Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

British United DC-3 in Scilly Isles (Land's End later) ...

This post is triggered, by a member suggestion, on my Channel Islands (Aurigny Air) post, to also explore the (charming) Isles of Scilly, just about 40 miles (south and west) of (England's) Land's End. It's to be noted that Lizard Point maybe the most southerly point in mainland Great Britain, but it's St Agnes Island of the Isles of Scilly (which we're visiting today) is the southernmost part of England and the entire United Kingdom, edging out Lizard's Point by barely about 4 miles of oceanic water, further southward.

Isles of Scilly, the geography of which I've now a fairly good idea, thanks to the member suggestion, has 5 main islands (see my (superposed) VFR MAP in the on-ground image (shot #1) below, sorry, no nice G1000/G3000 MFD Map here, because I'm flying the DC-3...🙂...). Out of the 5 main (inhabited) islands, St Agnes is the southernmost on my MAP, and St Mary's (EGHE) is the one with a long enough runway (~2,000 ft). I could barely lift off with my (cumbersome) DC-3 from that runway...so please be aware that this is done by a (non)-professional pilot in a closed (home)-course and is not recommended for RW scenario...🙂...I have then travelled clockwise in a circle overflying the 5 main islands seen on my VFR MAP. In the Isle of Scilly, there are very few cars...the few belong to the residents. So, intra-island, one uses Bikes, and Electric Bikes (my choice in Guernsey Island...🙂...), and inter-island, one uses ferry, helicopters, or DHC-6s and BN-2s.

From my visit here, what struck me most, are these "islets" (tiny "usually unnamed" pieces of uninhabitable land; see my images) defiantly sticking above the oceanic waters, strewn all around this area (there are 140 such islets in the Isles of Scilly). In fact, Isles of Scilly was once, ~12,000 years ago, part of the mainland England but got detached and then engulfed by the Ocean, which fact is quite evident by occurrence of these trace "islets" that I would observe (later) on my path while heading towards the mainland (Land's End) ...that trip to be in my Part II Post. 

Please find 20 images below where I've (thoroughly) explored, from above, the unique moods and the splendid beauty of the Isles of Scilly...so near the mainland, yet they seem so pristinely isolated in the endless waters of the Celtic Sea and the wider Atlantic Ocean. Scilly islands (together) may be just one-fourth the area of Guernsey (island) of my previous post, but these islands are equally beautiful and even more interesting in their (cumulative) topographical appeal...

Hope you enjoy this collection of pictures from my tour...! 

[Note: I had actually wished to fly the British Caledonian (BCal) DC-3 for this post, but instead preferred to use a DC-3 equipped with GPS/Autopilot (to reduce pilot workload...🙂...of this intensive tour), so, I've opted for British United Airways (BUA). Coincidentally, I learned later that BUA, that operated for only 10 years between 1960-1970, would be later bought out by Caledonian Airways to eventually form British Caledonian (BCal)... (I'm fond of these airlines affectionately known as the "Callys".... maybe because of that (Scottish) Rampant Lion logo...complete with protruding tongue and extended claws...🙂...none on this BUA livery though...still, if you ask me, the (blue-nosed and cheat-lined) BUA DC-3 looks good here...) ...]

Please expect to see the images of my concluding portion of the trip from the Isles of Scilly to the Mainland...in my next post...

Thanks for viewing...!

IeoU4C.png

g9gjlP.png

aWef7Y.png

qkLbCA.png

uJ5g2v.png

RgSIHl.png

1oMbSf.png

Oc2NRG.png

XME0Z3.png

toZ5YU.png

LgXwJl.png

iZDopS.png

CcsWBW.png

JgoQnx.png

uHX3zY.png

zRtJQK.png

6iEoOv.png

IKjbTw.png

t0ssKS.png

ClQH6h.png

• Like 7

Beautiful images from the weathersimulator P_7878! 🙂

• Like 1

PC: Ryzen 7 3700x AM4, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, Storage SSD 3TB, HDD 8TB, USB 8TB, 2 Screens, Win10-64

SIMs: FSX SE, P3d 3.4/4.5/6.1, Xplane11/12, MSFS, Aerofly 4

Lots to see and explore before the sun goes down.

• Like 1

Beautiful set, and very nice Islands..

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Great set of shots, P_7878, and glad you enjoyed the place! With so many scenery addons on my system it's often a while before I get to re-visit places, but the Scillies are one of those places that I do go back to (relatively) often. It helps that they are sort of in my backyard for real, and there's a lot of nice scenery between me and them as well. Haven't tried them in the DC-3 though. But that's got me thinking I might take the C-130 or the Chinook down there for a trip soon.

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Andreas, Will, John, pmplayer, Andy et al.:

Many thanks for the comments and responses...!

• Like 2