Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Both San Francisco and Oakland PD haging up this sign.

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)

That goes back to 2018, when local residents at Alamo Square in San Francisco created & posted the sign (see article below) to warn tourists visiting the “Painted Ladies” Victorian homes. Thieves like to target tourists who tend to carry valuable items in their own or rental vehicles.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/prevent-car-break-ins-san-francisco-sign-angry-poisonous-bees/196293/

spacer.png

Edited by Mike A
Added picture
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mike A said:

residents at Alamo Square in San Francisco

Off topic, but hopefully I can get it in before Charles notices... looking at the image you posted above, wooden hoses can be very attractive. As a Brit I'm used to two skins of solid brick, or brick and block, not bits of wood. But they look very pretty indeed. 

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Off topic, but hopefully I can get it in before Charles notices... looking at the image you posted above, wooden hoses can be very attractive. As a Brit I'm used to two skins of solid brick, or brick and block, not bits of wood. But they look very pretty indeed. 

Too late!   :ph34r:

@Mike A  None of these signs out in your neck of the woods?  We got 'em!

images.png

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, martin-w said:

wooden hoses can be very attractive

But high maintenance, like the painted ladies.

Sorry, I just googled "painted ladies" and found it wasn't the same thing as "ladies of the evening".

Was that a Freudian Slip? I have to read things more carefully.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

It's called "Progress".

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My website for P3D stuff: https://sites.google.com/view/thep3dfiles/home

1 hour ago, dmwalker said:

Sorry, I just googled "painted ladies" and found it wasn't the same thing as "ladies of the evening".

I typed hoses instead of houses. Definitely a Freudian slip. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, charliearon said:

None of these signs out in your neck of the woods?  We got 'em!

We have neighborhood watch signs. I just commented on the origin of the unique signs in the OP, how residents felt sorry for the victimized tourists and took matters into their own hands by creating their own sign using humor to point out the inconvenience & anger experienced when your vehicle has been broken into, the message being an ounce of prevention = a pound of cure. 

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, martin-w said:
2 hours ago, dmwalker said:

I typed hoses instead of houses. Definitely a Freudian slip. 

As a native San Franciscan, I can opine that Painted Ladies is not a Freudian slip. You have to consider our history, starting with the 49ers Gold Rush, being at the “end of the world” on the western edge of the continent, there’s a certain rogue spirit and sense of humor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike A said:

You have to consider our history, starting with the 49ers Gold Rush, being at the “end of the world” on the western edge of the continent, there’s a certain rogue spirit and sense of humor.

"The Barbary Coast".

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

11 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

The Barbary Coast

Exactly!

There was that time when almost the entire adult male population of San Francisco suddenly left within 2 weeks.

1848 and the city only had about 800 residents and 300 adult males. Gold had been discovered at Sutters Mill in January and one day in May one newspaper printed the proof that it was the truth and not an exaggeration. By June 1st there was only about a dozen males left. The rest were rushing for gold. They arrived long before '49ers got there and gold was easy to accumulate.

On Dec. 5, 1848 President Polk addressed congress and confirmed the truth of the discovery of gold. When Spring came the wagons flooded west in 1849. By 1850 San Francisco alone had 25,000 residents and California was large enough to become a State that same year.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 1/1/2024 at 9:40 AM, Mike A said:

49ers Gold Rush

Now yer talkin'!  My favorite football cheer-leading squad!

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

7 hours ago, charliearon said:

Now yer talkin'!  My favorite football cheer-leading squad!

And the 49ers’ awesome defensive line in the mid 1970s was known as the Gold Rush, NFL-high of 61 sacks in 1976 🏈

Da Bears.

• Like 1