Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Why does runway change after selection

Posted (edited)

Current situation at CYYC wind is 330 at 13 kts. I'm choosing rw 35L from the map to start my flight, but MSFS puts me on rw 17R without further notice. WHY?

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Posted (edited)

That is one of the new options that ATC chooses the best rwy and thus overrides your manual selection. There is a setting in your options to prioritize manual changes over ATC 

away from my PC right now but it may be a setting in your assistance options iirc

Edited by DAD

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Current situation at CYYC wind is 330 at 13 kts. I'm choosing rw 35L from the map to start my flight, but MSFS puts me on rw 17R without further notice. WHY?

From the SU14 release notes:

• Added flight plan assistance setting for ATC in the user experience assistance settings so that users can request the ATC to favor their flight plan or world map flight settings over the current conditions. This assistance is set to “Active” by default. Active: ATC will set the active runway and approach for the departure and arrival airport based on the users flight plan or settings in the world map. Deactivated: ATC will set the active runway and approach based on current conditions only.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

From the SU14 release notes:

• Added flight plan assistance setting for ATC in the user experience assistance settings so that users can request the ATC to favor their flight plan or world map flight settings over the current conditions. This assistance is set to “Active” by default. Active: ATC will set the active runway and approach for the departure and arrival airport based on the users flight plan or settings in the world map. Deactivated: ATC will set the active runway and approach based on current conditions only.

right. It’s in options—> assistance options —> AtC enforce flightplan ON

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Posted (edited)

And as far as i know if this is set to ON and you do not use this runway ( for example the apporach runway ) your logbook shows no landings at this situation.

I mean i see it like this at a last flight..

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

I understand. If I want to choose my runway manually: ATC enforce flight plan OFF, right? I had this setting OFF but MSFS put me on the opposite end anyway. It is especially weird, when the wind situation is 330 at 13 knots and MSFS/ATC thinks that runway 17 is the best ....

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

4 hours ago, Nemo said:

I understand. If I want to choose my runway manually: ATC enforce flight plan OFF, right? I had this setting OFF but MSFS put me on the opposite end anyway. It is especially weird, when the wind situation is 330 at 13 knots and MSFS/ATC thinks that runway 17 is the best ....

I always understood it should be ON if you want ATC to follow your flighplan (in the world screen), and OFF if you want ATC to do whatever it fancies.
Wheter  ATC takes notice of any flightplans you've created in the FMS/GPS after you have spawned in the sim I don't know.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

11 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

I always understood it should be ON if you want ATC to follow your flighplan (in the world screen), and OFF if you want ATC to do whatever it fancies.
Wheter  ATC takes notice of any flightplans you've created in the FMS/GPS after you have spawned in the sim I don't know.

When I fly with PMDG, I usually don't have an active MSFS flight plan. Only PMDG .rte file

- Harry 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Nemo said:

Hello Harry,

I use the WM for starting my plan every time up and MSFS never changes the runway that I will be taking off from.  Here's how I do this in this exact sequence:

1. After entering the departure airport I first select my desired gate/ramp.  My goal is usually to try to select an appropriate one not too far from my planned departure runway.   
  2. I select my arrival airport.
  3. I change from Direct to IFR.
  4. I then input data into Simbrief, which actually ports there from A Pilot's Life, but you might do that manually.
  5. I look at METAR in Simbrief, which is usually close to what MSFS' will be when we can view it.  Based on this and where my departure gate is I will decide which runway I want to depart from, and input that along w/ anticipated arrival airport runway into Simbrief, and then Generate the OFP.
  6. Finally, I will use the SID/STAR that Simbrief chooses, and put those into the WM planner--when you do this is when MSFS chooses the runway you wish to depart on, because it's tied to the SID you've used.

Might seem complicated but it works well for avoiding MSFS deciding on its own which runway you will be departing on.  This approach also allows one to use default ATC if desired as the route will be very close though sometimes not identical since Simbrief is only being used for SID/STAR and creates its own route, but close enough.

And to simplify this...simply chose the correct SID/runway in the planner and that is the runway MSFS ATC will direct you to!

Edited by Noel
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X