Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Blackshark AI for X-Plane?

Hi Everybody,

Possible for future use in XPlane without L/R getting involved?

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL
  • Like 1

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

1 hour ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

It wouldn't be possible to do without LR getting involved.

Hypothetically, if they could change the architecture to support it, how much are you willing to pay for such a subscription service? Servers are not cheap, and it wouldn't be cheap either. This would be way too much data to store locally.

I wouldn't be willing to pay for a subscription when I can already get it included with a onetime payment of $59.99 from M$.

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

10 minutes ago, brinx said:

It wouldn't be possible to do without LR getting involved.

Hypothetically, if they could change the architecture to support it, how much are you willing to pay for such a subscription service? Servers are not cheap, and it wouldn't be cheap either. This would be way too much data to store locally.

I wouldn't be willing to pay for a subscription when I can already get it included with a onetime payment of $59.99 from M$.

It would be no different than what sim heaven is doing now.

In fact simheavens latest Xworld already includes a good chunk of it, because it was released under a permissive licence.

The problem is the same now as then, overwealmingly the quality is bad and there's no night lighting, hence asobo launching an army of designers into "world updates".

see also

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

2 hours ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Sure, if somebody could afford to pay for it :)

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

It would be no different than what sim heaven is doing now.

In fact simheavens latest Xworld already includes a good chunk of it, because it was released under a permissive licence.

I disagree. They have the same goal of placing 3d objects accurately. This is where the similarities end really. How they go about doing that is completely different. Blackhark is using AI on Microsoft's azure cloud to extract 3d data/footprint from the 2d bing image.

Maybe Microsoft chooses to release footprint data later, at which point simheaven can then utilize.  Not accurate to say they do the same thing though.

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

The problem is the same now as then, overwealmingly the quality is bad and there's no night lighting, hence asobo launching an army of designers into "world updates".

What problem? Photogrammetry? Photogrammetry by itself can be pretty terrible. As you've state, this is why they use teams like gaya and orbx to clean it up before it goes into the SIM. When done correctly it can look amazing.

https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/438695-38#overview

Edited by brinx

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

28 minutes ago, brinx said:

Maybe Microsoft chooses to release footprint data later, at which point simheaven can then utilize.  Not accurate to say they do the same thing though.

they did and simheaven did.

https://simheaven.com/x-world-3-0/

This year, Microsoft added estimated heights to the global buildings footprints, for Northern America, Australia and Europe (as June 2023), maybe more to come in future. In total there are now 1,200 millions footprints and 174 millions estimated heights available

• Like 2

AutoATC Developer

Hopefully, never.

I don't care about watching my house real footprints, as far as scenery accuracy is a concern, I care about what is in the VFR charts, that's it, anything beyond that is just pure "eye candy" hence no reason to be limited to blackshark assets that have subpar quality and can only create limited shapes.

LR should invest in new shading pipelines for scenery plausibility; a new mesh system (that can make roads affect mesh as well), moving the vegetation meta-data to raster based-images to place 3D through masks & more OSM content to make cities recognizable with quality, instanced & regional art assets using the same powerful autogen scenes concepts.

For scenery accuracy, in a world where LR can deliver at least 1 point per building data, by default (AGP VS facades footprints) I'd hope they just gateway roads & autogen scenes placements, creating an updateable scenery data base, just like they did with airports. For larger structures, facades can be used, just like they do now for tall buildings.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Inu said:

For scenery accuracy, in a world where LR can deliver at least 1 point per building data, by default (AGP VS facades footprints) I'd hope they just gateway roads & autogen scenes placements, creating an updateable scenery data base, just like they did with airports. For larger structures, facades can be used, just like they do now for tall buildings

We'll see. There is more to it than this.

e.g. they already use OSM data, and the recommendation for off airport scenery is to submit changes to OSM.

#1 reason the XP gateway is so important is OSM has a policy of not maintaining airports and airspaces (although from what Ive seen, many OSM airports are actually to a higher 2D standard than their gateway counterparts)

The reason a lot ends up missing (compared to say simheaven, that also uses a lot of OSM) is actually down to hitting the minimum system requirements.

A full OSM data download is 100GB compressed (running into terrabytes uncompressed iirc, been a good few years since I loaded some of it into a postgres server)

Its a very tricky balance to strike, as I understand it, (and I could well be wrong here, so it may be better to just "get what you are given") there is a "new scenery system" well underway, and that system has very likely been a greater undertaking than the transition from opengl to vulkan: They've just been so vague about it, its impossible to say for sure.

But if you watch any of the videos of any of their top guys talking about scenery, from what I know about body language, they are both extremely excited, and extremely frustrated at "not being in a position to talk about it yet".

All we can do is wait, and put a mental block on the tearing between the water and ortho, that imho, has been a low priority simply because ortho is "soon" going to have bigger problems......

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer