Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

GEX? You gotta be kidding me!

Hi George,just to set expectations before people rush to buy GEX as a "performance enhancer" ;-)GEX does not (!) include any scenery objects of its own, autogen or otherwise. Thus, the only way it can improve on fps is by taking away something, be it autogen density, autogen diversity, or placement of Type 2 objects (complex autogen objects like factories, etc.).If FSX perfomance improvements is your primary concern you can get the same effect by moving the autogen density slider more to the left, deactivating or editing default.xml, setting TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL, etc.I'm not saying GEX isn't a good add-on, I'm just saying there's no magic bullet here; you get better fps because the number of objects FSX has to display is being reduced.Cheers, Holger

I haven't had a lot of time to experiment yet ... but besides the better color, and apparent faster texture loading response, the third thing I happened to noticed was that my fps were up. I'm not going to make any exact numerical claims ... I don't have nearly the same bump George is experiencing but I have DEFINITE bump upwards. So I don't know if what is going on... if GEX changes Autogen in some way... but my FPS are, without a doubt, higher everywhere. It seems most pronounced in more rural areas and to a lesser extent, but definite improvement around SEATAC. I haven't changed anything except to go from GEX to GEX enhanced (no other settings changes).Steve

Guest Nick_N

Just to set the record strait, yes autogen was removed (actually moved around) but it was done in a very clever way to work with the enhanced textures... I swaped textures/ag files around and moved some of the loads from high impact areas then replaced those with textures which were designed to fool the eye into thinking there is more on the ground than there really was. Anthony also did some patch work as well.That, coupled with the way I enhanced the textures to give them a similar response the the rendering engine as a 3D baseball card, that fools the eye into believing there is more autogen when its really flatSo yes, they are right.. the performance is indeed higher (which is subjective to the computer being run) because of the way we re-processed and configured the textures, it does not look like anything was removed.. it looks like more was added instead.:)Side note... Anthony and I are also reworking the entire UTX LUX Custom Landclass Layer with the same GEXn process and a patch will be released within a few days. This patch will also include some fixes and changes for those not using UTX

Guest Nick_N

you are most welcome George It was my pleasure! that's what it was all about... making sim more pleasurable and more realistic for everyone

Well, if either of you are ever in the KTVC area give me a heads up, the first one's on me! Maybe the second one too