Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest pwheeler

Ground Environment 1.06 update available

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks Jim :--)(Beware! if you use FTX, turn it OFF before installing this upgrade in order to avoid compatibility problems)

Can you bring me up to speed on that Dave... What issue?GEXn installs textures only and no scenery elements other than matching autogen for the textures it upgrades.FTX is a single sector (area) Aussie full scenery replacement. GEXn is North American Continent texture replacement and should have absolutely no influence on FTX at all

>Thanks Jim :--)>>(Beware! if you use FTX, turn it OFF before installing this>upgrade in order to avoid compatibility problems) You should always Turn FTX Mode Off when not flying in it's region. FTX Mode will replace some generic scenery files with it's own, not the least is the autogendescriptions.spb, and the default.xml files, with a much larger one then default, so it could potentially affect your performance.

>>>>>Can you me up to speed on that Dave... What issue?>>GEXn installs textures only and no scenery elements other than>matching autogen for the textures it upgrades.>>>FTX is a single sector Aussie scenery replacement. GEXn is>North America Continent texture replacement and should have>absolutely no influence on FTX at all>>>>> I think GEX also affects Autogen and FTX replaces Autogen files when FTX Mode is On.

Autogen for North American textures is replaced by FTX?The autogen files are called based on the texture call.. unless FTX is really mucking up the default Aces system somehow when enabled it should not effect North America.Like UTX Europe does not effect UTX USA.. etcAre you saying that USACANADA is out of whack with FTX enabled for 1 section of Australia ?EDIT.. OK, it replaces the MAIN AG def files.. now I get itI assume you can do that in-flight without interrupting the flight? or that would be a real show stopper flying out of a FTX sector to another area that has no FTX coverage. I was under the impression from their promo's they designed a seamless method so FTX worked with everyone, but if you cant do that at the very least, "in-flight" that means they didn't.If you can, it's no big deal.

>Autogen for North American textures is replaced by FTX?>>The autogen files are called based on the texture call..>unless FTX is really mucking up the default Aces system>somehow when enabled it should not effect North America.>>Like UTX Europe does not effect UTX USA.. etc>>Are you saying that USACANADA is out of whack with FTX>enabled for 1 section of Australia ?What I'm saying is FTX mode swaps out a bunch of generic textures and files with it's own, and puts back the original when it's off. A list of them can be found in the customfiles.cfg file in the OrbXscripts folder. Which include default.xml, and autogendescriptions.spb and .xml files, which are definitely generic to all areas.

>Autogen for North American textures is replaced by FTX?>>The autogen files are called based on the texture call..>unless FTX is really mucking up the default Aces system>somehow when enabled it should not effect North America.>>Like UTX Europe does not effect UTX USA.. etc>>Are you saying that USACANADA is out of whack with FTX>enabled for 1 section of Australia ?>>>>EDIT.. OK, it replaces the MAIN AG def files.. now I get it>>I assume you can do that in-flight without interrupting the>flight? or that would be a real show stopper flying out of a>FTX sector to another area that has no FTX coverage. I was>under the impression from their promo's they designed a>seamless method so FTX worked with everyone, but if you cant>do that at the very least, "in-flight" that means they>didn't.>>>If you can, it's no big deal.>I think it remains to be seen if there is or isn't a problem, so far visually I don't detect any if I leave it on, but I normally leave it off since I fly mostly in the US, but occasionally now I take a ride in the outback! This is the problem with 3rd party software modifying or replacing generic elements, when you have more than one developer doing it, there is a very real potential of them stepping over each others toes, or even the other default areas! I hope in FSXI Aces, changes this so all elements, that relate to scenery or aircraft, can at least be overrided within it's own scenery folder, autogen included. Question is how do you do this with other types of products like weather, clouds, that are generic in nature?

you didn't have 1.5??Oh man... your missing out. We really cleaned up a lot of tiling issues with 1.5 and added a huge UTX update.1.6 is both 1.5+1.6 so get that insteadnew mountain winter textures

he he heHey, I know what its like to be a simmer and want something fixed or upgraded if possibleI try to stay on top of it as much as I can

