Sign in to follow this  
toby23

Can I use FSUIPC and Axis and Oh's to set up a Stream Deck+?

Do you use FSUIPC or Axis and Oh's to set up your Stream Deck?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use FSUIPC or Axis and Oh's to set up your Stream Deck?

• FSUIPC
    • Axis and Oh's
    • I use both for different things but this causes issues
    • I use both for different things and have no issues

I've just bought a Stream Deck Plus and the only tutorial I can find to set it up with MSFS uses Axis and Oh's, which I don't own.

I've seen a few comments online about conflicts if you use FSUIPC and Axis and Oh's together and I use FSUIPC for control assignments, lua assignments, EXE.xml etc

Q. Can I run FSUIPC and Axis and Oh's together with MSFS or not? 

Do any of you do this? If not, is FSUIPC still a requirement for some add-ons or does Axis and Oh's replace it completely?

I've used FSUIPC since FSX and, if I could continue to use it with the Stream Deck Plus, that would be the easiest option.

Thanks

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

I don't own a Stream Deck Plus (I use a Logitech X-56 Pro + rudder pedals). I've used FSUIPC for as long as I can remember, but A&Ohs only for a year or two (I love it!).

Both work together with no problems (on my system at least). You can assign almost anything with A&Ohs, but you don't *have* to. I've "mixed and matched" quite freely. To keep things simple, I use *totally clear* MSFS profiles - leaving all input to be done by either FSUIPC or A&Ohs.

• Like 2

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Posted (edited)

If you have FSUIPC, highly recommend PilotsDeck for StreamDeck.

Edited by level7
  • Like 3

I use just AxisandOhs and the Stream Deck plugin for the Stream Deck software. 

I've read through the A & O manual but there is no mention of LUA scripts.
Can I use A&O to trigger a LUA script or do I need to rewrite the LUA script?

Or am I overthinking this and A&O provides an easier way to, for example, sync heading bug to current heading?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, toby23 said:

but there is no mention of LUA scripts.

AAO does not support FSUIPCs LUA scripts (or anything related to FSUIPC really - they are very different apps). 

AAO primarily uses RPN for scripting, like the simulator itself does in the behavior code of the levers, buttons and switches (so you can replicate that code in AAO more easily). You have the option to write scripts in JScript or VBScript too, if you prefer that. 

The comments about incompatibilites between the two apps will probably be my own mostly. IMHO it is not a good idea to run several apps in parallel that essentially do the same thing(s). This has already lead to trouble with other apps of this category, and I simply cannot rule out the possibility of conflicts when you do this.

There is a fully functional but runtime limited demo version of AAO - it is (again IMHO) imperative that you try it out before purchase. to make sure that you don't buy an app that doesn't want to work for you or causes conflicts with others that you already have.

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)

Thank you Lorby. The demo was enough for me to be convinced to purchase Axis and Ohs. 
Now to figure out how to turn this into a RPN script. Any advice welcomed!

ipc.execCalcCode("(A:PLANE HEADING DEGREES MAGNETIC, degrees) (>K:HEADING_BUG_SET) ")

Edited by toby23
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, toby23 said:

Thank you Lorby. The demo was enough for me to be convinced to purchase Axis and Ohs. 

ipc.execCalcCode("(A:PLANE HEADING DEGREES MAGNETIC, degrees) (>K:HEADING_BUG_SET) ")

This a script that is included in A&O..no need to program it.

• Like 1

I'm just using FSUIPC7 and axis & oh's at the same time. I have a stream deck MK.2 and a plus. FSUIPC is mainly used for flight panel paid profiles, and axis & oh's is used for free profiles. Depending on the product, different profiles with the same functionality coexist, but no particular problems have occurred.

Posted (edited)

@hs118 @Lorby_SI

I cannot figure out how to add this script to a button in A&O. Any tips?

I only seem to have the Scripts included in the screenshot and there is no 'Scripts' option  when I try to Assign the script to a button using Key Down Event in Add Button Assignment.spacer.png

I'd also love to understand how to add commands to my Stream Deck Plus.

Where are the 'simple' instructions for this kind of thing? I have scoured the manual and online but cannot find a guide on how to do this. 

Thanks

Edited by toby23

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, toby23 said:

The RPN code is right there:
(A:PLANE HEADING DEGREES MAGNETIC, degrees) (>K:HEADING_BUG_SET)

Just copy&paste this line into the script from your screenshot (ACT_HEADING_TO_AP), replacing the code that is there, then press "Update" (the code in that script is for XPlane and won't work anyway. My mistake, sorry about that).

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, toby23 said:

there is no 'Scripts' option  when I try to Assign the script to a button using Key Down Event in Add Button Assignment.

Yes there is. The scripts are listed in the same treelist as the rest of all events. All groups that you find in the Script editor appear as groups in that treelist. 

But the script code that you are showing above is for X-Plane. Are you sure that you've installed the correct variant of AAO?? (Edit: Disregard. word not allowed, there is an error in the example script package. Two of the scripts are for XPlane, not for the MS sims. This will be fixed in the next version)

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, toby23 said:

Where are the 'simple' instructions for this kind of thing?

There is nothing simple about it. Writing your own scripts in AAO has a learning curve attached to it, and even more so the correct handling of the StreamDeck (there is a PDF manual for that too, it comes with the plugin package that you download from the axisandohs.com website).

Most people start by downloading ready made StreamDeck profiles from Flightsim.to. There are quite a few taleted simmers who offer their work there.

Also, please note that there is a separate AxisAndOhs support forum here on AVSIM, please post support questions there.

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

13 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Most people start by downloading ready made StreamDeck profiles from Flightsim.to. There are quite a few talented simmers who offer their work there.

Flightsim.to is a great resource. Just so Lorby_SI can't be accused of banging their own drum - I have to say AAOs is a superb piece of programming - very functional and versatile. Highly recommended! 

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

By examining the already made by others streamdeck profiles that use AAO, you can see: What the profiles do in the sim. And what the profiles are (how they are made). With the streamdeck app open you can fiddle with the profiles to see what results happen in the simulator in real time. Sort of learn by doing. You have all your tools on the right in the app and all the commands that were made by those on the left in the app.

This streamdeck app that comes with a streamdeck, allows for quick backups and inside the app it lists all your profiles so that you can quickly change swap them in and out. So you have the virgin profile that someone else made and all your trial modification profiles there to select from inside the app. So you fiddle around to get the profile doing what you want it to do by observing what happens in the sim in  real  time.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.