Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconAF

I feel like giving up now:(

Hi all, I would like to know really what I should be expecting out of FSX with my system? I mean im not complaining about FPS, they are goo to ok, even with leveld767...my problem is stuttering! And slow texture loading, which makes it pop, in turn makes it stutter! Is there any way whatsoever to eliminate this? Any tweaks or so? I don't run everything maxed out, infact far from it, water at 2xhigh, and autogen and scenery denisty at normal. My hard drive is partitioned, and fully defragged with ultimate defrag with the name system. I literally feel like tearing my hair out now! ..Oh 1 more thing, im on vista 64 and have all services I don't need running off, infact im only using 700MB ram in task manager!Someone, please help me, I just want to fly not tweak! I really am so close yet so far if you get what i mean!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have a very simular setp. Defrag often, Use the 174.xx Nvidia Beta Driver, Water may be high, update Vista 64 to SP1. I have no more stutters and my autogen and scenery settings are higher (I Think dense or very dense), not sure about my water but somewhere near your settings. I do not reccomend disk partitioning. Two disks works great or a good raid setup. Look for Nick Vista reccomendations.

For a start turn your water down to 2xlow (maximum). It looks the most realistic at this level anyway.No light bloom.This thread will help you in terms of tweaks. http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=1842.0Max FPS should be locked at 20. Works wonders for some, not for others. If this does not work change to Max.And if you are really serious, then use these guy's...http://www.fs-gs.com/

Ok so I now installed vista SP1, and followed these tips, what an improvement! much better. Now my final dilemma is to lock or not to lock! If I set frames to unlimited the frames are much much higher but i get like skipping if i pan around the plane? However if i lock my frames to either 30 or 25, it rarely reaches those figures and introduces stutters?Finally, what is vsync? and does it work within FSX?Oh i forgot to ask, whats with all teh popping in fsx? scenery textures pop in front of my plane and autogen pops allover too?

Popping (unfortunately) is inherent in FSX... wait for FXXI to solve...Regarding vsync, it is worth turning on to prevent tearing in the scenery, but there are reports of vsync not working correctly with some Vista drivers... search in the forums for details.

As for the Frame Rate Slider setting, you might want to read this thread at the "other" forum:http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=180676I've contributed several posts to it already concerning the Frame Rate Slider, plus a few other topics. I'm not going to regurgitate it all over here again, so my apologies if anybody is offended by my link to the "other" forum. I have better things to do than get into a p*ssing contest about forums. If the link helps anybody, it's just my attempt to contribute to the ENTIRE flight sim community (including this one).FalconAFRick

Hello Rick, Nobody heres minds at all mention of Flightsim. Nels and his voluminous web site have made major contributions to our hobby. Many, if not most, of the people here at Avsim also visit Flightsim (and other flight sim sites), some here even started their sim life over at Flightsim before coming here. So, there is no problem. Thanks for pointing out that thread.Just some small clarifications: - Level of Detail Radius: This slider does not affect display of autogen and other objects, it is only used to determine how much terrain data is loaded. (The display of terrain is then further clipped - limited - by the viewing frustum.) Scenery objects and aircraft do have LOD models that display at different times depending on the amount of pixels required, but this is all set by the developer of the model when he creates it in GMax or 3DS Max. - Scenery complexity slider: This does not affect autogen at all, but only custom objects and generic buildings. - Autogen density slider: This is the only slider that controls the amount of autogen displayed.Best regards.Luis

Luis,OK, thanks. I wasn't sure if all the dust had settled from past stuff about the two forums. I knew at one time the only way you could even refer to Flightsim.com was by using "that other forum". Or maybe it was the other way around. I dunno...I'm getting older every day. Maybe my memory is failing..... :-beerchugAnd yes, you are correct about the LOD explanation. That's why I didn't include the Level of Detail slider in my post. I mentioned LOD only to try to get the user to understand that it is possible to cause frame rate slowdowns, etc, with high "autogen" settings when a large number of objects with high LOD settings may be being loaded by FSX. And I admit...I did "fudge" the use of the term "autogen" when it comes to the Scenery Complexity slider. But my experience has been that most "new users" of FSX will still think of ANY building as being "autogen". So I was trying to point out that a "combination" of those two sliders (Scenery Complexity for "custom" objects...Autogen Density for "generic" objects) can be used effectively together. For instance, a user could set Autogen Density to "none", and Scenery Complexity to the maximum, and still get the "Custom buildings and scenery objects" displayed both on and off an airport. Most "inexperienced" users of FSX would think they were still seeing "autogen buildings and scenery objects" in this case.Rick