Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Confused about performance metrics in MSFS

3 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

Yes, same here when I experimented with that resolution. I could run most places just fine, but there were some bigger, busier airports at that resolution that were a little stuttery, so I decided the resolution wasn't worth the tradeoff in performance, especially when 4k looks so good.

100% agree with that. For me the difference in image quality wasn't significant enough. 4K with DLSS + either DLAA or DLSS ultra quality is perfect (haven't decided which one is best yet). And hey - I can finally hear the Fenix engines spooling up to TOGA thrust over the 4090's fans!

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Posted (edited)

nixed

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ixoye said:

There is no CPU on the market that can handle MFSF today

So pull out the crying towels, because I do not recall a new MSFS version in the last 40 years that didn't totally stress the goto power-CPUs at the time of release.  Much less two-year-old CPU's.  I am saving my next build to coincide with the 4th anniversary of the 2020 release, and beyond the best CPUs that might be available, new two-year old model 4090's alone are in the $2K range????????  I might save $$$ and go to Greensboro and go splits on an off lease 2019 Hondajet. 
 🤔

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Posted (edited)

double post

Edited by s0cks

I'm saving up $$$ for rebuilding my computer completely in order to liquid-nitrogen-cool the CPU 100% of the time! It's important to keep that mainthread nice and cool! 😄 This way I'll hopefully be able to have 100% AIG traffic at KJFK and still be able to break the TLOD 2000 barrier. 

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

7 hours ago, s0cks said:

So we are completely changing the architecture of the sim"

This is what I alluded to in my post. They are redesigning the server-client relationship so that less content has to be downloaded to our computers for the sim to run. This is not changing the "whole architecture of the sim" it is redesigning that part of the architecture. This should help with aspects of performance, launch time, for example, and we may even see some frame-rate increase, depending on how they are handling the server-client interaction. However, the core of the architecture is not changing; the CPU will still be doing the majority of the work. I think it has to be this way because a great deal of what needs to be calculated is not graphical in nature and is more efficiently done on the CPU. What would be nice is if they can manage to better distribute the work among the cores so it is not so main thread intensive, but this has been challenging for every sim. I think the same conditions will apply under 2024 and this means the best decision is to focus on the best motherboard and CPU. However, I am still waiting to purchase my next rig until after we see the 2024 in action and I can confirm this. 

Dan Scott

1 hour ago, Cognita said:

What would be nice is if they can manage to better distribute the work among the cores so it is not so main thread intensive, but this has been challenging for every sim. I think the same conditions will apply under 2024 and this means the best decision is to focus on the best motherboard and CPU.

Absolutely. DX12 is still in beta and has been since SU10 in 2022. So it seems that they're struggling to implement it fully. I've been running DX12 ever since it was available, and I'm a staunch believer that it improves multithreading. It needs to improve more though, for performance to improve, as you mention. 

I don't expect much in terms of performance improvement in 2024 to be honest, but I don't mind being positively surprised. 

During the recent years, Intel and AMD seems to have hit the CPU frequency ceiling and opted for more and more cores and threads instead. Which probably does not help much in the flightsim setting. 

Posted (edited)

I find my 4080 is more than adequate for 60FPS 4k ultra settings and LODs at 200 (I still haven't tried the auto LOD tools yet). 
The GPU runs at less than 50% utilisation at these settings, cool and quiet, which is great, but as people say, it is now the CPU that holds things back and causes hitching occasionally, when the threads top out at 100%.

I have gone from 12900k to 13900k, then to 14900k with a small increase each time.  12900k to 13900k was about 8%, but 13900k to 14900k was only about 3-4%. 
But I still tend to max out on two threads at 100% while the rest are 40% or less.  This is in DX11.

The key to this is for Asobo to concentrate on more multi-threading, which of course they have promised for MSFS2024.
Most people now have 8 cores or more, so I hope they can put I/O on one thread, AI traffic (a well known performance killer) on another thread etc.  I'm sure people get the drift - let's hope they do! 

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I, by any means know nothing about the “MainThread”, “Multi-Threading” jargon. I am not an FPS chaser by any means. My specs below give me a solid FPS of 40-43, with 50% AIG AI. I have capped my FPS @ 43 (RivaTuner), in-game Vsync “OFF” (NCP only), mostly in-game “Ultra” settings including “Clouds”, DLSS “Ultra Performance” (whatever it is called). I have to admit that I am using the “AutoFPS” app as well which by the way seems to do a great job of real time adjusting the TLOD ( around 600 @ highALT. - MSFS setting 200) and OLOD (around 20 - MSFS setting 100). The clarity of the outside scenery is breath taking!  All in all my FPS of 43 seems to be my “Sweet spot”. I am a Happy camper, and my system seems to like it too.

• Like 1

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cognita said:

I think it has to be this way because a great deal of what needs to be calculated is not graphical in nature and is more efficiently done on the CPU. What would be nice is if they can manage to better distribute the work among the cores so it is not so main thread intensive, but this has been challenging for every sim.

Well yes, that's what the second link was about. A new flight aerodynamics system that is multi-threaded, taking a lot of work off a single core, thus massive performance improvements. So they are changing how the sim is loaded and how the flight model is computed. If you ask me, that's basically as close to new architecture as you can get without a full rewrite. But yes, the sim will still probably benefit from a good CPU. Hopefully though, you won't need the best of the best CPU to get good performance. I'm expecting this new sim to not only look better, but run faster than 2020, on the same hardware.

Edited by s0cks