Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Navigraph AIRAC Update checker is a resource eater

For some time my Dell laptop (i5-8300H 2.3Ghz) has been very sluggish when I've been using PFPX to generate flight plans. It was frustrating as I couldn't work out what the cause was.

Yesterday I found the culprit. NGFMSAgent.exe running to advise of updates to their AIRAC updates. It was easily the most demanding executable in Task Manager. But why? I had already installed the latest AIRAC data. Looking at settings I had the Notification slider at 6 hours. I'm not sure why I would need it to check that often especially when Aivlasoft's EFB show a warning when a new cycle is required.

So I've stopped this program running at Windows startup and PFPX (plus everything else probably) is now much better with no pauses or apparent lockups.

If you have a FMS Data subscription maybe consider stopping it running continuously which doesn't seem logical.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

Very interesting. I also have it running on my desktop.

However, it is using absolutely nothing:  CPU, Disk, Network and GPU usage are all nil 

It is only using 1.3 Mb of memory. The slider was set to 2 hours. Which I have changed to 7 days.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

For some time my Dell laptop (i5-8300H 2.3Ghz) has been very sluggish when I've been using PFPX to generate flight plans. It was frustrating as I couldn't work out what the cause was.

Yesterday I found the culprit. NGFMSAgent.exe running to advise of updates to their AIRAC updates. It was easily the most demanding executable in Task Manager. But why? I had already installed the latest AIRAC data. Looking at settings I had the Notification slider at 6 hours. I'm not sure why I would need it to check that often especially when Aivlasoft's EFB show a warning when a new cycle is required.

So I've stopped this program running at Windows startup and PFPX (plus everything else probably) is now much better with no pauses or apparent lockups.

If you have a FMS Data subscription maybe consider stopping it running continuously which doesn't seem logical.

Ray, this must be very local to your machine. We have not seen any reports like this, and there are thousands of installations of this app. As Ian says, it should be using negligible resources, and we cannot reproduce your report on any of our testing systems.

I suggest reinstalling the FMS Data Manager application. 

Sure, you can safely also disable notifications, or not start it on Windows startup at all, but then you need to remember to update when needed.

Stephen
Navigraph

Stephen O'Connell

@IanHarrison, yes, it is bizarre but i couldn’t see anything else that might have caused it.

@stephendoc, I have this application on three computers and the other two were fine. Reinstalling is an option but I’ll monitor things for a couple of months and see how I get on.

It was a purely factual finding and no criticism of Navigraph is intended. I agree it’s isolated to my laptop which was delivered with W10 five years ago but now running W11Pro. I can’t see that being a factor as the other two machines also have it.

Computers eh? 🤣

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Did you do a clean install when you went to Win 11 Pro or did you upgrade from Win 10?  I've hear of past problems with the upgrade leaving bits and pieces which clutter up operations.

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Forgot to turn on reply notification.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

27 minutes ago, jmdriskell said:

Hi Ray,

Did you do a clean install when you went to Win 11 Pro or did you upgrade from Win 10?  I've hear of past problems with the upgrade leaving bits and pieces which clutter up operations.

Jim Driskell

I upgraded as that was the only option available. Free which makes a nice change. 😁

The laptop is not used for anything heavy. Ai Companion for my P3D flights plus PFPX / TopCat. it’s fine in all other respects.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My experience with the different Navigraph Apps is that they are to aggressive/ invasive.

For example Simlink installs and adds itself to "Startup Apps" under Task Manager.

If you elect NOT to start the simlink app when Windows starts it does not obey that choice.

Closing simlink after my Sim session was done always left simlink running in the background.

The Navigraph FMC Data manager always wants to run in the background.

I just decided to uninstall it and download each AIRAC for my different addons manually.

This was maybe a year ago and maybe the behavior changed with an update.

3 minutes ago, Samaritano said:

The Navigraph FMC Data manager always wants to run in the background.

I just decided to uninstall it and download each AIRAC for my different addons manually.

I can understand the reasons why it runs behind the scenes as it can tell the user when an update is due. But Aivlasoft’s EFB does that on another computer. So I don’t really need the reminder app running irrespective of how much resource it uses.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather