Sign in to follow this  
jmig

Question for Meta Quest 3 owners

I recently purchased a Quest 3, after my HP G2 died. I love the headset in MSFS, with one exception. I can't get the mouse cursor to work while in VR. The system wants the stupid controllers. I am running MSFS via the Remote Desktop app. When I select VR it quickly goes the SteamVR then MSFS appears. Everything else works fine. Just no mouse. Since I use a cockpit with numerous switches and buttons, I can usually get around the mouse, but not always.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

That’s interesting because I have the mouse available, it may be linked to my different setup though.

I have the Microsoft Store version of MSFS and I’m using the Virtual Desktop OpenXR runtime. With that it works ok also with the mouse pointer.

Store version and never had your issue...

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

A friend of mine recently got the Quest 3 and also couldn't use the mouse. I turned out that he had to change a setting: "VR CAMERA RESET" was assigned to mouse axis X. Try to remove that, if it is set.

Thank you, guys. I mistyped in my OP. I am using the Microsoft Store version of MSFS and I’m using the Virtual Desktop. I will look into the VR Camera setting. I want to change it. I even get the white pointer lines shooting through the virtual cockpit even will the controllers not present. Rather distracting and immersion killing. 

John
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Switch the runtime in Virtual Desktop to VDXR, not SteamVR and ensure SteamVR is not running and see how you get on. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

That is my setting in the Virtual Desktop Streamer Application:
Screenshot-2024-03-24-170426.png

guys, maybe someone can help me. Using  Quest3 via airlink with VD. Everything is so far so good. But the only major thing with bothers me is the trees drawing distance... The trees are drawn within 20nm radius. TLOD increase doesn't help... How can I extend the trees drawing distance?

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

On 3/24/2024 at 11:05 AM, AGuther said:

That is my setting in the Virtual Desktop Streamer Application:
Screenshot-2024-03-24-170426.png

There is no image. I would be interested in seeing what you are using. I went on-line and found a post that claimed to fix MSFS and Quest 3. It totally broke my system. I had to reinstall the Quest files.

John

On 3/25/2024 at 2:37 AM, zorro747 said:

guys, maybe someone can help me. Using  Quest3 via airlink with VD. Everything is so far so good. But the only major thing with bothers me is the trees drawing distance... The trees are drawn within 20nm radius. TLOD increase doesn't help... How can I extend the trees drawing distance?

This may be a dumb answer and show my ignorance. However, can the human eye see trees 20 miles away? From my flying days I know you can see things to the horizon, however, distinguishing tress from the background? I am not sure you can do that. Also, what you are seeing, or not seeing, may be a result of your GPU. I know with my RTX 3080, I see scenery popping up far less than 20 miles. 

John

12 hours ago, jmig said:

This may be a dumb answer and show my ignorance. However, can the human eye see trees 20 miles away? From my flying days I know you can see things to the horizon, however, distinguishing tress from the background? I am not sure you can do that. Also, what you are seeing, or not seeing, may be a result of your GPU. I know with my RTX 3080, I see scenery popping up far less than 20 miles. 

I understand what you mean. But when you are 2000 ft high and see the trees are popping up 20 miles (maybe less than 20) away it doesn't look nice... In 2D I did not have such issues at all... My GPU is RTX4090.

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

On 3/24/2024 at 10:51 AM, Donka said:

Switch the runtime in Virtual Desktop to VDXR, not SteamVR and ensure SteamVR is not running and see how you get on. 

That worked. Thanks! Now, if I can only get rid of the light rays coming from my fingertips.

John

2 hours ago, jmig said:

That worked. Thanks! Now, if I can only get rid of the light rays coming from my fingertips.

After you use the controller to select connect to your PC in virtual desktop, it is no longer needed so make you are pointing the controllers away from the screen when you put them down. The pointer lines should then disappear. 

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

15 hours ago, Donka said:

After you use the controller to select connect to your PC in virtual desktop, it is no longer needed so make you are pointing the controllers away from the screen when you put them down. The pointer lines should then disappear. 

My hands are acting as controllers, also. I sorta of remember activating them as controllers when I originally set up the Quest 3. I need to go back and figure out how to turn the hands off.

John

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, jmig said:

My hands are acting as controllers, also. I sorta of remember activating them as controllers when I originally set up the Quest 3. I need to go back and figure out how to turn the hands off.

When you access your software in the headset, you need to find "applications".

Then "settings".

Then select "Devices" from the menu.

Then select Hands and Controllers.

Select the toggle next to Hand Tracking to turn it on or off.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5