Hi guys,while it's always a good idea to set FTX mode to OFF while installing or upgrading add-ons there's no requirement for it in this particular case. FTX doesn't affect any of the textures and autogen files that GEX uses and vice versa.Cheers, Holger

Hi Nick,"I assume you can do that in-flight without interrupting the flight? or that would be a real show stopper flying out of a FTX sector to another area that has no FTX coverage. I was under the impression from their promo's they designed a seamless method so FTX worked with everyone, but if you cant do that at the very least, "in-flight" that means they didn't."Actually, you can set up FTX so that FTX mode can stay enabled with UT-X installed; how to do that is explained in the UT-X and FTX forums. Obviously, once FTX provides coverage for areas that UT-X also covers an ON/OFF switch as with Australia isn't really feasible anymore anyway. So, yes, you can fly from Australia to the US or Hongkong or London without having to stop and hit a switch.Speaking of seamless, I assume your "show stopper" comment was specific to FTX? After all, once GEX textures are available for other regions there will have to be a mechanism to prevent Europe or Asia textures from showing in North America, Africa, etc. Most likely, this would be a GUI switcher as well, which would have to be used prior to a flight. That assumes that GEX actually includes complete texture sets for each region, which will be tricky to achieve given the default state of our "beloved" lclookup.bgl -- hello, ON/OFF switcher! ;-)Cheers, Holger

Hi Tom,"FTX Mode will replace some generic scenery files with it's own, not the least is the autogendescriptions.spb, and the default.xml files, with a much larger one then default, so it could potentially affect your performance."The reason those files are larger is that they include custom autogen definitions for the FTX autogen. The process for doing this is documented in the FSX Autogen SDK. These definitions are used in the FTX area only so FSX ignores them elsewhere. In other words your concerns about potential performance impacts are unfounded.According to the SDKs adding custom data to the global files, like terrain.cfg, autogendescriptions.spb, and default.xml is the proper method. What the SDK conveniently ignores is what's supposed to happen if several add-ons use this approach. One option is to write an installer that adds the information in a "neutral" fashion, meaning without changing any existing modifications. That works well until a user makes his/her own changes or re-installs FSX or any of the service packs and everything gets reset to default (witness all the "where's my water?" posts here and elsewhere. FTX uses the alternate approach, which is to switch back and forth the files that require changing. Either approach has its drawbacks; a clever programmer who comes up with fail-proof code for dealing with global files stands to make a lot of money. In the meantime we're lobbying ACES to please allow, in FS11 and beyond, for stand-alone local additions to these global files. Cheers, Holger

Hi HolgerWhen i fly in Europe using UTX Europe, i have to turn FTX mode to off before flying, otherwise the UTX scenery in Europe gets all messed up. Are you saying there is a way i can use UTX Europe without having to disable FTX? Or is there a way to turn FTX mode to OFF in-flight if i want to fly from Australia to Europe?Can you explain?Thanks.

HolgerWhen someone of authority makes a statement that insinuates their product will provide seamless results with others (or default) and will not affect the area outside of its intended use in real time flight, I take that persons word for it. Of course it was not mentioned to acomplish that may require turning off the feature for autogen changes, and, it was also not mentioned if a user may not own a large area covered by FTX, if they fly out of that area they may not be able recover the normal scenery without stopping the flight.It is understandable something may change in development however that was not posted six months ago.At the same time I also understand there are limitations and there will be things that must be done to accomplish goals. I am in no way against that, on the contrary, if it provides the user with a better experience I am all for it.Your on/off comparison is a bit off base.. We will not be replacing textures with ones that will make, in example, a mountain forest turn into a desert. If the original texture is in fact a mountain forest, we will replace it with a high def mountain forest and therefore the only thing the user may find is if they fly from the Alps in Europe to the Andes in South America without stopping, there may be very high res mountain forests mixed in with the lower res valley defaults however that is only temporary until we complete SA as part of the 3rd and final installment, Oceania.We have already received feedback about that from Europe flyers and thus far, they like the very small overlap from the USA because it looks much better than default. In that, they are getting a small upgrade until we complete Europe, not anything that would cause a defined look to many elements to change and create a feeling of something completely out of place.What GEX will not do is completely change autogen and/or other elements outside of its coverage area. Although spot hi res textures may bleed into another location, the autogen and all other elements will remain exactly the same.GEX requires no switch. It will provide coverage of a large enough area whereby I doubt there will be any serious issues surrounding spot texture upgrades showing in another section of the world and at the same time it will not change the definition of another area, its autogen, trees, or any of the other elements as we complete the world with a target of the end of this year, possibly sooner. My only question was, can the changes FTX makes to autogen and other areas that are very obvious, be switched off/on

