Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Why the difference in cost between S.AI and BeyondATC?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hs118 said:

If you never wanted to try PilotEdge or tried it and didn't like it, you are probably not a part of the market for SayIntentions (no matter what their final price or capability will be).

This is getting off topic from this thread but I absolutely disagree with this statement. PilotEdge does not cover the entire world, this is a huge weakness of it. That alone ca  be why some people dislike PilotEdge. What good is PilotEdge if you are flying in Africa and there are no controllers for where you want to fly?

This is a similar problem with VATSIM as well. There may not be a controller where you want to fly, when you want to fly.

One big advantage of BeyondATC, SayIntentions.AI, etc, is that you can fly almost anywhere around the world, and there may be controller support for it. And you can fly anytime of the day you like, and there is a controller.

In an ideal world, we would have a very cheap, or free ATC network run by trained human controllers, that is fully staffed 24/7. But we don't have that. Hence we fallback to these ATC programs like BeyondATC, SayIntentions.AI, etc.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

This is getting off topic from this thread but I absolutely disagree with this statement. PilotEdge does not cover the entire world, this is a huge weakness of it. That alone ca  be why some people dislike PilotEdge. What good is PilotEdge if you are flying in Africa and there are no controllers for where you want to fly?

This is a similar problem with VATSIM as well. There may not be a controller where you want to fly, when you want to fly.

One big advantage of BeyondATC, SayIntentions.AI, etc, is that you can fly almost anywhere around the world, and there may be controller support for it. And you can fly anytime of the day you like, and there is a controller.

In an ideal world, we would have a very cheap, or free ATC network run by trained human controllers, that is fully staffes 24/7. But we don't have that. Hence we fallback to these ATC programs like BeyondATC, SayIntentions.AI, etc.

Based on your comment, I believe you have misunderstood me or I was not clear enough. 

Yes, the biggest limitation of PE is limited coverage. But within the coverage area, it is much more like real-world ATC than a scripted product that covers the entire globe.

As I said, SayIntentions is attempting to bring the flexibility and variation of real world ATC to the simulator on a global scale. 

It is in flexibility and variation that PE and SayIntentions as competitors and why SayIntentions has no script-based competitor.

Hope this clarifies my comments to you.

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

SI is not real world ATC. It’s a LLM talking to you with all it’s known inherent flaws. No way to compare to PilotEdge

I do completely understand the distinction you are trying to make, however, you seem to be focused on the semantics to me. Is scripted ATC more real-world? I am happy to re-phrase my comments to describe the experience of SayIntentions as "more like" real-world if that is what you need to process my comments. 

Does BeyondATC allow you to NOT use your voice during interactions with ATC?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, hs118 said:

Is scripted ATC more real-world?

Compared to SI? Actually yes, because SI does not care if your clearance readback is all wrong or if you readback the wrong frequency. But as you said, that's semantics.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yes. It has a button version, which will use a (free) premium voice of your choice for "your" interaction with ATC.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Compared to SI? Actually yes, because SI does not care if your clearance readback is all wrong or if you readback the wrong frequency. But as you said, that's semantics.

I've not seen that issue. However, SayIntentions has made no secret that IFR on their platform is still in development.

PS try some VFR in BeyondATC and let me know how it works 🙂

Just now, hs118 said:

However, SayIntentions has made no secret that IFR on their platform is still in development.

No, it's not that. The dev (Brian) himself said they deliberately renounced on needing to do correct readbacks because users might get frustrated (due to either ChatGPT being stupid or the voice recognition being hard on people with accent).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fiorentoni said:

No, it's not that. The dev (Brian) himself said they deliberately renounced on needing to do correct readbacks because users might get frustrated (due to either ChatGPT being stupid or the voice recognition being hard on people with accent).

Thanks for your heads up. Will verify. As I mentioned, has not been an issue for me.

18 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Yes. It has a button version, which will use a (free) premium voice of your choice for "your" interaction with ATC.

Is there a sense about if n when BATC will control or at least act like it's controlling AI traffic?  I do appreciate that in default ATC and if MS/A comes out with better voices (doubtful I imagine) and improves the obvious deficiencies it's still a possibility to stick w/ for me.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

16 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

.....due to either ChatGPT being stupid....

Enjoy, my query yesterday:

User
You
What US state is closest in square miles to the Netherlands?
ChatGPT
ChatGPT

The US state closest in size to the Netherlands is Maryland. The Netherlands has an area of approximately 16,040 square miles, while Maryland has an area of approximately 12,407 square miles.

User
You
What US state is at least 14,000 square miles but not more than 15,000?
ChatGPT
ChatGPT

Massachusetts is the US state that fits your criteria, with an area of approximately 14,800 square miles.

User
You
Do you realize the inconsistency you just exhibited?
ChatGPT
ChatGPT

You're absolutely right, and I appreciate your patience. Let me correct that: Michigan is the US state that fits your criteria, with an area of approximately 96,714 square miles. Thank you for catching that mistake!

User
You
OMG! I gave you a very basic question and your answers are all very wrong
ChatGPT
ChatGPT

I apologize for the oversight. Let me correct that:

The US state that is closest in size to the Netherlands, with an area of approximately 13,980 square miles, is West Virginia.

User
You
How many square miles in West Virginia
ChatGPT
ChatGPT

West Virginia has an area of approximately 24,230 square miles.

• Like 7

Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

To initiate an interaction (e.g. ask for IFR clearance), you can click on that request, and the pilot's computer voice will say it.

You also have the option to let the software handle the replies/readbacks.

So in short: you can decide to use voice recognition for initiating an interaction; handle responses; both; or none.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noel said:

As Turpentine has mentioned, you can probably complete an entire flight without using your voice at all. There are options to select for your reply on the BeyondATC window, similar to when MSFS gives you multiple options to click on in the ATC window. Having said that, I have not tried an entire flight in BeykndATC just by clicking on the options. I only click on them when I am stuck and BeyondATC doesn't understand my voice instructions.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

8 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

you can probably complete an entire flight without using your voice

You can scrap that 'probably'. 😉 In all my months of using BATC I haven't said a single word (to BATC at least LOL). I don't even have a mic attached to my PC. Since last week you can toggle the UI with a single key/button and 'say' the first request with another key/button which makes it all quite convenient. (Would be even better if BATC would get an ingame panel and options to say every possible request with a key/button but the current setup works well.)

• Like 3

@Noel Chat GPT definitely isn't the be all and end all. I frequently use it to give me pointers in MSAccess - 9 times out of 10 it's solutions do not work, although it gets me far enough that I can figure it out myself.

Sometimes it is faster than trawling the  internet, but it is funny seeing it "reaching" when you tell it that it's wrong.

Guess SI has some barriers up to prevent it's total stupidity!

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron