Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Runway Centreline Markings

1 minute ago, Konterhalbe said:

I guess they are more likely offset due to the fact that you can just repaint the centerline markings from time to time without having to un- and reinstall or cover up the lights.
Makes it much quicker and cheaper I think..

actually it's a combo of the two

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Just checked the irl runway centre lights at EINN. Per Google Maps satellite view, you can see that runway centre lights are offset to the left of the centreline markings if viewed in the direction of rwy 06.

Less maintenance if 60-ton jets run over the lights less frequently and repainting runway markings is quicker if lights don't require covering.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

While the developers may have made a mistake (I don't have those addons and can't compare with google earth), this is more than common in the Real World. On any sort of pavement the lines, bars, symbols and text are hand drawn by one or two guys. It's a tough job and for most jobs it's not laser guided or precise at all.

You'll see mis-aligned lines on your streets, highways, taxiways and runways if you look for them.

zurich-switzerland-november-waiting-take

How it's done:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

The misalignment that I am seeing at some airports is far worse than the screenshot above. Having two guys steadily working their way down the runway is not the same as looking like they have been painted by Michael Jackson doing a rendition of Thriller. As for the centreline lighting being offset from the runway markings, that is realistic. I do not have a problem with that.....unless it is not consistent. Switching from one side of the runway centreline to the other (for example) would clearly indicate that something is amiss.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have added another airport to the list (Fly2High EGFE Haverfordwest) :dry:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

UPDATE - Gary Summons has corrected the misalignment of the centreline markings on runway 03/21 at UK2000 EGPK Prestwick. Customers should now be able to download version 1.04 from their accounts at the UK2000 website. I assume that MS Marketplace customers will have to wait until Microsoft clears the update for release.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png