Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

How to stop AVG antivirus scan from deleting my addon f...

Hope nobody got the idea I was bad mouthing Flight1 or any other of the fine contributors to flightsim: I realize that the glitch is in AVG, not them.Reggie: I am ready to buy into your advice that I am getting just what I pay for. What payware Antivirus program do you use and recommend? Respectfully:RTH

AVG is known to report the F1 wrapper as a virus. It's a false positive.AVG have been notified of this in the past but choose to not do anything about it.

Thanks for this post Manny:Seems to me that this one deserves to be flagged in some way, possibly a sticky as I don't guess we really know how many items may have been affected by the AVG update, or updates in question. It definitely disables more than just flight1 products. My first recognition of the problem was loss of my video drivers for the displays off of my secondary video card. Who knows just what else may have been zapped.I just went back to check all of my aircraft from Flight1 in both FS9 and FSX. The LDS 767 had no problem on my system, but I discovered that it did disable the Dreamfleet 727 (about the only Flight1 bird I have not been able to import into FSX). The LDS 767, Cardinals, Cessna 421, DC9, Baron, Twin Comanche, and Eaglesoft Citation CJ, II, and X had no problems. One wonders what other items may have also been disabled such as utilities, scenery etc.Simply unzipping and installing the "flt1chk3.dll" and "flt1chk4.dll" into the WindowsSystem32 folder did the trick to enable the 727. Thanks to Howard's (DescendDescend) link above, and Steve Halpern's recommendation in that link for this fix (Thanks Howard and Steve).Besides Norton of which I have already been burned, what other recommendations might those reading this thread have for a reliable first class payware antivirus program (without the problems in question)? How about Kaspersky or Panda? On just a Google search, I see them recommended by some sources. I buy into Reggie's statement that I got what I paid for in the free AVG program, although it has worked well for several years unless I had losses I did not know about. For me personally, I think it has just about run its course though.Thanks:RTH

Yeah its a good idea ive been suffering this problem for a while not being able to purchase some brilliant flight1 products.Yes thanks to manny for posting this and i now have my fix for the problem as im sure many others do to.Richy

In the past I've used versions of Symantec/Norton and been pretty happy with them, but the series of programs does use a lot of resources. The company I work for uses Symantec, we are just starting to deploy Symanted End Point Protection 11.I would not recommend it for use with FS.I've also used McAfee and CA Anti-virus. The CA product was pretty good.Currently I'm using NOD32. It seems to work well with FS2004 and FSX, and in my home mixed Vista / XP environment. Minimal load on the operation of FS2004 and FSX.Since I'm looking at ten seat licensing per year (my computers and those for my daughter's and son's families), cost is a significant factor.I'm happy with the company which produces NOD. They are responsive to licensing questions. I have one computer setup at home to download the AV definitions and the other computers pull their definition updates from that computer. Reduces network traffic.The CD even arrived promptly. I try to never buy programs/ addons which are not available on CD.I'm not real happy about their support system, but the forum approach they use has answered all my questions/ concerns in a prompt manner.I don't know if there is a 'best' AV product, however, I know for certain from these forums and from dealing with anti-virus in a multi-thousand computer corporate network that most of the advertising and such are crap.The number of times per day that a company releases AV definition updates is not a positive factor in my opinion. All that really means is they do little or no beta/impact testing of the new definitions. The users are the beta team.Every single AV company has had many bad definitions with tons of false positives over the recent years.They have caused millions of people to delete perfectly good files and programs without a valid reason.Many folks may not be aware that the AV programs now spend a large amount of their time/ programming talent not on viruses.They are focusing on spyware, malware and adware as their new selling points. The problem with that is one company's definition of spyware is a vendor's definition of a purchase system, or a licensing key, or a support system.Some AV programs call Apple iTunes spyware because it reports and tracks everything you play.But to sum it up, just because an anti-virus program says a file is suspect does not mean there is a virus. The OP on this thread did not have AVG reporting a virus.What happens, and AVG is not the only culprit - just a major one - is they mark a suspected file.At that point in my experience, it is time for the program to prove to me the previously known good file is bad.Not the other way around.I do not trust ANY anti-virus program with scans of my computer to automatically delete or remove files.And if the program does not have the capability for me to mark a file as safe - then I will not use it.