Hi Nick,as for my comparison being "off base" I'm just going by what the FSX land class tables tell us. For example, how can GEX provide custom textures for South America without providing a front-end switcher as per your statement in this thread: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...topic_id=435281South America (Regions D and Q) does not have a single specific texture set in FSX out-of-the box and the hard-coded nature of the lclookup.bgl means that you can't just make your own and name them according to the region. It's pretty much the same for most other regions across the planet; all of Africa offers seven specific default classes and all of Asia eight. Unless you plan on using the GEX North America Region B textures for the remaining classes throughout those areas you have no choice but to employ a mechanism similar to FTX. Which, I'd like to emphasize, is not a bad thing ;-) And it's not a new discussion either because similar questions were asked with the release of BEV, GE, and FScene for FS9.Anyhow, the answer to your question is available on the FTX website and in the Region BLUE document: the FTX mode switcher cannot be used during a flight. If you want to do a cross-continental flight and have UT-X installed you should let the UT-X configurator add its custom entries to the terrain.cfg file (meaning you leave FTX Mode ON and run each UT-X configurator once). Any other changes with FTX Mode ON are very minor and probably require a screenshot comparison to be noticeable; and they are listed in the FTX FAQ as well. Cheers, Holger

>We have already received feedback about that from Europe>flyers and thus far, they like the very small overlap from the>USA because it looks much better than default. In that, they>are getting a small upgrade until we complete Europe, not>anything that would cause a defined look to many elements to>change and create a feeling of something completely out of>place.>Yes, that's true. I'm waiting for good European textures. I believe GEX will be first followed by Lennart Arvidsson ScanTexture. FTX is sure good looking. Superb! I've never flew over Australia before, but it's becoming a habit nowadays :-) But I don't think we will see any FTX textures for Europe before the release of FSXI, to be honest. Three more zones to be release for Australia. Then a couple of zones for North America.Nick, any progress report on GEX Europe?Ulf B

A switch will not be required for GEXWe replace the default textures with exact defined matches Aces specified for type and will tweak them like we did in the USA to blend correctly between the coverage areas so they work with no switch involved. Just as I removed the need for the SW mod and brought the desert to life without changing other areas. That is our goal and what we are striving for in design for the most simplistic installation and use. The method worked for the SW, it will work with the rest.And if there ever is a need for a GEXn texture reload as you mentioned, which I do not see that happening at this point in development, there is a method to do that and not require the user lose their flight, in game, with a very short pause and without exiting the flight or the sim.And thank you for answering my question about "in-flight" change and that it's not possible to run the tool to restore the autogen files without exiting the sim. Not everyone uses UTX so that purchase and custom setup for FTX use is an option too I guess.

I stopped to post in this thread... I can continue to post or go back to workLOLIts in progress.. we are throwing some new ideas about higher res graphic source data for highlighting elements of the textures back and forth as we work on autogen placement. I cant discuss any more right now.

HolgerI didn't have the chance to try that yet, but i will. Thought you were talking about another method, though.And thanks for answering the question about changing FTX mode in-flight.Cheers.

>Hi guys,>>while it's always a good idea to set FTX mode to OFF while>installing or upgrading add-ons there's no requirement for it>in this particular case. FTX doesn't affect any of the>textures and autogen files that GEX uses and vice versa.>>Cheers, HolgerThank you Holger for this clarification.Best regards,David