Sign in to follow this  
FalconAF

FSX Scenery.cfg Help, Please

***NOTE: Posted in "Plain Text" so the scenery.cfg file entries will show correctly. ***I have no idea how the below happened. I've searched the forum posts here for anything that might resemble it and can't find a similar problem or solution. If anybody can assist, it would be greatly appreciated.Below is a "condensed" copy of my current FSX scenery.cfg file located in my WinXP C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSX folder. The [General] heading refers to FS9, not FSX (Note: The scenery.cfg file in my root FSX folder has the same [General] entries referencing FS9, but has different "errors" in it also...so my "template" scenery.cfg file in the root FSX folder appears to be wrong also). I "cut" the first 113 Area.xxx entries from the copy below (to keep the list shorter for posting here) because they all appear OK. Area.114 is the last Area listing where the Area.xxx number agrees with the Layer number. All Area numbers after 114 have incorrect Layer numbers (they don't agree...I don't think that should be happening, but I may be wrong about that). Finally, starting after Area.148, the Area numbers themselves are out of sequence.I have no idea how this happened. Is there a way to correct this other than manually editing the scenery.cfg file referencing the Scenery Library? Is the [General] heading entry referencing FS9 even valid for an FSX scenery.cfg file? If not, could you list the proper entries for an FSX scenery.cfg file [General] headings?This one has me baffled. I sure don't want to have to re-install FSX and everything I have added to it already if there is a "quick fix" for this.Thanks for any help.------------------- [GENERAL]Title=FS9 World SceneryDescription=FS9 Scenery DataClean_on_Exit=TRUE(NOTE: Area.001 thru Area.113 "cut" from list to reduce post size)[Area.114]Title=Propeller ObjectsActive=TRUELayer=114Required=TRUELocal=SceneryProps[Area.116]Title=Addon SceneryActive=TRUELayer=117Required=FALSELocal=Addon Scenery[Area.117]Title=UT Exclusions For Default SceneryActive=TRUELayer=127Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtExcl[Area.118]Title=UT Usa LightingActive=TRUELayer=128Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtUsaLights[Area.119]Title=UT Landclass - VegetationActive=TRUELayer=129Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtLcVeg[Area.120]Title=UT Landclass - UrbanActive=TRUELayer=132Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtLcCity[Area.121]Title=UT Landclass - CustomActive=TRUELayer=133Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtLcCust[Area.122]Title=UT Usa RoadsActive=TRUELayer=134Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtUsaRoad[Area.123]Title=UT Usa RailroadsActive=TRUELayer=135Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtUsaRail[Area.124]Title=UT Usa WaterActive=TRUELayer=136Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtUsaWater[Area.125]Title=UT Usa Ground PolygonsActive=TRUELayer=137Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtUsaGP[Area.126]Title=UT FSX Object RepositioningActive=TRUELayer=138Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtObjRepo[Area.127]Title=UT FSX WaterclassActive=TRUELayer=139Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtWc[Area.128]Title=UT Canada LightingActive=TRUELayer=140Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtCanLights[Area.129]Title=UT Canada RoadsActive=TRUELayer=141Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtCanRoad[Area.130]Title=UT Canada RailroadsActive=TRUELayer=142Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtCanRail[Area.131]Title=UT Can WaterActive=TRUELayer=143Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtCanWater[Area.132]Title=UT Can StreamsActive=TRUELayer=144Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtCanStream[Area.133]Title=UT Canada Ground PolygonsActive=TRUELayer=145Required=FALSELocal=SceneryUtCanGP[Area.134]Title=MegaSceneryX LasVegasActive=TRUELayer=147Required=FALSELocal=C:Program FilesRICKS GAMESMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator X AddonsMegaScenery XLasVegasLasVegas[Area.135]Title=MegaSceneryX SocalActive=TRUELayer=148Required=FALSELocal=C:Program FilesRICKS GAMESMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator X AddonsMegaScenery XSocalSocal[Area.136]Title=VicPlus Lower PriorityActive=TRUELayer=150Required=FALSELocal=C:Program FilesRICKS GAMESMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator XFSAddonVictoriaPlusVicPlus Lower Priority[Area.137]Title=VicPlus Higher PriorityActive=TRUELayer=151Required=FALSELocal=C:Program FilesRICKS GAMESMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator XFSAddonVictoriaPlusVicPlus Higher Priority[Area.138]Title=VEGAS_XActive=TRUELayer=152Required=FALSELocal=Addon SceneryVEGAS_X[Area.139]Title=Utah CompleteActive=TRUELayer=153Required=FALSELocal=Addon SceneryUtah Complete[Area.140]Title=KTPH TonopahActive=TRUELayer=156Required=FALSELocal=Addon SceneryKTPH Tonopah[Area.141]Title=KTNX Tonopah Test RangeActive=TRUELayer=157Required=FALSELocal=Addon SceneryKTNX Tonopah Test Range[Area.142]Title=KSEA Seattle asbuilt v2Active=TRUELayer=158Required=FALSELocal=Addon SceneryKSEA Seattle asbuilt v2[Area.143]Title=KLSV Nellis AFBActive=TRUELayer=159Required=FALSELocal=Addon SceneryKLSV Nellis AFB[Area.144]Title=Reno Acceleration PackActive=TRUELayer=161Required=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesReno[Area.145]Title=Longleat Acceleration PackActive=TRUELayer=162Required=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesLongleat[Area.146]Title=Istanbul Acceleration PackActive=TRUELayer=163Required=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesIstanbul[Area.147]Title=KEDW Edwards_AFB Acceleration PackActive=TRUELayer=164Required=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesEdwards_AFB[Area.148]Title=Berlin Acceleration PackActive=TRUELayer=165Required=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesBerlin[Area.150]Title=New FSX Library Objects_for KDENLocal=Addon SceneryNew FSX Library Objects_for KDENActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=115[Area.149]Title=KATL Atlanta HartsfieldLocal=Addon SceneryKATL Atlanta HartsfieldActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=160[Area.152]Title=MM_PHNG_for_MegaSceneryXLocal=Addon SceneryMM_PHNGActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=154[Area.151]Title=MM_PHJR_for_MegaSceneryXLocal=Addon SceneryMM_PHJRActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=155[Area.153]Title=MyTrafficLocal=MyTrafficActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=116[Area.154]Title=FS Genesis FSX LandclassLocal=Addon SceneryFS Genesis FSX LandclassActive=FALSERequired=FALSELayer=131[Area.155]Title=Scenery Tech North America Landclass FSXLocal=SceneryTechLandclassNAActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=130[Area.156]Title=Scenery Tech Europe Landclass FSXLocal=SceneryTechLandclassEUActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=122[Area.157]Title=Scenery Tech Asia Landclass FSXLocal=SceneryTechLandclassASActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=146[Area.115]Title=UT Europe LightingLocal=SceneryUtEurLightsLayer=119Active=TRUERequired=FALSE[Area.158]Title=UT Landclass - Custom (Europe only)Local=SceneryUtLcCustEurLayer=121Active=TRUERequired=FALSE[Area.159]Title=UT Europe RoadsLocal=SceneryUtEurRoadLayer=120Active=TRUERequired=FALSE[Area.160]Title=UT Europe RailroadsLocal=SceneryUtEurRailLayer=123Active=TRUERequired=FALSE[Area.161]Title=UT Europe WaterLocal=SceneryUtEurWaterLayer=124Active=TRUERequired=FALSE[Area.162]Title=UT Europe StreamsLocal=SceneryUtEurStreamLayer=125Active=TRUERequired=FALSE[Area.163]Title=UT Europe Ground PolygonsLocal=SceneryUtEurGPLayer=126Active=TRUERequired=FALSE[Area.164]Title=MegaSceneryX Hawaii OahuLocal=..Flight Simulator X AddonsMegaScenery XHawaiiOahuHawaii OahuActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=149[Area.165]Title=Ricks AFX AFCAD ModsLocal=Addon SceneryRicks AFX AFCAD ModsActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=118------------------

