Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

A Few Active Sky Questions

Sorry if this has been mentioned deep into a bunch of AS threads but I thought I'd ask a few questions here.  Hoping this can be clarified. 

1) How does AS differ from the default weather when it comes to live weather (i only fly in live weather)?  

2) Are the clouds visually different than the default?  

3) How does this AS differ from the AS that I used in P3D?  What is missing / what is included?

Basically I was never a fan of the default weather when it comes to how the clouds and the cloud layers were depicted so I was hoping AS would solve that.  Thanks again and sorry if this has been discussed 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Don’t want to come across as overly negative, but currently there’s three threads on the topic. It quickly gets confusing…

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

28 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Don’t want to come across as overly negative, but currently there’s three threads on the topic. It quickly gets confusing…

There are a few threads on Active Sky FS in general, the OP just wants a reply to three answers to three direct questions which are difficult to find in the avalanche of messages in the by you mentioned threads. Aamof, I would like to know the answers to the OP's questions, too, without having to struggle through 100+ messages. 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Posted (edited)

Not to mention that all these questions are answered in depth on the website of HifiSim.

But why bother reading through a product description when you can expect others to do it for you and give a summary?🙄

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hvw said:

There are a few threads on Active Sky FS in general, the OP just wants a reply to three answers to three direct questions which are difficult to find in the avalanche of messages in the by you mentioned threads. Aamof, I would like to know the answers to the OP's questions, too, without having to struggle through 100+ messages. 🙂 

Exactly!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Just now, Farlis said:

Not to mention that all these questions are answered in depth on the website of HifiSim.

But why bother reading through a product description when you can expect others to do it for you and give a summary?🙄

With all due respect, I would rather hear it from the users of the application rather than the ones that created it.  Everything looks fine and dandy on their site but in reality that isn't always the case.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

With all due respect, I would rather hear it from the users of the application rather than the ones that created it.  Everything looks fine and dandy on their site but in reality that isn't always the case.  

The specific questions simply show that you didn't do your homework and now expect us to do it for you.

There is nothing in the actual user experience that isn't answered by Hifi themselves, because they knew people would want to know what they were getting.

You obviously read nothing of that.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned deep into a bunch of AS threads but I thought I'd ask a few questions here.  Hoping this can be clarified. 

1) How does AS differ from the default weather when it comes to live weather (i only fly in live weather)?  

2) Are the clouds visually different than the default?  

3) How does this AS differ from the AS that I used in P3D?  What is missing / what is included?

Basically I was never a fan of the default weather when it comes to how the clouds and the cloud layers were depicted so I was hoping AS would solve that.  Thanks again and sorry if this has been discussed 

I am using Live Weather Preset, which tracks Live Weather in MSFS, in fact when you select that, and you look at Live Weather in MSFS, it is automatically turned off and clear skies are selected. So all the weather generation is done with AS. It looks great. 

The Clouds look much better in AS, in fact I just finished a flight and saw some Cirrus Clouds, which you never see in MSFS.

It's been years since I used FS in P3D, but this looks just as good to me, if not better.. Well worth the $25, won't be flying without it on from now on. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Farlis said:

The specific questions simply show that you didn't do your homework and now expect us to do it for you.

How can one do his/her homework without being in the possession of the product's manual, yet? Don't move away from these questions, please, rather reply to them or don't be a wise acre and patronize the OP

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

I am using Live Weather Preset, which tracks Live Weather in MSFS, in fact when you select that, and you look at Live Weather in MSFS, it is automatically turned off and clear skies are selected. So all the weather generation is done with AS. It looks great. 

the Clouds look much better in AS, in fact I just finished a flight and saw some Cirrus Clouds, which you never see in MSFS.

It's been years since I used FS in P3D, but this looks just as good to me, if not better.. Well worth the $25, won't be flying without it on from now on. 

Thanks.  I appreciate you answering my questions!

• Like 2

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

the Clouds look much better in AS, in fact I just finished a flight and saw some Cirrus Clouds, which you never see in MSFS.

Thanks a lot, Bob, that answers the question I, too, had

Hans

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, hvw said:

Thanks a lot, Bob, that answers the question I, too, had

Hans

When you start looking around this program there are so many features that haven't even been discussed yet. I just looked at the Briefing Section, which gives a total briefing of you flight plan. This is just a screen shot of a portion of the flight briefing. 

spacer.png

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

@Zimmerbz

I suggest you ignore all those posts with zero informative value, though they seem to pile up...

To your point:

It might be a bit different than what you might be familiar with in P3D. The "cloudart" itself is exactly the same as the default. There are no additional textures like REX or HiFI used to offer in P3D.

The wind and turbulence are smoother and more realistic than the overly reactive and very exaggerated default. That's a significant improvement.

The overall depiction is also somewhat different in comparison with the default.  My impression that the "blanket of clouds" so to speak, tends to be more broken with AS while the default has a tendency toward a more overcast representation. I should put an Asterix for that last observation as its based on a limited number of flights I attempted with the program. It's a very initial impression in that regard.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

When you start looking around this program there are so many features that haven't even been discussed yet. I just looked at the Briefing Section, which gives a total briefing of you flight plan. This is just a screen shot of a portion of the flight briefing. 

Bob - have you tried the audio functions? With a flightplan loaded, tune your comm radio to either 122.0, 122.05 or 122.02  to get overall route briefing, departure and destination weather as you fly. I always use 122.02 when flying instrument approaches. Love it!

• Like 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, hvw said:

I can appreciate that, but why not ask these questions in the thread which most people follow?

18 minutes ago, ha5mvo said:

I suggest you ignore all those posts with zero informative value, though they seem to pile up...

A valid point. I don't have the product, and like OP I'm looking for information, especially from people that already have the product. Just finished reading through 24 pages in the other thread. I simply meant that having too many threads simply gets confusing. Or perhaps this comment was not directed at me, nevermind, not important. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 3

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”