Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BeachAV8R

Landing in the VC window

It is always nice to land in the VC mode but I cannot see properly ahead of me as the panel blocks the terrain ahead. I can only see the runway when I bring the nose down and this is not a realistic practice.I usually land with 'no panel' having the important instrument data printed on the top of the screen by using the shift z key. How else could I have the VC mode during landing which would have a more realistic feel? RegardsShri

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Try using Shift+Enter to move your eyepoint up a bit. Use Shift+Backspace to move down again if needed.Unfortunately, the height is reset to the default position if you use Ctrl+Spacebar to reset your view (which I often do).Hope this helps :)

>This is where tracker ir is very helpful-as in real life you>can change your eye position without touching and instead>looking.>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/With TrackIR4 Pro, do you have to wear anything on your head (headset, etc.)? I couldn't figure that out on their web site. It looked like the guy didn't have anything.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

You wear a little thingy that clasps to a ball cap no problem. This comes with the TrackIR. They also sell something called a Track Clip (sp?) that will clip onto headphones if you wear headphones.TrackIR really does rock. Can't see over the panel...straighten up and lean forward...it really is cool.I flew from Steamboat Springs to Salt Lake City last night and never used the 2D panel. You even find yourself looking out the window in VC mode more than panning in spot view.

Another vote for TrackIR. It makes the approach and landing so much easier and intuitive.

>Another vote for TrackIR. It makes the approach and landing>so much easier and intuitive.Ditto here as well.Once you 'fly' with TrackIR you'll not be able to do without it. It adds another dimension to the FS experience and adds a great deal to the 'suspension of disbelief'.TrackIR, in combination with camera definitions with hot-keysmapped to my #2 POV hat makes moving about the cockpit toenjoy outside views of view/operate VC panel controls a snap.Speaking of camera definitions, that would be one possible solutionto your viability problem.Simply define a camera view that places your eye-point where you want it for landing, along with the desired ZOOM factor,then assign a hot-key to activate that camera definitionwhen landing. Paul

I edit the eyepoint for each aircraft I have. Open the aircraft.cfg file for the aircraft you want to fly and look under the 'Views' section for the eyepoint setting. It will look like this:eyepoint = 53.0, -1.8, 4.3 To raise your eyepoint to see over the panel increase the third number, in this case 4.3 to a higher number like 4.9.The first number will change your fore/aft eyepoint, the second number will change your right left eyepoint.I also use TrackIR and by editing my favorite aircraft eyepoint setting, I don't have to stretch to see over the panel, or squat down and then reset TrackIR to see over.

>You wear a little thingy that clasps to a ball cap no>problem. This comes with the TrackIR. They also sell>something called a Track Clip (sp?) that will clip onto>headphones if you wear headphones.>That's really disappointing that I would have to wear headgear. I don't want to wear a hat just to use my sim. Also I don't what to wear headphones! :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

It has to reflect the IR light somehow. You forget you even have the hat on.

What hit on performace does TRACKIR have to the sim? Ive looked at it and have read reviews about it and they all say it takes some getting use to before you can say that you like it. Is there any truth to those statements in your opinion?

On my old pIv 3.2 ghz I noticed a 1-3 fps penalty when fsx was stressed-e.g. below 20 fps. Above that and on my new rig I don't notice much of anything.It took me about 10 minutes to get used to it. Funny thing is after using it only a little while-when not using it I was still moving my head expecting the views to move e.g. getting used to it is very quick. I don't use it all the time just cause I don't always want to have my headset on.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I have a Q6600 cpu and I don't see any difference in FPS with TrackIR.As far as getting used to it, it took me about a few days to tweak the profile to where I was happy with it. I get pretty good FPS with my system so I am happy with TrackIR. I was bush flying yesterday with that new Piper SuperCub download and with FPS spiking into triple digits the TrackIR was sliky smooth and the realism it adds when it's like that is incredible. But with my PMDG747 at KLAX with 80% AI, I'm down to 12-14 FPS in VC and the effect isn't as good. It's a little disorienting when your head movement is fast and the FPS are low. If I was fighting bad FPS all the time, I don't know how enjoyable TrackIR would be. But then, even when I'm down to 12-14 FPS, I still prefer to have my TrackIR working than not.

