Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

My MSFS “missing packages” misery and how I "solved" it

Posted (edited)

I spent the better part of today battling heroically with a hitherto unprecedented MSFS error message:

SWw0qVV.jpeg

This sent me on an arduous ordeal only surpassed by the best Shakespearean tragedies. After a bucketload of blood, sweat and tears, jumping through increasingly ridiculous hoops, I was finally able to “resolve” the issue. 

There’s been quite a few threads on similar topics lately describing various MSFS oddities and idiosyncrasies. But as I didn’t find any recent threads with the same incessant error message, I decided to start a new one.

How I eventually “solved” it:

I finally caved in and went for a complete MSFS reinstall after I felt that I had exhausted all other options...

MSFS idiosyncrasies and increasingly incomprehensible error messages during the ordeal: 

I first installed the recommended "missing packages" (about 3GB).

When MSFS restarted it was still not happy about the missing packages (that I apparently had just installed): 

YO6kQDM.jpeg

It then entered a vicous cycle of restart, same message, download "missing packages", restart etc...

I eventually admitted defeat and did a complete reinstall. I was hoping to avoid installing everything, so I made a backup copy of the Official folder before uninstalling. 

As I still got the "missing packages" error message, I could not see any other solution than downloading everything from scratch... Luckily I got some very decent download speeds courtesy of my VPN:

9rPfCvk.jpeg

If it had given me the "usual" 3Mbps it would have taken me 103hrs, 42mins and 13secs - that's more than 4 days 😅 But seriously - they really need to sort out the appalling download speeds without the user having to resort to "exotic methods". 

Hopefully I'll be able to copy the World Updates from the Official folder backup to avoid downloading them again. 

Highly recommended:

• When a large update (or a complete reinstall) is needed, I highly recommend using a VPN and trying out different servers. Doing this I've been able to increase download speeds from a puny 3Mbps to over 300Mbps. Canadian servers have worked best so far (for some reason, I live in Europe).
  • Selecting a custom folder during MSFS installation
  • Use FastCopy to speed up making a backup of the Official folder

Before reinstalling MSFS I tried this (in vain):

• Signing out then in to MS Store and the Xbox app
  • Leaving SU15 beta
  • Several system restarts
  • Choosing MSFS repair then reset in Windows 11 settings => Apps => Installed apps
  • I tried various Windows repair options (PowerShell as admin):
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • sfc /scannow
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /analyzecomponentstore
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
    • chkdsk /f 
    • chkdsk /r 
  • I reinstalled gaming services (PowerShell as admin):
    • get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
    • start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN

When everything works, MSFS is glorious. But word not allowed like this is driving me crazy  🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Oh that's terrible.....

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

I know this wont help but Asobo is just another example (MS etc) of developers that make cool stuff but really don't focus on fixing the bugs etc before adding content.

It really annoys me

• Like 2

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

Really annoying and time consuming.

Before all of that that happened, as far as you could remember, were you installing or uninstalling anything that could cause the issues that you possibly suspect of, or all of it came from nowhere and without explanation?.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Posted (edited)

Well, I'm up and running again now. Have no idea why MSFS decided to throw such a tantrum out of the blue... Am I getting punished for running AutoFPS with ridiculously high TLODs? 

Some of my settings had been reset, but luckily not my controllers (as I believe that's stored in the cloud). And as I'm using AddonsLinker, putting my addons back in just involves a few mouse clicks. 

And hey - without my 500 or something addons (I don't run them all at once), MSFS starts 100 times faster! 

They really need to sort this word not allowed before 2024 though. 

4 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Really annoying and time consuming.

Before all of that that happened, as far as you could remember, were you installing or uninstalling anything that could cause the issues that you possibly suspect of, or all of it came from nowhere and without explanation?.

Last thing I remember was installing the JustFlight 146, but all that did was just placing it in the community folder. Other than that - nothing that I can think of. 

There's one thing though: I think my misery coincided with the launch of today's beta build... It fits quite well with the timing of the release notes in the MSFS forum. Obviously I'm not going to rush back into the beta anytime soon...

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

5 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

There's one thing though: I think my misery coincided with the launch of today's beta build... It fits quite well with the timing of the release notes in the MSFS forum. 

Looks like being in the Beta could be a risky business... 

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I got this when I uninstalled certain default aircraft that I never use, that are part of some 'Bush trips' or 'Challenges'. I got a hangar full of aircraft that I never use, endlessly scared that I will screw up my fine installation.

I feel your pain.

I keep on saying that there is a real leadership problem at Asobo/MS at least when it comes to quality of the user experience.

Fixing issue like yours shouldn't be part of a user experience!

• Like 1

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

I don't have such issues. It probably goes without saying but I run the Steam edition.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

21 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Am I getting punished for running AutoFPS with ridiculously high TLODs? 

LOL!  Uhh!  Ohhhh!  I may be next  😬

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Suppose I was a junior executive working for Steam. So I walk into the boss' office and say something like. "I have a couple of great ideas. Let's make our game install structure restricted access. And let's name the folders with names ending in  _8wekyb3d8bbwe.

The boss pushes a large button on his desk labeled Security and I am quickly ushered out of the building.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

54 minutes ago, Fielder said:

The boss pushes a large button on his desk labeled Security and I am quickly ushered out of the building.

Good one! 

As I was not able to identify the world updates from my Official/OneStore folder backup, I went ahead and started reinstalling all of those too. Along with some city updates and marketplace purchases (thankfully not many!), that’s another 100GB to download 😩

Suggestion for world updates folder names: World Update 1 Japan… etc. But why make things easy when they can be difficult 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Good one! 

As I was not able to identify the world updates from my Official/OneStore folder backup, I went ahead and started reinstalling all of those too. Along with some city updates and marketplace purchases (thankfully not many!), that’s another 100GB to download 😩

Suggestion for world updates folder names: World Update 1 Japan… etc. But why make things easy when they can be difficult 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why not just install the world updates one at a time when you are preparing to fly there on that day.  Each one takes very little time?  I only have about four or five installed at any one time to conserve storage space.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Just now, fppilot said:

Why not just install the world updates one at a time when you are preparing to fly there on that day.  Each one takes very little time?  I only have about four or five installed at any one time to conserve storage space.

I’ll just let it download everything when I’m sleeping. I tend to fly all over the world. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

How I eventually “solved” it:

again another extremely helpful post, yes no sarcasm here, by Captain  "Auto-fps-frametime variance--DLSS-FG".

instead of starting yet another Avsim-wide search for more or less helpful ideas, you pioneered the solution all by yourself. I think we beta-testers have pretty much all gone through this at least once. the fact that we endure  and tolerate such Asobosoft nonsense confirms once again how much we depend, how much we are addicted and ultimately cherish this best flightsim ever. thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

3 hours ago, turbomax said:

again another extremely helpful post, yes no sarcasm here, by Captain  "Auto-fps-frametime variance--DLSS-FG".

instead of starting yet another Avsim-wide search for more or less helpful ideas, you pioneered the solution all by yourself. I think we beta-testers have pretty much all gone through this at least once. the fact that we endure  and tolerate such Asobosoft nonsense confirms once again how much we depend, how much we are addicted and ultimately cherish this best flightsim ever. thanks for sharing!

Haha, thanks!

I really thought I’d be able to outsmart Microsobo this time though, by making a backup of the OneStore folder. But alas, it was not to be! 😆

And yeah, the perils of being in a beta. Don’t think I’m resilient enough to re-join anytime soon!

• Like 1