Sign in to follow this  
andy1252

TIme travel in MSFS - KSFO

While looking at the Marketplace sales a few days back I noticed a few products produced by Redwing that were for 1935 versions of a couple of airports, one of which was KSFO. I've always had a bit of a thing about the 1890-1935 'ish period and how the world looked and worked back then, so grabbed it. Oddly enough, shortly afterwards Bernd posted a set of pix using another of their range but in Berlin. So I checked out their website and they have a whole bunch of things going on there. Never mind MSFS2024, they're working on MSFS1935!

So I went back to the marketplace (unfortunately, they only seem to sell on there) and just did a search for "Redwing" and found all sorts of interesting stuff, scenery wise. At this point, I just grabbed a bundle of things based in the US, but including such potentially fascinating sites as KSFO, KEWR, KLGA and so on. The nice thing is that they also have "base" products for areas such as USA, France etc, that amend the underlying scenery to avoid clashes like seeing solar panels etc. It does mean though that you need to set up a dedicated environment and remove things like the "I love VFR" packages if you want a consistent environment. Easy enough to do if you're an addons linker user (and if you run more than a couple of scenery addons you really should consider it).

So, I've just spent the last two days installing a new 8TB NVMe drive for my MSFS setup, and copying the many tens of millions of files across from my almost full 4TB drive. Part of that process included setting my system back to default vanilla via the addons linker, so when it was all ready to try again I just enabled my 1935 folders, with nothing else active, and went for a spin. And I have to say I love it. Plenty of work to do yet, in that I will be able to utilise a few of my "global" addons without causing timeshocks in the fabric of my own little universe, and I realised after today's test run that I'll need to disable GSX pro to turn off the rather offputting pushback trucks that keep showing up on these 1935 grass fields!

But with the judicious use of the addons linker I hope to end up being able to switch between a modern environment and the 1935 world with just a couple of clicks, and have a similar degree of versimilitude in both. And if eventually I want to be king of the world and fly my F-22 around in 1935, thereby sparking off all those UFO stories that persist even today - I shall do so!

Meanwhile, here's some pix from the first flight around KSFO. Far from fully set up yet, but they give you a taste. Personally, I preferred the NY stuff and I'll post a set of those next. But these airports, or I guess, airfields, are gorgeous, and I suspect I'll probably end up buying everything they've done (fortunately, they're not that pricey and are often available in bundles).

Oh, and it generated one more sale for Ant's Tiger Moth. Seems like a suitable ride for the occasion (but not in use in these sets yet)

So here we are at Mills Field, San Francisco -
A3kPku0.jpg

One of the tricks they do is substitute older models for current MSFS default planes that might show up as statics
9z4JHsd.jpg

CnMFWa9.jpg

ocgyAvE.jpg

kusZ9uc.jpg

2ic8dRb.jpg

8XKznqR.jpg

Yeww3YA.jpg

A couple of shots around the city itself. Notice the Golden Gate still under construction. The city itself is modded to remove the inappropriate high rises but of course the whole "skyscraper" thing was already a big deal by the 1930s
JiJ0MRJ.jpg

9znCooA.jpg

The bridge is a bit bright for my taste, but who knows, maybe it was bright when it was new
h6ekz1Z.jpg

IMPfCLu.jpg

zdW9Uhv.jpg

Not sure exactly how they modify the city files/models, but SF still has some of the ugliest PG in the sim. The vegetation uglifacts are in full bloom here.
fXgsISe.jpg

So anyway, there you are. A blast from the past! Won't be to everyone's taste but I love it.

Edited by andy1252
typo
  • Like 7

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Great 'back in time' glorious shots except the last one. But a very interesting idee to collect 1935-made stuff(objects) to bring alive the 1930-1940 history, is that all from developper 'Redwing' ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikbenik said:

Great 'back in time' glorious shots except the last one. But a very interesting idee to collect 1935-made stuff(objects) to bring alive the 1930-1940 history, is that all from developper 'Redwing' ?

Hi Ikbenik, and yes, that last one is disappointing. But then I've always found the native SF poor so I'm not surprised. And yes, all from Redwing. They seem to be developing a nice little niche for themselves.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Fascinating. Just don't get so wrapped up in it you forget to come back to where your dinner's waiting! 🙂

Judging by these screen shots, they even made the sim look like FS2002.

Edited by flyingjafo

Fascinating, Andy...! Good history-hunting backwards in time....🙂...

Thanks for the effort and for sharing your findings...!

Great shots buddy, like that old style 👍

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.22H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png