Sign in to follow this  
jdk2

Boot.ini and vista

Guest dwaohio

How do you modify the boot.ini in vista. I have 3 Gbs. I do get an out of memory error after 5-10 mins in FSX. Could someone post their boot.ini for Vista with 3Gbs of memory that has been modified to stop the out of memory error. I have read the other post and I am still confused because people have shown only XP mod.ThanksDave

That is because Vista already recognizes more than XP's limit of 2GB. (as I understand).

Guest Smiley

Vista doesn't have a boot.ini, or at least in use. I have 4gb ram in a newer system with Vista and Vista only sees 3.5gb + the 512mb on my video card.

>How do you modify the boot.ini in vista. I have 3 Gbs. I do>get an out of memory error after 5-10 mins in FSX. Could>someone post their boot.ini for Vista with 3Gbs of memory that>has been modified to stop the out of memory error. I have>read the other post and I am still confused because people>have shown only XP mod.>>>Thanks>DaveDave,If you are running Vista32 (my guess is you are) read on.Go to accessories, right click on the command prompt and run as administrator.at the prompt type the following:bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2560And make sure you are running SP2. If not you need to make your FSX.exe greater tha 2GB aware.

Gee, wasn't this topic discussed not too long ago in the very long thread, about "Out of Memory Errors?" Yep, there it is:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search:-roll

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest dwaohio

Sorry Bill I was still a little confused but the answers that were given helped a little. I have one question for you, how do I add this (bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2560) to the boot.ini or where ever that this line is started everytime I boot up vista. What would the line look like in it's full content. I know that in XP it would look like this "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XPProfessional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB/Userva=2560. What would this line look like in Vista. Sorry for my confusion. Or do I have to like someone stated here do the following everytime I use FSX....If you are running Vista32 (my guess is you are) read on.Go to accessories, right click on the command prompt and run as administrator.at the prompt type the following:bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2560And make sure you are running SP2. If not you need to make your FSX.exe greater tha 2GB aware.Thanks Dave

Dave,You don't need to do it every time you run FSX. Do it once and your done.Regards,Bob

Dave,There is no boot.ini file created in Vista. sargeski posted the exact steps to expand the process address space and I guess I'll give it another go:From the Start menu > All Programs > Accessories then right-click on Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator"When the Command Prompt opens, type the following at the blinking cursor:bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2560Phil Taylor explains the whole enchilada in excrutiating detail here: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ress-space.aspxBill Leaming also explained it here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchRegards,Jim Karn