Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Nick_N

What is best way to install FSX?

I'm going to reformat the computer and reinstall FSX, only, on it. I have two 160 GB hard drives. I had been running them in RAID 0 configuration but is that the best? Is it best to put FSX on one drive and the OS on the other?What is the best configuration for best FSX performance?Mike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would just leave both on the same physical drive. FSX accesses files from Windows in flight. I just get a decent disk defragger like Ultimate Defrag 2008 or something, and sort by name but put all the FSX scenery files on the outer platters of the HDD

Do a search on these forums for posts by Nick_N. He's the "authority" on maximizing your install for FSX.

I have to disagree with Ryan! I would definitely choose to put FSX on a different drive than the OS! For one thing, you will have more room for add-ons, and for another, if you do something bad to your OS, like pick up a virus from that all-naked poker gambling website, then you won't necessarily zorch your FSX installation. I also think that having FSX on a separate physical drive reduces some of the stutters. Nick N. is totally the current authority on how to set up FSX around here, so definitely look him up. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Authority?ATHORITY????*grins with evil look*AS SAID dubbed authority of setting up FSX

I'm only saying what Michael from FSGS once told me.Who knows.....Nick's right, YMMV!

>>AS SAID dubbed authority of setting up FSX

>>>>AS SAID dubbed authority of setting up FSX

Seriously excellent info! :-beerchug ... and also written so funny it'll be a while til' I can get up off the floor from laughing so hard! :-xxrotflmaoWe just HAVE to see more balanced threads like this at AVSIM: let the "prose" outweigh the cons!:-bigangelPS: I wonder if those Commandments were written on a "Tablet PC"?:-lol GaryGB

>PS: I wonder if those Commandments were written on a "Tablet>PC"?Yesbut it crashed...I am in the process of writing a spam forum complaint and hunting down the development team and their blogs so I can slag them tooEDIT: Scratch that.. I just found out it was something I didBut I'm still ticked off so I may go ahead and slag them anyway the first chance I get and every chance thereafter. The thing runs a bit slower than I expected and I should not have to deal with that.