Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

VFR Flights in default FSX scenery

I wonder where I could find a list of detailed sceneries which can be enjoyable to fly VFR with the default FSX & Acceleration pack...?I would like to fly VFR over some detailed nice places and could not find the detailed areas listed anywhere.If you could recommend from your experience it's excellent as wellThank you

The problem with default is, well it is default. Most of the time, it is pretty bland. With that I mean missing towns, mesh to hilly, repeating landscape, ... .There are some cities that have more detail, like Paris, Berlin, NY (but unflyable for me), London, ... and I leave a few out, but they are restricted in surface.In most places you need a few improvements to really enjoy the grandeur. If you don't want to go payware (understandable), try following : - find a good mesh for the region you want to fly in. Have a look at this website : http://walhalla.mine.nu/fsx.php . It makes it easier to search per country/region.- I can recommend two freeware products here in the AVSIM library : the fantastic Victoria+ by Holger Sandman and company, and Utah Complete by James Udall. Two completely different regions : the west coast of Canada with a lot of seaplane harbors and the arid desert of Utah.- Download and activate a good freeware mesh for the Alps and have a look around Switzerland and Austria.Also don't forget to visit here : http://www.fsdestinations.com/"Welcome to fsDestinations.comProviding fun flight plans and destination ideas for flight simulator fans. Among many details, each flight includes the time enroute, so those with limited time to fly can choose the right destination. "Jan

Guest dswo

Jan's suggestions are excellent. See also the links in my signature.

>I wonder where I could find a list of detailed sceneries>which can be enjoyable to fly VFR with the default FSX &>Acceleration pack...?>I would like to fly VFR over some detailed nice places and>could not find the detailed areas listed anywhere.>>If you could recommend from your experience it's excellent as>well>Thank youFind the folder where you installed FSX. Inside you find a folder called Scenery with lots of subfolders. Look in the following subfolders:- AFRI = Africa- ASIA = Asia- AUST = Australia- EURE, EURW = Europe East/West- NAMC, NAME, NAMW = North America Center/East/West- OCEN = Oceania- SAME = South AmericaInside these folders, check the subfolder Scenery for bgl files with city names (e.g. AFRI/scenery contains cairo.bgl and capetown.bgl) to find those cities with detailed scenery. All these cities contain 3d models of buildings and other landmarks.The folder Cities contains those cities that use aerial or satellite pictures.Everything else is default scenery, generated from landclass info and elevation models.To find interesting landscape, type S to switch to the Outside View, type A to switch to Top Down View, type - to zoom out and look around ...

Just to conclude this issue -I set 2 great sceneries and now have a great area to practice:First I configured the Vicroria+ freeware as you guys suggested and it only gave me the appetite to buy the greate Vancuver+, so now I have both and I am very happy :-yellow1 Thanks again

If you want to fly over the Alps, first download the LOD11 mesh for this part of the world. Go to the web-site mentioned above and look under Switzerland. Set your mesh resolution to 10m - Then go flying !It looks totally amazing..

Bert

Thank you!There are 2 different Landclass files - one for the Zurich area and the other is general, should I install both? if yes, which is above the other?Thanks

I only installed the general one, but I imagine that the detailed Zurich one would go above, if you want it.

Bert