Thanks ever so much for the input Reggie:At the present time, I am peeking at the following:1. The Shield Deluxe 20082. Panda Anti-virus Titanium3. Kaspersky Anit-virus 7.0 If anyone is particularly satisfied (or not satisfied) with these programs and has had no significant false-positives particularly relative to FlightSim, or maybe better put, HAS had false-positives, your comments would be appreciated. That goes for any other anti-virus program with which you have had experience.Panda has a free trial with their product which I may try.Kaspersky Anti-virus 7.0 is a bit expensive (special at $41.50)The Shield Deluxe 2008 seems to be a complete package with good guarantees and is highly rated on some sites.CA and NOD32 seem to be popular among FlightSim users.Now, as you recommended to go back and check each program to be sure they don't fall into a catagory of being: "ANY anit-virus program with scans of my computer to automatically delete or remove files." If anyone already knows the answer to that question on any of them, your comment would be appreciated.Again, thanks a bunch:RTH

Hi,I have used AVG Free Edition on several systems over many years and never had a serious problem with it. Yes, there are virus database updates almost every day, but I find this reassuring rather than disconcerting. To me it demonstrates Grisoft's willingness to try to keep ahead of the game. Also, I do not believe they would issue different virus databases for 'Free' users and that, in some way, the paying customers have better protection. The paying customers have more facilities available to them in the software, but the reality is that the 'Free Edition' offers all that the average home user needs to keep him/her out of trouble. I remain grateful to Grisoft for continuing to make this availble in the free format.My suspicions are that those who are experiencing these problems are the same ones who refuse, for whatever reason, to partition their drives and, by so doing, keep the operating system along with its paging file separate from everything else.I have XP Home on C: which is a 20GB primary partition on a WD Caviar SE16 250GB (WD2500KS) SATAII drive. I also keep a few system related utilities on C: along with Antiviral, Antispyware and Backup software. In addition there are several programs I use that refuse to be installed anywhere else.I have always been in the habit of removing the contents of the Flight One Software folder as soon as an installation has completed. These files are moved to a second physical drive E: used for archiving. Perhaps this is one reason why I haven't encountered any problems.Another reason why AVG Free Edition seems to work well for me is I think because my scanning is usually restricted to the C: drive and I only occasionally scan D: and E:. My reasoning behind this is that I am always careful to install only stuff from known trusted sources and, in any case, most if not all the malware is more likely to end up on C:I have just installed the daily virus database update from Grisoft and scanned my C: drive. No threats were found and this is pretty much the norm for me.The gurus and experts will all say that XP work best if everything is installed on an unpartitioned drive. This may be so but I, for one, remain unconvinced. My 'solution' is convenient, makes routine housekeeping tasks, including the taking of backups, so much easier and more efficient. All my installed software works well - even FSX, yes even FSX (with the usual caveats) and Desktop and Windows Explorer activities remain consistently fast, so what possible incentive is there for me to change my setup?MikeASRock 939Dual-SATA2, AMD Athlon 64X2 4800+ (2400MHz)(Toledo), 2GB Crucial PC3200 DDR400 Ram 3-3-3-8 (2T)(Dual Channel), (PCI-E)Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB (Catalyst 7.10 WHQL), Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22" LCD Display Monitor (1680x1050x32), SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum (Drivers version 5.12.0001.1196 WHQL), WD Caviar SE16 250GB (WD2500KS) SATAII + Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 ATA133 UDMA-6 (320 GB), ASUS DRW-1608P2S Optical Drive, Antec P150 case with NeoHE 430W PSU, CH Products USB Yoke, Pedals and Fighterstick, Creative Gaming Headset HS-900, TrackIR Pro ver. 4.1 (build 29) with TrackClip Pro, Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse, Windows XP Home Edition (SP2), DirectX 9.0c

Yes, there are virus database updates almost every day, but I find this reassuring rather than disconcerting. To me it demonstrates Grisoft's willingness to try to keep ahead of the game.Grisoft is not ahead of the game. They are about even with everybody else.Symantec issues four AV definition updates every day if you setup your system to update from the beta definitions site. Regular users get one update daily, or every couple days based on changes in the updates. My company suscribes to the four times daily system, which are then redistributed from internal servers to our thousands of computers. We do have issues on occasion, but the company has decided that is a cost worth the possibly increased protection.AVG used to do that for everyone - send out four daily updates.NOD32, McAfee, CA - infact all AV companies provide daily updates.The issue is the AVG definition files have known bad code with known, well documented false positives and Grisoft refuses to deal with the issue as a responsible company.I should not have to put files into a separate partition, and I should not have to setup unscanned areas on my computer.If I have to do so to avoid the issue, then it is a second rate, second-tier product.

The real definition of quality in an anti-virus program is not how well it detects viruses. All the programs are about even in that regard. They all use the same methodology, they all use basically the same definitions. They certainly download and look at each other's definition files.No anti-virus program actually identifies viruses - they identify suspicious sections of code.When these companies find a virus - the take it apart and look for the code hidden in a file which is unique to that virus. The problem is that virus makers have gotten pretty good at hiding code so that it looks like legitimate programming. It is a constant battle between the virus coders and the AV coders.The current differences are in the area of spyware, malware and addware - and deciding how agressive to be in those catagories.Major differences are in the area of interface, overhead and control of the program.In my opinion, the gold standard is still Symantec - based upon it's control features and ability to customize the install and actions of the program.But it's overhead is way too much for FS users.Customization and control of how the AV program works is where AVG falls short in my opinion. Yes, I've tried it, and was not happy.The side issue is education of the user. If you know how the program works, understand how the virus threats work, how they are detected and not detected, you are better able to deal with the good and bad points of all anti-virus programs with minimal interruption.You also need to learn about and know the issues with spyware, malware and adware. Of course, we have three people on the team I work with whose almost full-time job is anti-virus.If you do not spend the time to learn the basics, then you are at the mercy of the AV program and at risk of damaging your system.There have been dozens, maybe hundreds of post on the forums over recent years - "XXXXXX said file yyyyyy is a virus. I deleted it and not my Flight Sim will not work."It's always hardest to educate people to protect against themselves.

I've been using Kaspersky for years now (since 2003 in effect, both corporate and private use).Excellent product, reliable company, decent price. And a nice volume deal as well if you have multiple machines needing protection, something many companies don't offer unless you're a large corporate account.Steer far clear of Norton (or anything Symantec).

Kaspersky is excellent in all respects.I used Panda for 2 years, then got burned when renewing my subscription. CC was charged but the license extension never delivered.There have also been some reports of it misbehaving with F1 wrappers, but those are old and seem to be resolved as I've not heard of anything like that recently.

I switched over to the free version of Avast after AVG started giving me false positives when I was playing Bioshock, actually disabled the .exe and had to reinstall the game.Have stuck with Avast since - it also has the option to not automatically scan selected directories/files etc. so I can set it to ignore the FSX folder so it's not scanning every single scenery file that's loaded like some other scanners.Used to use Kaspersky but didn't like the fact that it tagged every single file that it read with it's own data - you'll know if you try to copy a file to another device, it will warn you that it will lose this extra data.

Hi Reggie,"Grisoft is not ahead of the game. They are about even with everybody else."That wasn't quite what I meant and, I suspect, you knew that ;)What I was trying to say was that the daily updates suggested to me that Grisoft were on the ball in trying to keep apace with emerging new viral threats. I was not implying that they were any better or worse than other companies in this respect.I guess our respective antiviral criteria will always be different. As an average and fairly savvy domestic user I have found AVG satisfies my needs and, yes, I do try to be careful at all times to avoid getting infected in the first place.AVG appears to be a quite benign resident on my system and rarely inteferes or impedes the performance of other running programs. I often forget to disable it while installing new programs or sim related addons and rarely have there been any issues. I use the word 'rarely' because in reality I can't recall an occasion when it caused me problems. The performance of FS9 and FSX remain the same whether AVG is active or not.These factors count for a lot in my book, although I do accept that partitoning was my choice and not one forced on me. There are many out there who neither wish nor need the hassle of figuring out how to partition their drives and just want to install programs that work and work reliably. If your assertions have any substance then, yes, for them perhaps AVG is not the best solution. For me, partitoning has allowed me to enjoy the convenience and flexibility with which I am able to keep XP running sweet. For example, defragging the data currently on C: (12GB) only takes a few minutes using PerfectDisk, whereas this would take considerably longer if both partitions were merged into a current huge data block of around 120GB on my 250GB main drive. All scanning of C: is quick whether it be AVG, Spy Sweeper or Ad-Aware and has been achieved with a configuration which, over the years, has become important to me.But, as I said at the outset, our needs are clearly different and that's fine.Regards,Mike

Guest EdrickV

One thing that might be useful to know is that most anti-virus products (free or not) ought to have a way to set the program up so that you choose what to do when it thinks it found a virus/trojan, rather then automatically try to "heal" the file. (And yes, AVG's given me false positives. They're usually fixed within a day or two. Never encountered the Flight1 issue 'cause I don't have any of their products.)To set this up with AVG do this:Launch the AVG Test CenterGo to: Tests|Complete Test SettingsUncheck "Automatically heal infected files" and optionally "Scan files without interruption" and AVG should ask you what to do if/when it finds something it thinks is a threat. Other AVG programs should have a similar setting."Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."