever it is) overlooking it.

Griffith Observatory is in that general area too.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

The sign is just northwest of the observatory.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3593/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

2 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Spoken by someone that doesn't know the area very well I see hahaha. Its on a hill, hence the Hollywood hills 😉 

with an observatory (or whatever it is) overlooking it.

Griffith Observatory. Built 12 years after the Hollywoodland Sign was erected. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

Not to be outdone, windy Wellington NZ  has a sign on a hillside you can go look at too! Interestingly in a nod to our Academy award winning animation creators, Weta Workshop, it was nearly going to be called 'Wellywood' with the headquarters of Weta Workshop just to the left out of frame. You know Weta Workshop right? It creates all those animations..The Hobbit, Avatar etc. Here's the filmograpy of their incredible work:  https://www.wetaworkshop.com/filmography/.

Cheers

Terry

(Down Under 🙃).

ADCreHeo1NXb57kZLeVbJl9TyBCxSwFB6BOdYTvr

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

So in this day and age we need forum posts explaining how to find a structure on the planet?

People not able to navigate around using Google Maps?

13 hours ago, Farlis said:

So in this day and age we need forum posts explaining how to find a structure on the planet?

People not able to navigate around using Google Maps?

Yes, explaining how to find a location in the Sim.

17 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Yes, explaining how to find a location in the Sim.

And you can't do that by just looking at an online map? It's not rocket science! With Bing Maps you don't even need to translate what you found out in any way. You just right click on the location, copy the GPS Coordinates into the clipboard and paste that into the Map View in MSFS which will put you in the air right at that location.

In the case of the Hollywood Sign, just type in "Hollywood Sign" in Bing maps, then right click on the marker and you get this:

Now copy that into the search function of the map in MSFS. Done.

And you were giving people directions... 😄
Edited by Farlis
  • Upvote 1

Some people would rather fly to it, and because it doesn't stick out like in older versions of the sim, I'm just posting this for people who wish to find it.  Maybe they'll come through Google or whatever.

Do you insist on being this disagreeable with everyone?  

Edited by andyjohnston.net

On 11/23/2023 at 11:46 AM, andyjohnston.net said:

1 hour ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Do you insist on being this disagreeable with everyone?  Or do you save it up until you are behind your keyboard?

I have to admit, I'ver never seen anyone ask about the Hollywood sign, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. However, I definitely wouldn't characterize it as "many people". So, yeah - this was a pretty random post and not something I would think many people struggle with. But, to each their own. I don't think Farlis was trying to be disagreeable, but was probably also sharing my sentiments, either way - that last snarky bit was probably unwarranted. 

24 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

I have to admit, I'ver never seen anyone ask about the Hollywood sign, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. However, I definitely wouldn't characterize it as "many people". So, yeah - this was a pretty random post and not something I would think many people struggle with. But, to each their own.

At one point, there were a number of people asking about the sign, and many ended up saying it wasn't there.  It could be I'm late to the party and anyone who cared has moved on.  Wouldn't be the first time I'm behind everyone else.