Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Microsoft just killed Windows Mixed Reality, but.....

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

not quite sure what to make of this, but the day they drop VR for MSFS/MSFS2024 it is back to x-plane for me. hopefully this never happens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

per usual, hysteria without a pause to reflect on the details. The official stance from MS is WMR will be gone in a later version of Windows, not 11.
That may not release for a number of years, so by the time that happens, the hardcore VR user will have (most likely) moved on from the current ecosystem into the next gen. Meta/Varjo/Bigscreen/Pimax all use proprietary drivers so this really doesn't have to be the house fire so many online are claiming it is.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

5 hours ago, ZLA Steve said:

all use proprietary drivers

drivers is one thing, genuine support (future MSFS versions) by the app is another.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

Agree, but there is a long timeline before being forced to upgrade to the next windows version.

I imagine in this very forum memberbase there are still folks on Vista and even XP so no immediate rush. 

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

Even if they did suddenly remove WMR without warning, you can guarantee someone would hack a way for it to work anyway so nothing would change.

I've still got a G1 as backup to my G2, so as long as WMR remains on Win11 I'm just fine as I don't plan on upgrading my HMD anytime soon.

Don't Panic Mr Mannering!

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Phil Spencer, vice president of Microsoft Studios, has said several times he doesn't believe in VR. we can consider ourselves lucky it was still included in MSFS, later on. VR is missing from the latest Microsoft Forza racing game, and not supported on the x-box from day one. we shall see, in our VR headsets.

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

WMR never reached the stability and maturity that other VR platforms have, so maybe this isn't surprising.

I was considering switching to the Quest 3 from the G2 anyway, so maybe that's the way to go in the futute. Just hope they aren't gonna axe VR from MSFS2024 or any other version, though given that it's quite popular in flight simming and that they listened to the community and implemented VR in MSFS I can't see that happening.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

9 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Just hope they aren't gonna axe VR from MSFS2024 or any other version, though given that it's quite popular in flight simming and that they listened to the community and implemented VR in MSFS I can't see that happening.

With their history of lacklustre attention to fixing VR bugs, introducing features and general ignorance of the subject during Q&As I wouldn't put anything past them. I've lost all faith in their ability not to mention desire for VR, it's clear and evident for all to see.

I think what we'll get is that VR simply "works" for MSFS2024 like it does now and that'll be it, keep those expectations extremely low, I know I will.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

13 minutes ago, MarcG said:

With their history of lacklustre attention to fixing VR bugs, introducing features and general ignorance of the subject during Q&As I wouldn't put anything past them. I've lost all faith in their ability not to mention desire for VR, it's clear and evident for all to see.

I think what we'll get is that VR simply "works" for MSFS2024 like it does now and that'll be it, keep those expectations extremely low, I know I will.

To be frank I never understood when you said VR was so bad and buggy in MSFS. I'm flying in VR exclusively myself and couldn't tell you a single thing wrong with it. If MSFS2024 VR is like it is now I will be satisfied.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

23 minutes ago, threegreen said:

To be frank I never understood when you said VR was so bad and buggy in MSFS. I'm flying in VR exclusively myself and couldn't tell you a single thing wrong with it. If MSFS2024 VR is like it is now I will be satisfied.

I fully respect that and I'm glad you enjoy the experience, as do I. However I do paint a bleak picture admittedly, but when there's bugs introduced in SU5 & 7 that still exist, the dreadful immersion breaking Shutdown Bug that they've ignorantly ignored, still no simple single image on the monitor, having to rely on OpenXR Toolkit for features that should be default in the Sim, poor performance in random situations (although this is true for pancake mode to be fair) then I feel aggrieved that there's been very little attention paid to VR which is evident by the severe lack of new features/bug fixes in 3 years and when Jorg sidesteps the subject relentlessly in Q&As time & time again.

Like I said "it works" which is in their eyes enough, coming from a profession/career that relies upon top quality and having been part of many game/simulation developments over the years, I tend to pick up on failings quite easily (a bugbear of mine!) and IMO the VR experience in this Sim could be sooo much better if they actually paid attention too it, but alas they don't so we get the bare minimum. I'm not content with that personally, I would like more and at the very very least regression bugs to be dealt with immediately....but they get ignored year on year which is dreadful.

I've said this countless times before, I love this Sim and when it works in VR it is great, but it could be and should be so much better. 🙂

the week Apple announced their top notch Vision Pro, Microsoft announces the end for WMR for future Windows versions and for SteamVR. Yes, we all know MAC is not Windows, but still, after Marc Zuckerberg's and Apple's investment of billions, Microsoft withdraws from this technology. Coincidence or do they try to harm their opponents  investments?

very nice.

6 minutes ago, turbomax said:

the week Apple announced their top notch Vision Pro, Microsoft announces the end for WMR for future Windows versions and for SteamVR. Yes, we all know MAC is not Windows, but still, after Marc Zuckerberg's and Apple's investment of billions, Microsoft withdraws from this technology. Coincidence or do they try to harm their opponents  investments?

Microsoft laid off all the WMR and other VR staff earlier this year so it was already set in stone, just coincidence that they announce the deprecation this week I think.

34 minutes ago, MarcG said:

the dreadful immersion breaking Shutdown Bug

What's that even?

59 minutes ago, threegreen said:

What's that even?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/engine-shutdown-breaks-immersion-in-vr/