Sign in to follow this  
SimeonWilbury

NZCH Scenery for P3D?

Hi All

I've been looking at adding to my scenery collection as I explore the idea of doing some round-the-world tours in the FSL Concorde.

One of the airports it seemed to visit a good few times was Christchurch in New Zealand, upon having a sniff around there seems to have been quite a good looking scenery by Godzone for v4/v5 (I imagine a few tweaks would get it working in v5 at the very least), but the developer sadly seems to have decided to withdraw the scenery from sale and I no longer appear to have a legal way of purchasing it.

There seems to not be much on the freeware end, so I was just wondering if anyone might have some pointers?

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

An inexplicable decision to withdraw it from sale. Unless something has happened to the author and no support can be given.

I have it installed in v5 and it’s fine. It looks like the default airport is your only option. ☹️

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

21 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

An inexplicable decision to withdraw it from sale. Unless something has happened to the author and no support can be given.

I have it installed in v5 and it’s fine. It looks like the default airport is your only option. ☹️

From what I can tell the Developer retired, and no longer wanted to offer any support.

I can understand the not wanting to offer support anymore, but I'm generally more than happy to use scenery without any support.

I might just buy Flightbeam's NZAA scenery instead and use that in place of NZCH, not the same airport but would be nicer than flying into default.

Edited by SimeonWilbury

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, SimeonWilbury said:

From what I can tell the Developer retired, and no longer wanted to offer any support.

Fair enough I suppose. Auckland is very good so you’ll be fine with that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Flightbeam's Wellington is also very good. Its a challenging airport too, with a short runway, strong winds and water at either end.

Ian S

38.jpg

The Christchurch developer gave his products for free not so long ago. Cannot remember the web address but I´m sure they are downloadable in some shady site.

41 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Flightbeam's Wellington is also very good. Its a challenging airport too, with a short runway, strong winds and water at either end.

Yes, I was thinking about that one too potentially, although 6000ft is probably pushing it a bit for Concorde in terms of runway length.

37 minutes ago, Nurmblitz said:

The Christchurch developer gave his products for free not so long ago. Cannot remember the web address but I´m sure they are downloadable in some shady site.

I think they did up until the end of last year, so I think I missed the boat for that. I'm not against trying the latter though I do try to avoid that when I can.

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, SimeonWilbury said:

Yes, I was thinking about that one too potentially, although 6000ft is probably pushing it a bit for Concorde in terms of runway length.

Ah, yes, sorry I missed the bit about Concorde. 

Ian S

38.jpg

6 hours ago, SimeonWilbury said:

I'm generally more than happy to use scenery without any support.

And indeed in my searches, there just so happens to be a Legacy FSX Scenery for NFFN, offered for free as it's no longer supported.

Threw that into the sim, redid the exclusions via ADE, and now I have a pretty decent Nadi scenery. Would be nice to see this from more former FSX/ P3D developers.

• Like 1

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

What about ORBX New Zealand South region?  It comes with detailed scenery and airports, although I can't remember how detailed the NZCH airport is compared to the one discussed here. I have occasionally flown Concorde-X from Sydney to Christchurch on FSX many years ago.

25 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

What about ORBX New Zealand South region?  It comes with detailed scenery and airports, although I can't remember how detailed the NZCH airport is compared to the one discussed here. I have occasionally flown Concorde-X from Sydney to Christchurch on FSX many years ago.

Hm, it does apparently give some custom airport markings and the such, although I can't seem to find that much specifici information as to the airports on there.

If it's just changing up the markings and not really changing up the buildings/ textures much I might just go with NZAA

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

When I retired, the cost of maintaining my site became an issue, as I am on a fixed income. There are a number of tools required to supply the downloads etc, which individually don't cost much, especially for a thriving business, but they do add up.

By the way, the main reason why I retired at this time (I'm 67 now) was that I couldn't get access to the MSFS Marketplace. 

In the past, any scenery which I 'retired' from the store became freeware, from the Avsim library, but I understand that the file size for NZCH is larger than their limit. I've just put the MSFS Taieri airfield onto flightsim.to, but I've yet to find a host for the P3D/FSX NZCH. If anyone can offer a solution, let me know.

The reason why support is tricky is that when the business was still active, I maintained 3 versions of Prepar3d with the developer's license -- a monthly subscription. Now I just own the new personal license for v6, which none of my scenery supports natively. 

EDIT: Before I closed my store, I had promised to check to see if it was possible (and easy enough) to add P3Dv6 support to the installer, and although the scenery mostly worked well, the SODE elements -- mostly jetways -- were misplaced. With a bit of a hack, it is possible to install this in v6, although the jetways don't quite join with the terminals.

Edited by toprob
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2024 at 12:14 AM, toprob said:

In the past, any scenery which I 'retired' from the store became freeware, from the Avsim library, but I understand that the file size for NZCH is larger than their limit. I've just put the MSFS Taieri airfield onto flightsim.to, but I've yet to find a host for the P3D/FSX NZCH. If anyone can offer a solution, let me know.

@toprob Not sure if you need any kind of server activation which I could not provide, but if not I'd be happy to host your products for free on our our website at TOGA projects, I may create a dedicated page for them. I've always loved your sceneries and would be glad if it can help you and the community.

Edited by kmax59
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Maxime
TOGA projects

3 hours ago, kmax59 said:

Hi there,

NZCH is now available to download on the TOGA projects website: https://www.togaprojects.com/godzonesceneries

Thanks again Robin for your confidence 🙂

And a lovely piece of scenery it is !

Works perfectly also in P3D V6.