Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

GEX? You gotta be kidding me!

Hi George,just to set expectations before people rush to buy GEX as a "performance enhancer" ;-)GEX does not (!) include any scenery objects of its own, autogen or otherwise. Thus, the only way it can improve on fps is by taking away something, be it autogen density, autogen diversity, or placement of Type 2 objects (complex autogen objects like factories, etc.).If FSX perfomance improvements is your primary concern you can get the same effect by moving the autogen density slider more to the left, deactivating or editing default.xml, setting TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL, etc.I'm not saying GEX isn't a good add-on, I'm just saying there's no magic bullet here; you get better fps because the number of objects FSX has to display is being reduced.Cheers, Holger

I haven't had a lot of time to experiment yet ... but besides the better color, and apparent faster texture loading response, the third thing I happened to noticed was that my fps were up. I'm not going to make any exact numerical claims ... I don't have nearly the same bump George is experiencing but I have DEFINITE bump upwards. So I don't know if what is going on... if GEX changes Autogen in some way... but my FPS are, without a doubt, higher everywhere. It seems most pronounced in more rural areas and to a lesser extent, but definite improvement around SEATAC. I haven't changed anything except to go from GEX to GEX enhanced (no other settings changes).Steve

Guest Nick_N

Just to set the record strait, yes autogen was removed (actually moved around) but it was done in a very clever way to work with the enhanced textures... I swaped textures/ag files around and moved some of the loads from high impact areas then replaced those with textures which were designed to fool the eye into thinking there is more on the ground than there really was. Anthony also did some patch work as well.That, coupled with the way I enhanced the textures to give them a similar response the the rendering engine as a 3D baseball card, that fools the eye into believing there is more autogen when its really flatSo yes, they are right.. the performance is indeed higher (which is subjective to the computer being run) because of the way we re-processed and configured the textures, it does not look like anything was removed.. it looks like more was added instead.:)Side note... Anthony and I are also reworking the entire UTX LUX Custom Landclass Layer with the same GEXn process and a patch will be released within a few days. This patch will also include some fixes and changes for those not using UTX

Guest Nick_N

you are most welcome George It was my pleasure! that's what it was all about... making sim more pleasurable and more realistic for everyone

Well, if either of you are ever in the KTVC area give me a heads up, the first one's on me! Maybe the second one too

Guest danny68

Thanks for that Holger,Where do we find the default xml you are talking about. I would like to try an experiment to edit the type 2 objects. I have a strong feeling this is what GEX does to make the biggest difference.Dan

Hi there,Dan, default.xml is in the Autogen folder. There's a section in the FSX SDK on how to edit it.I used Annotator.exe to look at the GE-X autogen annotations in more detail. For the inner city textures (029, 033, 049, etc.) GE-X removes Type 2 autogen entirely except for the odd religious building. Even in the non-urban areas, Type 2 autogen is used much less than in FSX default.Moreover, I noticed that the overall count of autogen placements per tile is often reduced. For example, 029 (Large City) GE-X has a tile with 1027 placements while FSX default has 2452 placements on the same tile. Another example (033) is 967 GE-X vs. 1638 in FSX. In non-urban areas placement densities are about the same.Thus, at the same slider settings, in urban areas, GE-X shows about 40-50% less autogen objects and ~90% less Type 2 objects. No wonder there's an fps gain ;-)Like I said before, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most FSX users will appreciate the fps gain and may never even notice the reduced autogen diversity in the cities. Nick has pointed out that the intention is to replace the 3D objects with 2D look-alikes in the textures. Still, it would be nice to at least have the option of keeping the whole variety of Type 2 objects in the sim.Anyone interested in what Type 2 autogen looks like can check out the visual catalog here: http://lc0277.nerim.net/sceneobjects/ (it's the "Autogen" subcategory). These are malls, factories, gas stations, warehouses, small businesses, etc., custom objects that are more complex than "normal" autogen and thus eat more frames.Cheers, Holger

Guest Nick_N

>Like I said before, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most FSX users will appreciate the fps gain and may never even notice the reduced autogen diversity in the cities. Nick has pointed out that the intention is to replace the 3D objects with 2D look-alikes in the textures. Still, it would be nice to at least have the option of keeping the whole variety of Type 2 objects in the sim.Thanks for pointing that outAs I said in another forum, In a year or so when affordable (next-gen)hardware catches up to the sim, the design can be reconsidered... until then, its the way it is and we are not going to risk people losing performance over a bad design "for the hardware times". That is what ACES did when they first released FSX and we are not one to make the same mistake.there ARE factories, churches and type 2 objects...(perhaps not as many as people would prefer) they are simply placed where they can be SEEN when the right area is being flown so you take notice of them when the right time comes along and most do not feel a need to read the Exxon sign on a gas station when on final to JFK..in a huge resource hitting add-on aircraftIf anyone REALLY misses a gas stations, McDonalds, KFC, or other items in these images, please let me knowhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=25058And we are further upgrading things from those images, especially nights, with a soon to be released patch too which will address some mask issues and layout problems, and, upgrade more textures, ta boot! There are other methods of accomplishing layout but we are using the default method designed into the sim and not layering an entire new continent. In that there are limits and always will be but for the price you get a heck of a show and one that not many take notice of elements which will not improve their sim performance, or appearance if its "piled on" like default does.:)

Guest exmixer

Nick,LOL, for real, those be 'Royal Family' dogs? ;-) New shots with GEXnhncd [a href=http://www.exmixer.com/QuickGEXpage/ComparisonNew.shtml]here[/a]. Liking GEX-n, fun stuff, and thanks for the previous config tips.jb[a href=http://exmixer.com/fs.shtml]FS9/FSX stuff[/a]Falcon Northwest Mach VIntel C2D Extreme X6800EVGA 680i4 GB Corsair Twin2Xx2048-8500C5BFG 8800GTXDual-boot XPPro/Vista Ult.Full specs in the link above

Hi everyone,So will this have a positive impact framerate wise on UTX USA, Canada and Europe?And to Holger, do you think this will do the same for Vancouver+?If it is like I have read I will be purchasing as soon as I get a positive answer.Thanks a bunch fellas!

Your mileage may vary. GEX is not a 'fps-improver', period. Fps improves mainly thanks to another usage of autogen (simply put: it uses less autogen, specially the complicated autogen). In my case (I tried the not-enhanced version) it didn't make a noticable difference.