Sign in to follow this  
Swe_Richard

Any motorcycle riders in here?

On 3/17/2024 at 2:38 PM, Bob Scott said:

Then my college best friend went and got himself killed taking a neighbor's new Honda CB900F around the block on the 4th of July while home on leave, and soon thereafter my wife and I started having kids. 

They were a lot of fun, but the real danger seemed like the other guy's problem until it...wasn't.

Yeah, I feel you. An acquaintance of mine collided with an elk with his girlfriend sitting behind him. He flew into the elk and died instantly while the girl flew over it, and as she was in full gear, she survived with just about no injuries.

On 3/17/2024 at 3:50 PM, rmeier said:

Congratulations! Nice looking ride! Have fun...keep an eye on everyone else!

Yeah, needless to say, I am more paranoid than ever.. 😉

On 3/17/2024 at 4:48 PM, DD_Arthur said:

Beautiful. Good luck Richard and remember; everyone else on the road is a potential word not allowed.

Take care!👍

Will do!

On 3/17/2024 at 5:17 PM, Penzoil3 said:

Rule 1- you are invisible !

Rule 2-  should you be seen, they will aim for you !

These 2 rules kept me alive on motorcycles.

Yeah, as a very experienced driver of vehicles with four wheels I know all too well how invisible bikes can be at times. Especially when they're going 'slightly' over the allowed speed. 

On 3/17/2024 at 5:24 PM, charliearon said:

My recommendation would be to get a good set of air horns to replace the cheap beep-beep ones that come with
the bike.  The ones I had saved my word not allowed several times! 

Hmm.. never heard that about the bike, however MANY have commented on the rather anaemic high-beam lights. 

On 3/17/2024 at 6:11 PM, G-RFRY said:

Back in the 50-60s near Brands Hatch motor racing circuit and Farningham on the main A20 road. They renamed Gorse Hill to Death Hill motorcycle rider`s put a record on the jukebox in Kingsdown then raced down to Farningham roundabout and back before the record finished. A lot never made it back. Some impact speeds were around 200+mph head-on with vehicles.

Good lord. Happy to say I can't see myself doing those speeds anytime soon.

On 3/17/2024 at 6:25 PM, jon b said:

Richard, provided you don’t somehow get access to a time and transport yourself and your bike to 1950’s England and attempt to race to a nearby roundabout and back within the space of a record played on a dukebox, then  I’m sure your new triumph will provide you years of enjoyment and fuel for your soul.

Welcome to the fold.

Yeah, I think I am going to love this bike. It will be delivered tomorrow! Super stoked!

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Biggest thing for safety on a bike is making yourself a visible as possible and developing a robust situational awareness. After a friend was killed about 15 years ago riding his Goldwing when someone pulled out I eventually went to high viz gear, upgraded lighting to LEDs, keep visors and windscreens extremely clean and do my best to anticipate word not allowed drivers. Plus I seldom ride at night anymore. Here in Manitoba in the summer it is still light approaching as late as 10:30 PM. Never enjoyed playing Dodge the Deer. Been riding since I was a teenager now 71 this year and ride an Indian Challenger.

As an interesting comparative note i flew rotary wing in the real world from the 1970s to the 1990s before going fixed wing and I knew (or had met briefly) many more people killed flying rotary ( mainly civilian ops) than riding motorcycles. Also, then, there was much less traffic and people knew how to drive.

Still love to ride. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dbw1 said:

Biggest thing for safety on a bike is making yourself a visible as possible and developing a robust situational awareness. After a friend was killed about 15 years ago riding his Goldwing when someone pulled out I eventually went to high viz gear, upgraded lighting to LEDs, keep visors and windscreens extremely clean and do my best to anticipate word not allowed drivers. Plus I seldom ride at night anymore. Here in Manitoba in the summer it is still light approaching as late as 10:30 PM. Never enjoyed playing Dodge the Deer. Been riding since I was a teenager now 71 this year and ride an Indian Challenger.

As an interesting comparative note i flew rotary wing in the real world from the 1970s to the 1990s before going fixed wing and I knew (or had met briefly) many more people killed flying rotary ( mainly civilian ops) than riding motorcycles. Also, then, there was much less traffic and people knew how to drive.

Still love to ride. 

Yup. Visibility was one (of many) tips I got from the instructors (getting a license here in Sweden seems to be quite complicated compared to many other places in the world. You have to be able to jump through a substantial amount of hoops to get it). Here in the northern parts of Sweden the sun practically never sets until August, so there will be lots of 'daytime' rides. Can't wait.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

29 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

Yup. Visibility was one (of many) tips I got from the instructors (getting a license here in Sweden seems to be quite complicated compared to many other places in the world. You have to be able to jump through a substantial amount of hoops to get it). Here in the northern parts of Sweden the sun practically never sets until August, so there will be lots of 'daytime' rides. Can't wait.

I love the long days. Spent a lot of time in the arctic and loved watching the sun going around in a circle. 

1 hour ago, Swe_Richard said:

Here in the northern parts of Sweden the sun practically never sets until August, so there will be lots of 'daytime' rides. Can't wait.

1 hour ago, dbw1 said:

I love the long days

Ahh, the riding season is almost upon us once again, I’m so looking forward to riding again.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Darn, you guys are making want to go bike shopping!

On 3/20/2024 at 7:33 PM, Penzoil3 said:

Darn, you guys are making want to go bike shopping!

Do it! You only live once!

Regret not doing this earlier to be honest. 

• Like 1

Richard

23 hours ago, WolverineHusky said:

Rider here.

My Harley Road Glide Ultra and Ducati Scrambler Pro Sport 1100

Ooh.. I was seriously eyeing the Ducati Scrambler. However I do believe it was 800cc or thereabouts. As for Harleys I know nothing, but I tried sitting on the Street Bob at the dealer and liked it alot!

Richard

Two very different bikes. Choose your bike by the anticipated riding style, not by the visual style.