Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Getting to know the Po (river) of Italy... (20 Pics) ...

Posted (edited)

This is a topic that has been in mind for some time. While exploring the Apennine Mountain ranges of Italy in the SIM, I'd come across the Po River. Then, in a recent post when I flew the A318 from Lyon to Marseille, south, along the Rhone River valley, it occurred to me that the Po river is also flowing, just across (and over) the Alps...🙂...on my port side window, originating from the Italian side of the Alps, through the expansive Po Valley, named after it, on its way to its merger with Adriatic Sea, just south of Venice.

Rivers always fascinate me...in the real world or in virtual world. When crossing river bridges during road trips, especially during summer months, when I see dry and arid riverbeds of scattered rocks, gravel, and broken tree limbs, I also think how in the rainy season the same bed would be overflowing with water. During one of my longest road trips from Chicago to New Orleans, the Interstate 55 bridge that crosses the mighty Mississippi River near Memphis comes to mind now. A while ago, I'd done a post about the "Brahmaputra River" of the Himalayan origin. I was reading today, due to global climate change, it's now flowing near dry in many places, unthinkable for a river that is known for its astounding flow causing massive floods in its valley during the monsoon months due to seasonal melting of the Himalayan glaciers compounded by torrential rainfall of the north-eastern parts of India.

I read about Italy's longest river, the Po, "The Po River drought in 2022 was the worst of the last 2 centuries, most probably triggered by global warming...", with images of an almost dry Po passing through the city of Turin. One of the important Italian cities on the river's course, Turin, is where I've headed for my flight, today, as I then seek out the high altitudes of the Italian Alps, further west, where the river is born. I also read somewhere, "You need to understand the Po to understand Italy....The Po is part of the national psyche." It is the silent witness to Roman history and is even associated with Greek mythology.

As I've traversed (virtually) almost its entire course from its origin at Pian del Re of Monte Viso, to the Adriatic Sea (see my images below), the most significant thing that struck me is that it's a playful river, changing its course arbitrarily...and whimsically...with scant respect for the laws of nature...🙂...also known for often flooding its banks. After it emerges out of the Italian Alps, 30 miles south of Turin, it makes a sharp 90 degrees turn up north, towards the plains, as if already sensing the obstacles of the Apennines of Genoa (still far) but straight ahead. Just north of Turin, it would make another 90 degrees turn heading now eastward, with its mind set all the way towards Venice, its path free from any more mountains, but in the cradle of the two distinct mountain ranges, the Alps on the north and the Apennines on the south.

So, here we go, as I start off from Bologna (LIPE), head north to first meet up with Po, then follow it along westward to Turin (LIMF), and then venture up into the Italian Alps (which is not for the faint-of-heart...🙂...see my shot #s 16-18) ...to find the origin of Po (see shot # 18, for its originating (source) trickle). Of course, tracking this river's journey would be incomplete without a visit also to its delta and mingling point with the Sea. In my last 2 images, I leave you (and myself) suspended in twilight, above the river and its many gleefully branching-out channels, as the river's 400+ miles journey has finally come to an end, as it (seemingly with a sigh of relief...🙂...) dissolves itself into oblivion, in the endless waters of the Adriatic Sea (and Mediterranean Sea).

Thanks for viewing...!

culw2J.png

6aYZrH.png

v9sxFG.png

uVgIgL.png

c3QCsY.png

b44XU9.png

mSfSrz.png

J4R3sP.png

6qBK93.png

560w19.png

wBwFtr.png

lqosPm.png

Hl2FIF.png

aBDXA5.png

WmnExO.png

WL6gYi.png

oHn192.png

opBjwy.png

WBoEjE.png

Y3LB4b.png

Edited by P_7878
  • Like 7

Very nice shots...the only thing missing is snow! 😉 

• Like 3

Banner-FS2-Crew-Beta-Tester.jpg

t-l-chargement

8 minutes ago, Alaska738 said:

Very nice shots...the only thing missing is snow! 😉 

Thanks, Will...Yes...No snow...🙂....

Not sure but wondering if because of summer and the height of Po River's source being only about 6,500 ft... Need to check it out in Winter, when there is surely bound to be lots of snow...

• Like 1

Fine set P_7878, seems you like planes with hard colors 🙃

cheers 😉

• Like 3

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Very nice flight in a plane carrying your favorite color 🙂🙂

• Like 3

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

great shots...you may have posted this, but if so, I missed it. What sim are you flying? Thanks

Sherm

p3d v5.4

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 12:29 AM, pmplayer said:

Fine set P_7878, seems you like planes with hard colors 🙃

cheers 😉

...🙂...Yes, hard (color) is the word.... Glad you liked it, pmplayer.

On 4/17/2024 at 3:18 AM, bernd1151 said:

Very nice flight in a plane carrying your favorite color 🙂🙂

Thanks, Bernd...! Yes, true...🙂...Not glittering Red but will do...

On 4/17/2024 at 6:36 AM, shermank said:

great shots...you may have posted this, but if so, I missed it. What sim are you flying? Thanks

Sherm

p3d v5.4

Thanks, Sherm. Sorry...missed your query .... It's MSFS2020 on Xbox...I've noted it in the Tags (at top) since I wish folks to know I'm not on PC.

As you know there are some limitations on Xbox, but I'm happy for now. It has been so-far working well with an add-on Controller (plus a Keyboard), on top of the Xbox Controller that I only use for screen captures...So, you use P3D... that has been always a nice SIM for all kinds of airliners...I was on FS9/FSX/SE for about 20 years before this...Cheers...!

• Like 2

Very nice shots P_7878, another lovely area in Europe 🙂. Is that the Asobo B58? Looks good in red but it's totally overpowered...

sometimes I don't understand what they do and they do not overhaul it anymore...

• Like 1

PC: Ryzen 7 3700x AM4, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, Storage SSD 3TB, HDD 8TB, USB 8TB, 2 Screens, Win10-64

SIMs: FSX SE, P3d 3.4/4.5/6.1, Xplane11/12, MSFS, Aerofly 4

On 4/21/2024 at 1:26 PM, andiflyit said:

Very nice shots P_7878, another lovely area in Europe 🙂. Is that the Asobo B58? Looks good in red but it's totally overpowered...

sometimes I don't understand what they do and they do not overhaul it anymore...

Appreciated the comment, Andreas. Yes, you're correct, it's the stock B58, in a Military (Firefighter) uniform.... I believe...

I'd not flown it in a very long while, so thought I would give it a try here...