Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Built-in ATC Now Totally Bonkers

I have to join in the chorus and do what people usually recommend when this comes up:

Switch to VATSIM. And if you happen to fly during a time where there is no decent controller coverage for your chosen flight,  just fly without traffic and ignore ATC.

The difference in operation is so much different from what the programmed ATC is doing. Granted you have the added stress of actually having to understand what ATC is telling you and reading it back correctly, but the flow of everything is so much better when a human actually does the vectoring for you and gets you down quicker and better than any computer currently can.

Randall,

I went from *the default ATC* to  FS-HUD it is quite OK, "not perfect" but better than default atleast 😊 the voices sounds reasonably ok, and seem to have proper voice for the area

I have a feeling you are a retired or still flying realworld GA -pilot, so you will have higher demands of the ATC-software than me

I think it is a FlightOne partner developer, so you can try demo or test and then get money refunded "if unsatisfied" they used to have a great refund policy atleast.

I have Navigraph subscription so theres that, also I think it now supports addon airports.

I have *only tried the beta version* because I wanted the "newest and latest" possible ATC-experience.. So I don't know if the program is outdated or not before you install the Beta of it.. 

Btw I am no poweruser/hardcore simmer,

(No real Pilot here.. 😳) *just a normal user* who prefers the software to be modern *and user-friendly* 

Also if you want seriously great ATC there seems to "only be the" AI-solutions providers

(ie. Beyond ATC & say intentions Ai) but none are really avaliable right now/they are beeing developed and tested!

quite often I see P2ATC  pop up if you want to talk to ATC..

Other than that is vatsim/Ivao/PilotEdge networks.

Edited by Rune-ENHD

3 hours ago, Farlis said:

I have to join in the chorus and do what people usually recommend when this comes up:

Switch to VATSIM. And if you happen to fly during a time where there is no decent controller coverage for your chosen flight,  just fly without traffic and ignore ATC.

The difference in operation is so much different from what the programmed ATC is doing. Granted you have the added stress of actually having to understand what ATC is telling you and reading it back correctly, but the flow of everything is so much better when a human actually does the vectoring for you and gets you down quicker and better than any computer currently can.

Flying on Vatsim for me 75% of the time, was flying on Unicomm talking to my self. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

"Retired" is a good way to put it as I mainly flew in the 70's. 😄

FS-HUD, P2ATC and PF3 have been on my radar.

Down the road, I'll probably get into VATSIM and PilotEdge, but for now I'm concentrating on diving deep into a number of great aircraft and systems - I want their operations to be second nature before I'm carrying on ATC communications at a higher level.

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Flying on Vatsim for me 75% of the time, was flying on Unicomm talking to my self. 

It really seems to depend where you fly. I look at the controller maps and the US coverage is pretty bad all the time, especially in the fly over states. Even in the evenings of their local time it doesn't improve. In Europe it's different. In the evenings you can fly from Scandinavia to Italy and have full coverage for the entire flight many times. 

It gets a little stressed though when many people want to fly out of big hubs like Munich and one guy is doing ground, tower and approach. That's something where I think they should rethink their structure and not force a higher controller to do all the ground movements as well, or force controllers to staff ground first before staffing tower and approach.

But even talking to yourself is better than using default ATC.  When I fly offline I fly with PSXT, listen to LiveATC when available (it usually is not in the EU) and just fly without trying to simulate talking to ATC. 

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:39 PM, Bobsk8 said:

Yes, I joined last year and tried it a few times, seems to cater well for commercial IFR types flying from/to main airports but for the VFR pootler like myself of very little use. IME the controllers don't seem familiar with Local VRPs and preferred routing and handovers for  VFR transit routes through their airspace (presumably because they hardly ever get that sort of traffic)  and basically just say yes/no you can go through

From listening in it does sound great for the airliner crowd though and far better than any Machine generated ATC.

There is a thread here on VoxATC or whatever they call it these days, I may give that a try.

Is there a reason why the Sayintentions chatgpt 4 ATC isnt getting any attention on avsim? Looks like it can become very good for VFR flyers.. 

Anyone tried it?, kinda expensive though..

• Like 2

Kaboki, your from Norway right?? 😊 

I think that the problem is, Say- intentions-Ai ... is *extremely* expensive!! 😵💫😬

That's why it get's too little *publicity* People balk at the price of Beyond-ATC , but Say-intentions-AI is EVEN MORE Expensive with 300$ a year 😵💫😵💫😵🤯🤯 *or 30$ every month*

I really hope that we get an AI based solution from MSFS-2024 , but If that falls through, Beyond ATC seems the best solution..

Hope we get some more European demos/showcases from Beyond-ATC soon?? 😃 Would love to hear that Scandinavian accent 😂 from ATC

Regards, from a different "snowy part" of Norway 😄

2 minutes ago, Rune-ENHD said:

Kaboki, your from Norway right?? 😊 

I think that the problem is, Say- intentions-Ai ... is *extremely* expensive!! 😵💫😬

That's why it get's too little *publicity* People balk at the price of Beyond-ATC , but Say-intentions-AI is EVEN MORE Expensive with 300$ a year 😵💫😵💫😵🤯🤯 *or 30$ every month*

I really hope that we get an AI based solution from MSFS-2024 , but If that falls through, Beyond ATC seems the best solution..

