Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

SR22 YD warning

I just took the new Cirrus for a spin, handflying all the way..  When descending I got a yellow YD warning on the PFD..

Is that a feature, or a bug?

Bert

I think the blinking yellow YD is just letting you know it has turned off which should occur on final. It's automatic in this plane if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I just took the new Cirrus for a spin, hand flying all the way.. 

Does the pitch trim work? I tried moving the large button on the "yoke" with the mouse, but nothing seemed to happen that I could see on the trim pitch indicator. What should I be looking for?

Thx,

Al

Edited by ark

25 minutes ago, ark said:

Does the pitch trim work? I tried moving the large button on the "yoke" with the mouse, but nothing seemed to happen that I could see on the trim pitch indicator. What should I be looking for?

Thx,

Al

No idea... I did not touch the trim..

59 minutes ago, vrdubin6 said:

I think the blinking yellow YD is just letting you know it has turned off which should occur on final. It's automatic in this plane if I'm not mistaken. 

I never turned on the autopilot... would you expect the YD to engage even when handflying the plane?..

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I just took the new Cirrus for a spin, handflying all the way..  When descending I got a yellow YD warning on the PFD..

Is that a feature, or a bug?

Yellow flashing YD annunciator means YD disengagement.   It will do that automatically at 500' but there are other circumstances where the automatic YD will disengage; including heavy rudder pedal movement and crosswinds in excess of the aircraft's published max.

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

No idea... I did not touch the trim..

I never turned on the autopilot... would you expect the YD to engage even when handflying the plane?..

Yes.   The SR22 G6 has fully automatic Yaw Damper.  It engages at 500' and disengages at 500'.  Even in manual flight.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Bill

6 minutes ago, JYW said:

Yes.   The SR22 G6 has fully automatic Yaw Damper.  It engages at 500' and disengages at 500'.  Even in manual flight.

Thank you! Very interesting! 🙂

A feature, it is!

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 1

Bert

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Thank you! Very interesting! 🙂

A feature, it is!

Yes, I think the automated Yaw Damper in a GA aircraft for manual flight, was a first for Cirrus. 😎  Pretty cool!

Bill

Can anyone explain how the Cirrus SR-22 pitch trim indicator works -- what should I see changing as I adjust the pitch trim? I see the pitch trim scale on the Control Stick shaft, but I don't see anything changing as the pitch is changed.

Thx,

Al

Edited by ark

Right now there is no specific indicator, you just trim by feel.

The the real SR22T, there is no aero trim; instead, there is a control force bias introduced in the control stick when using the trim switch. Unfortunately, this doesn't really have any good sim analog as the sim doesn't support this style of trim, and also since user sticks cannot have their center point dynamically mechanically biased in one direction or another, which creates a number of bad mapping situations. Additionally, this can't just be applied as an animation adjustment since that would break the controls in VR.

As such at the moment the control stick will not move when the trim is adjusted.

Edited by MattNischan
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

Right now there is no specific indicator, you just trim by feel.

The the real SR22T, there is no aero trim; instead, there is a control force bias introduced in the control stick when using the trim switch. Unfortunately, this doesn't really have any good sim analog, since user sticks cannot have their center point dynamically mechanically biased in one direction or another, which creates a number of bad mapping situations. Additionally, this can't just be applied as an animation adjustment since that would break the controls in VR.

As such at the moment the control stick will not move when the trim is adjusted.

Well thanks very much for the explanation, Matt. So in the real plane the scale on the Control Shaft is in effect a trim indicator since the Control Stick neutral point will adjust in response to the trim control force bias. Interesting. Given the RW cost of that plane (~ $800K+) I'm a bit surprised there isn't a trim indication on one of the glass displays.

Thanks again,

Al

Edited by ark

The Cirrus is an extremely capable cross country machine, especially the 22T with FIKI. I have a love/hate relationship with it, though, as it is not a great “hand flying” plane. The control surfaces are spring loaded to return to their trimmed positions so you very much fly this plane with trim. As Matt says, other than trimming ailerons neutral and elevator in the TO range for takeoff. It’s all trim by feel.

As for the automatic YD, it disengages at 200 feet AGL. 

Edited by snglecoil
  • Like 1

Chris

7 hours ago, ark said:

Well thanks very much for the explanation, Matt. So in the real plane the scale on the Control Shaft is in effect a trim indicator since the Control Stick neutral point will adjust in response to the trim control force bias. Interesting. Given the RW cost of that plane (~ $800K+) I'm a bit surprised there isn't a trim indication on one of the glass displays.

Thanks again,

Al

They are well over $1M now (new). There is no need as the trim indication is (black hash marks) on the metal shaft, which is in your peripheral vision. You calibrate it to center before T/O. It works well in flight and really best used by feel.

Edited by Flyfaster_MTN002

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.