Sign in to follow this  
omarsmak30

Is upgrade to 4060TI (16gb) from RTX2080 for MSFS worth it?

Hello folks,

I have currently RTX2080 with i9-9900 which for most cases work fine. However I was thinking to get RTX4060TI(16gb) or RTX4070 which I see its price is actually very good https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/16GB-MSI-GeForce-RTX-4060-Ti-Gaming-X-Aktiv-PCIe-4-0-x16--x8-Retail-_1498811.html as I am not looking currently to do major upgrades to my machine (I was tempted to actually upgrade to RTX4090 but I guess that needs a CPU upgrade otherwise I would assume is a pointless investment?). Anyway, thoughts? I only fly with 1440p resolution. 

Edited by omarsmak30

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

Yes, it's worth it. The 4070 I have is wonderful. It allows Frame Generation, which to me is all important. 4060 ti will too but it's just not going to perform like the 4070 will. And both only require a modest amount of power.

The gurus on Youtube seem to not like the 4060ti but that's mostly because they are running first person shooter games and need fps. Whereas in MSFS you aren't jumping over obstacles and spinning around looking for bad guys. However you do want a very good look at the wonderful scenery, which fps gives you. A 4060ti is not such a loser with MSFS.

The 4070 ti, 4080, 4090 are expensive and need a bigger power supply. So not for me.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I tested my system just now. For MSFS running at ultra this website said with my hardware I would get 55 fps.

https://www.cpuagent.com/fps-bottleneck-calculator

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The 4060Ti 16GB isn't a bad card per-se, it's just massively overpriced - really only worth £400 tops. And the additional VRAM (over the 8GB version) is a fudge because the bandwidth is quite limited, for most games the 8GB version is just as quick but then MFS isn't most games so it will use that extra memory.

Performance of the 4060Ti is only marginally than the 3060Ti generally, it is distinguished by lower power consumption, DLSS3 and Frame Generation features rather than any performance gains. A 3070 will outgun it comfortably and probably be the one to pick if it's cheaper, provided you don't want to use FG with MFS. The 4070 is vastly more capable than everything else I've mentioned so if your budget can stretch, that would be the one to have.

I am currently waiting for the 4060Ti-16GB to come down in price, hopefully post-Christmas, as I want FG.

EDIT: FSR3 FG can be made to work on RTX2x and RTX3x cards in MFS, so a used RTX3070 looks like a good proposition

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I think AMD 7900XT will be the best buy for MSFS when Asobo implement support for AMD's FG.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |