Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

Accept or pushing FSX beyond?

Guest UlfB

Hi,Seems that the community is split into two groups, if I might generalize a bit.One group that accepts the limitations of the hardware and set the scenery sliders to a level where the FSX experience is fullfilled. A nice and smooth flight. You enjoy the flying and don't focus on any odd scenery details. As in real life.Another group spends more time focusing on problems with blurries and details in the scenery while trying to max out scenery sliders. Spending a lot of time trying to tweak some more fps out of the hardware. Reinstalling and reinstalling OS and FSX and with and without SP1 and SP2.I got to confess that I've spent some time tweaking and focusing on how autogen and textures are loaded. But I've stopped doing this, because it prevents me from enjoying the beauty of FSX and the add ons that I've invested in. At this time I've applied a single tweak to my fsx.cfg file (reduced autogen trees) - that's it. And when I fly, mostly VFR flights, I appreciate the FSX/GEX/FEX/FTX/UTX sceneries and don't bother if some textures or autogen load a bit late. With TrackIR the flight experience is quite nice and way better than in FS9.If you are a passionate tweaker and have a negative opinion on how FSX works, this is my advice: Pull your scenery sliders a step to the left and start flying VFR flights with the default Cessna 172 in VC. You have a lot to discover in the FSX world as is and with add ons like GEX/UTX/FTX you have a lot more.If your hardware need upgrade, stop tweaking and use the spare time to earn some more money to buy yourself a new pc. If this isn't possible - don't blame Microsoft and FSX. Stop using FSX and stay with FS9 and please don't post negative on FSX. FSX isn't the cause, it's only the symptom: Your'e short of money or your priority of investments doesn't favour FSX. I truly wish that I was that rich that I could buy everyone a brand new, high end pc to use with FSX.If your'e addicted to tweaking and spend more time hating FSX than enjoying the positive aspects of FSX, I really hope that you'll consider start flying and discover the upside of FSX.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

I am in the group that, I think, got the right hardware and is satisfied with FSX without all the sliders extremely high and without any addons. It produces, for me, a very realistic and enjoyable representation of general aviation flying; that is until that awful "booiinngg" sound and everything freezes on final approach at the end of a long IFR flight. I've had to start over so many times due to computer crashes that it is standard procedure to save the flight every so often and expect to have to return to one (or more) of the restore points before completing the flight. At least these crashes don't involve an FAA investigation and I live to try again.It used to be that the warning signs of an impending computer crash during a flight were 3D display anomolies. Now, it's keyboard keys that no longer work* or the on-screen heading bug control that no longer works.I still have FS9 with it's add-ons on the computer but doubt that I'll go back to it. With it's imperfections, FSX is still quite an experience.* I wonder if reassigning keys rather than using default assignments increases the computing load?

Art

there have always been framerate junkies, there always will be.Ignore them, they're trolls in these here forums who'll eventually go away if noone starts to debate them.

Yeah, those people that want above 15 fps are real jerks!

that is most decidedly not who or what we are talking about.it is the incessant negativity about "the app being crap" or "SPx being crap, remove it", or "Aces doesn't care" or...I think with Gary's( Reset MCP Alt's ) excellent benchmark there is proof of the value of the service packs. And with the tweak guides there is enough information for FSX users to tweak the app and get good results. If, using that information, you do not get what the rest of us get - it is your local problem so please do not come out with global statements like the above.Or, if we cannot do that, can we designate a day a week to get the ya-ya's out? Maybe call it "Trash-Talk-Tuesday", and the rest of us can be gone on Tuesdays. :-).

Guest RichardL

No, what some, no, make that what I am writing about is a new system with Q6600 CPU, dual hard drives, 4 gig ram, Vista64 OS, plus ......, and I can't run SP2 due to constant crashes. Uninstall SP2 and all is fine. My apologies if that makes me a troll.Richard

Guest PPSFA

Phil, I can't speak for anyone else, but if I didn't have the 'trash' to read with my coffee every morning, I'd be stuck with the NY Times, and that just aint gonna happen :-)I look at the forums now as entertainment, since my FSX SP2 with all addons doesn't need any tweaks.Thanks to you and your team for all the hard work, I'm sorta in the business and can appreciate what you folks have to deal with.

Guest RichardL

How would I know that Jim? I can only download and install what is provided for me to use.Has someone that is authorized to comment, from MS or Nvidia, stated in writing that the Nvidia drivers are causing FSX crashing problems?I'm open for suggestions though I do have the latest certified video driver from Nvidia installed.Richard

Yes, indeed there have been multiple threads on nV crashes. Yes, it looks like to Aces this is an nV issue and has been reported to nV, as stated on my blog. Yes, I reported that nV needs crisp bug reports sent to them with OS, FSX revision, part, driver rev, and exact repro steps.what nV part do you have?and what is the exact problem you have, to see if it matches the threads?

>Yeah, those people that want above 15 fps are real jerks! Alex,there have always been self-appointed I-speak-the-truth-you-re-all-moron blokes, there always will be.Ignore them, they're trolls in these here forums who'll eventually go away if noone starts to debate them.:)Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

What I wouldn't give for the time to just fly or complain about things on here.When I do fly, it's mostly VFR offline, just buzzing around the Shenandoahs or the Pacific coast just listening to the wind and relaxing. Flight Sim is probably the least stressful hobby I have.But to answer the question, I've found a spot where I get about 20-25fps in nearly every situation, with acceptable graphics, so I'm good with what I have.Of course, I also have my "development" settings, which is essentially everything turned all the way down just to load and run as fast as possible while I'm running VS and whatever else in the background.

Guest RichardL

GeForce 8800GT with Nvidia WHQL 169.25 driver, dated 20 Dec 2007.Might help to visit the Crash-To-Desktop forum just above this one. Full of CTD issues. I copied the information below from a post I may in the CTD forum:Add me to the CTD list. Happens with a new system build and fresh installs of FSX/SP1/SP2/Vista 64. No tweaks other than disabling red brake, stall, pause, etc messages. System is:ASUS P5EQ66004GB Crucial PC8500 1066 2x hard drives, one for OS and one for FSXBFG 8800 GT with latest nvidia driversI see similar CTDs are reported above. Black screen, reloading of texture files, etc. Sometimes this happen within a minute or two of launching FSX or after an hour of flying.So far I have seen CTDs from:ntdll.dllsimconnect.dllapi.dllmsvcr80.dllterrain.dll

I must say that I have never had a CTD or BSOD with sp2. Tools menu went away, but came back with sdk sp2. Don't run any addons ,so I can't speak to that. Can't OC so I get to run everything stock...My box is only middle-of-the-road now. And Vista t'boot.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.