Rick Ryan

First, the (GENERAL) entry referring to FS9 is correct - for both the file in the FSX root directory and the one in the Documents and Settings folder.Second, in FSX the numbering scheme can be different so the fact that your (Area.N) don't match the Layer=N does not matter. For example:[Area.281]Title=USA Aspen Fld Aspen Colorado (KASE) AerosoftLocal=AerosoftAspenKaseActive=TRUELayer=2Required=FALSE[Area.282]Title=USA AspenX Fld Aspen Colorado (KASE) AerosoftLocal=AerosoftAspenXActive=TRUELayer=282Required=FALSEThe thing you need to worry about are the path statements. If they are not correct then your scenery will not display. Of course, if the paths are not correct then FSX will tell you during bootup of the program. There will be an error message. If you don't get an error message then relax. If you do get an error message, open the scenery.cfg file using Notepad and correct the error.fb

Holgerfbass,OK, thanks for the replies. I ran the scenery.cfg utility and it re-organized the file. It agrees now with my Scenery Library. No error messages on FSX start-up, so everything looks fine.I never noticed before that FSX used the FS9 reference under the General section of the file. That one threw me for a loop. I thought maybe I had "contaminated" the .cfg file for FSX from my FS9 install somehow. Thanks for that heads-up, fb.

Rick Ryan

Hi FalconAf,I was having the same problem and have run the program which Holger suggested, but I have run into a dillema, if you will. I put the program into my fsx folder (under all users/appdata) but even after runing and it saying 115 entries created, on Flight Sim startup the error still occurs. What am I doing wrong?I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to help me and apologize for my ignorance on the subject matter.Airindia16

I just reread the README for the file which Holger put the link for and it says to copy the scenery sfg file into the fsx main folder, am i supposed to overwrite the file already in there? Or does that mean it doesnt need to be copied?thanks,airindia16

I just reread the README for the file which Holger put the link for and it says to copy the scenery sfg file into the fsx main folder, am i supposed to overwrite the file already in there? Or does that mean it doesnt need to be copied?thanks,airindia16
I re-read the instructions also and did not see anything that said to copy the scenery.cfg etc..What it does say is that FSTscenery.exe and scenery.cfg must be in the same folder.They scenery.cfg which FSX uses is NOT the one found in the main FSX folder (as was the case with FS2004). The correct scenery.cfg is found in the same folder as your FSX.exe file. As I understand it, the one found in your main FSX folder is a backup of the default entries so do not overwrite it.I use that utility in both setups (FS2004 and FSX) and it has served me very well.

The scenery.cfg which FSX uses is NOT the one found in the main FSX folder (as was the case with FS2004). The correct scenery.cfg is found in the same folder as your FSX.exe file.
Please allow me to correct a major typo in the above:It should read - "The correct scenery.cfg is found in the same folder as your FSX.CFG file".(Application Data / Microsoft / FSX)Twas too early in the morning when I wrote the other. My apologies.

Please allow me to correct a major typo in the above:It should read - "The correct scenery.cfg is found in the same folder as your FSX.CFG file".(Application Data / Microsoft / FSX)Twas too early in the morning when I wrote the other. My apologies.
No problem for the typo but the readme says:--readme below--Use:====Place FSTscenery.exe and scenery.cfg in the same folder. Double-click FSTscenery.exe to run the program.The application creates a copy of your original as scenery.organd constructs a new scenery.cfg file in the same folderMove your new scenery.cfg file to your FS folder, if created elsewhere.--readme above--So, first of all, I need to clarify something. Is the original scenery file called oldscenery? is the new created one simply called scenery? And then, when copying the scenery file to the main "Fsx folder" it asks me if i wanted to replace the scenery.cfg file in the fsx main folder. I am lost!Please help! The problem is still persisting and i am unable to play fsx. And I have tried attached my scenery.cfg and oldscenery.cfg file from application data to see if that is of any relevance, but am unable to. It says i cannot upload this type of file. What am I doing wrong there? :( thank you very much again "Opa"!best whishes,Airindia16

Airindia,Do it the easy way. Forget about "copying" or "moving" the scenery.cfg file ANYWHERE, as recommended in the readme file. That is a totally unnecessary step.Just place the FSTscenery.exe file in the SAME FOLDER where the scenery.cfg file THAT FSX USES is located. For me using Win7, that is "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX". If you have a different OS (Vista, XP, etc) the location may be different. The key here is that the "scenery.cfg" file found in the MAIN FSX folder is NOT the one FSX uses. It is only a backup, and will NOT agree with the entries in your current FSX Scenery Library.After doing the above, just create a desktop shortcut for the FSTscenery.exe file. Then you can left-click it and it will fix your scenery.cfg file in less than a couple seconds. It will also save that "oldscenery.cfg" file in the same folder where the "real" scenery.cfg file is located, and where you now have "FSTscenery.exe".Everything is then nice and neat, and there is no need to "copy" or "move" the scenery.cfg file anywhere.Rick

Rick Ryan