I usually fly with a headset. It's really cool. If you get a USB headset, or have two audio cards, then you can have ATC in your headset and the cockpit and engine noises coming out of your speakers, just to make it even MORE realistic. I used to be a World of Warcraft addict, so I had one sitting around, when I realised I could do this.

>>You wear a little thingy that clasps to a ball cap no>>problem. This comes with the TrackIR. They also sell>>something called a Track Clip (sp?) that will clip onto>>headphones if you wear headphones.>>>>>That's really disappointing that I would have to wear>headgear. I don't want to wear a hat just to use my sim. >Also I don't what to wear headphones! :)>>>RhettYou could stick three pieces of reflective tape to yourforehead, or maybe some of that eyeshadow with the littlesparkles in it :)The clip-on thingie for headsets could probably be used with a pair of glasses...a real 'kewl' pair of Aviator sunglasses perhaps :)Seriously, What I do is wear a visor. That way I'm not trapping alot of heat on the top of my head. Paul

Shri, I have been flying FS simulators since 1983. I never had any problems with landing using any of the other FS versions, including FS2004. But I installed FSX since November and then went through a whole period of frustration using the default planes. But I got over that and will try to tell you how, as briefly as I can. I am able can land any of the default planes (using the autopilot or on manual) after a week of finding out how best to manage the views. So it works and I do not have TrackerIR. Don't give up.I use the 2D panels to take off. Some of the default panels on FSX, for some of the planes, cover up the screen so you will have to click the appropriate icons to reduce them. They are with the icons for the GPS and radios. After taking off you can then click to get the IFR panel, for some planes, which are large but you do not see outside. This is not a problem as you are climbing and using the guages.If you are on say downwind and want to see the airport, you can do that no problem. I use the 2D panel all the way for long distances or around the circuit. If you use the VC panel and you look around with the view hat on your joystick then you will have to center it using the spacebar. For landing, I configure the plane properly (jets, turbo prop, or piston) and when I am making my last turn from base to approach, I go into VC mode. At this point you only have to worry about getting the right descent rate and aligning with the runway. Since you are in VC mode now, you will use the plus and minus sign on the keyboard to make sure you see the gauges well especially for the speed and (rpm, N1, or torque). You will then see the runway all the way as you add flaps and reduce power on your approach. This works very well for me. The clue is not to keep on changing from VC to 2D too often; it is confusing. You will have no problem landing if your plane is well configured for the approach. Another thing is that for some default planes you do not have any problems with either VC or 2D panels on approach. But you can land all of them using the VC. I land the B737-800, for example only using the VC mode. It is easier.Hope this all helps. What planes do you fly? If I know I can be more specific. Happy flying.

Odosim Thanks for your painstaking reply. I usually at the final, change to 2D panel and use the w key to rid of the panel, which I don't need as I have the important aircraft information on the top of my screen by shift Z key all the time, and now I have good view outside for me to land. So this is not a problem to get me landing but I would like to have the feel I am inside the cockpit especially during taking off and landing. However I think other option is to elevate your seat which I have to try, and how do you do that? RegardsShri

Shri,Here are the key combinations to use to adjust your seat. I am always moving my seat. On taxi, I move up to see over the nose of the aircraft. When crusing, I move the seat down to see outside the windows and not have the wing obstructing my view. On approach, I move the seat back up, since I'm mostly looking out over the nose again.I suspect that in real life, pilots do this all the time.Shift-Enter (moves seat up)Shift-Backspace (moves seat down)Control-Enter (moves seat backwards in the cockpit)Control-Backspace (moves the seat forward in the cockpit)I tend to want my seat a bit more forward than the designers. This allows me to balance the view out the window with respect to the view of my instruments. Moving the seat foward allows you to zoom out without making your instruments too small to read.Cheers,

Shri,You should try Shift-Enter and Shift-Backspace to move the seat up and down. To go to the default seat position Ctrl-Space. I do not use it. It does not work well for me. I see you want to be in the cockpit when you land. I am. Somehow it seems that you take off the panel when you land. You do not have to. If you let me know what default plane you fly in FSX, maybe I can see what to do so that you have the panel VC mode or the 2D mode on when you land. Regards.Odosim.