Hope we get some more European demos/showcases from Beyond-ATC soon?? 😃 Would love to hear that Scandinavian accent 😂 from ATC

Regards, from a different "snowy part" of Norway 😄

Yep, im from the coldest part up north where the sun doesnt shine:p.

Yeah, the price is insane, but if this program delivers what it promises, I will subscribe (I spent around 30 000 kroner on scenery for this sim, so I dont see any problem adding 3000 kroner a year on top of that).

What I like is that it seems focused on VFR wich all other ATC programs is not. I will follow its development for sure. 

• Like 2

Greeting from west-coast of Norway here 👍 between Bergen & Stavanger 😁

where it usually rains and is windy lol 😅 hehe..

Yes will also follow the development of *both* the AI-based ATC 😃

Have you tried FS-Hud? It's quite OK,?

The FS-Hud "Beta-version" atleast, but I have not used it in VR yet..😳

Been a long time since I used my HP Reverb-G2 (ver1. the "preorder-version") since resorting to the Backup-plan. (Getting a large format 4k screen), The 55" OLED TV has spoiled me with it's BEATIFUL colours and picture-quality "and little motion-sickness" 😳😲

I might try VR again..soon, but even though I was extremely cautious and tried to get VR-legs with my Reverb-G2(I also hawe Prescription Lens inserts) I got quite a bit seasick 🤢😬🙁🙁

Edited by Rune-ENHD

You probably get what's left of the word not allowed that regularly graces the northern UK shores :laugh:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Christopher Low, Hahah.. 😆👍😂

yep the Storms at least it seems 😬

Have you Guys over there in UK got lots of snow lately?

Not much snow in Cumbria (north west England). Just endless rain :dry:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 2/8/2024 at 5:12 PM, RandallR said:

There were some items in the ATC area that were improved in the last update, but now there are so many more things going wrong that it's almost unusable.  These have been consistent faults in the last 5 flights:

• Loss of communication through COM1 immediately after ATIS playback - COM1 receives no audio for the remainder of the flight.
  • Attempts to file the flight plan results in a new voice immediately repeating the ATIS announcement I've already received while blocking out the flight plan approval
  • I now have to switch to COM2 or I hear no ATC responses (they are visible in the ATC window but no longer audible through COM1)
  • Multiple times in a flight switching my custom cockpit views (Alt+1, etc.) triggers an improper ATC response.  Apparently the sim is inappropriately reading my Alt+ commands as single numbers, activating commands, requests and directions I never asked for.  The ATC system has responded to vector requests (that I never asked for), accepted IFR cancellation requests (that I never requested), switched to different destinations (that I never requested).
  • Most of the other really bad issues that were issues before continue: not offering change of runway along with change of approach requests, assigning improper (ridiculous) altitudes, etc.

This is crazy.  I was appreciating the ability to obtain much more appropriate climb to cruise approvals, but with everything else going wrong I'm dumping it.  Looks like I'll need to invest in an add-on ATC system, though it appears that all of them still have weaknesses.

Randall.
I have this exact thing happen this week.  Out of nowhere.  I normally only use ATIS and it went totally AWOL.  If I opened the ATC text pane the ATIS text was scrolling, but no voice.  All other MSFS sounds were fine.  I started a related topic here as well and just updated it with a possible fix.  See if it works for you.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 2/11/2024 at 10:15 AM, Kaboki said:

Is there a reason why the Sayintentions chatgpt 4 ATC isnt getting any attention on avsim? Looks like it can become very good for VFR flyers.. 

Anyone tried it?, kinda expensive though..

I tried the free-trial a couple of weeks back. It was immersive enough (with some issues) for me to try a paid subscription for a month. I've done about 10 flights since (8 VFR and 2 IFR). They rolled out their first stab at IFR earlier this week, and it can already take your IFR flight plan from Simbrief and provide basic IFR coverage from origin to destination if you include a SID/STAR in your route. IFR clearances are fine, but It won't climb you past your initial cleared altitude yet, and I haven't managed to get it to hand me over to other frequencies either (for IFR).

VFR is working much better. Taxi instruction are a bit hit-and-miss at some airports, but as I said above, they're actively developing the word not allowed out of the tool at the moment, and multiple improvements and fixes are rolled our daily.

I've done very little Vatsim flying (but was a PilotEdge subscriber for several months), and this feels like it falls short of PE currently, but is still very immersive and adds a lot to the challenge. There's currently no awareness of other traffic in the skies, so the frequencies can feel quite quiet at times, but they've partially gotten around that issue by adding canned AI ATC instructions (for non-existent traffic) and also by optionally playing other pilots' ATC calls and associated AI responses.

I'm happy to contribute a month's worth of subscription towards the further development of the tool because it has a huge amount of promise. I'll see later in the month whether I continue or leave it for a few months and check back in after new features have been added.

They've also added global ATC coverage in the last two days, so it's no longer just limited to the US!

• Like 1