13 minutes ago, tull said:

Absolutley...

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz   2.50 GHz, 32.0 GB Ram, 12GB RTX 3060 Card

Meta Quest 3, Virtual desktop and also Steam VR. I do have open XR toolkit installed but not fiddled about with it yet. Thanks

Okay, first thing I would do is make sure you are not running SteamVR and select VDXR as the runtime in Virtual Desktop. That should give you a noticeable improvement in performance. Enable the Overlay in either OpenXR Toolkit or Virtual Desktop (or both) and see what kind of fps you are getting. I would look to be running DLSS Balanced mode in MSFS VR Graphics settings and see how the performance is. Once we have that as a baseline, we can suggest things that will improve both clarity and performance.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Ok...so I have done that and its running as smooth as it did when I was running steamVR, I'm just running virtual desktop now..its just the clarity I need to work on if that at is possible....Close up its pretty clear its the distance were it falls down...anyway any advice appreciated very nuch. Thank you for your time.

Regards

Paul EGCC

Yup, without any performance overlay, you won't be able to see exactly how much a performance improvement the VDXR plugin provides but it is certainly more efficient that having SteamVR in the mix.

Can you share what your settings are in sim and Virtual Desktop so we can recommend some options? It's a balancing act, you need to improve performance in certain areas to give enough headroom to improve the clarity. Just to set expectations, the distance will never be as clear as on a monitor, or even a VR headset with native display port connection you can get it to be good quality.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:08 AM, Grindathotte said:

I don't know how anyone can fly a helicopter in 2D.

here! I can't even fly it properly in 3D.😃

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

On 4/5/2024 at 9:06 PM, tull said:

Ok...so I have done that and its running as smooth as it did when I was running steamVR, I'm just running virtual desktop now..its just the clarity I need to work on if that at is possible....Close up its pretty clear its the distance were it falls down...anyway any advice appreciated very nuch. Thank you for your time.

Try TAA and see if improves...

On 4/4/2024 at 3:37 PM, concretedan said:

Did my first proper flight tonight using Fenix A320 and simbrief, etc.  Absolutely brilliant it was! 

Fly the Icon in the mountains near sunset. It's pretty amazing.

In for a penny and all that.. I'm thinking about an upgrade to a Gigabyte rtx4080 super.. any thoughts on whether this might sharpen things up and reduce stutters a bit?

Cheers

Dan

For me, the Auto FPS was a game changer. Now the frame rate is aways above 45 fps and the TLOD is as high as possible. No more TLOD tuning...

Dan,

I am not sure that a better graphics card will reduce stutters. To me it seems like stutters is caused by main thread limitations.

My cpu is a Ryzen 9 5900, quite similar to yours and my gpu is an rx 6900. What I did to get the best out of my hardware was to, with developers mode on and fps displayed parked at EGLC airport facing London center, checking the main thread.

There are some settings that are cpu intence, tlod, olod, buildings and raymarched reflections so I keep these at 150, 150, medium and off.

I ended up with 20 ms for the main thread and then adjusted graphics settings until I reached 21 - 22 ms for the gpu so that the gpu is the limiter, not the cpu.

Then I checked the framerate, it was 38 fps but since this was the worst case senario I locked my framerate at 40 fps.

Now it's running smooth, no stutters and the graphics are really nice, everything at ultra or high exept for the above mentioned and trees, grass & bushes and ambient occlusion set to medium. By the way, my headset is a Reverb g2.

You could try this and see where you end up and then decide whether you need a better gpu now or wait and upgrade everything.