Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmig

Scenery Program that enhances roads, railroads, rivers, etc

I've really enjoyed flying FSX over the past 2 months. I use it as a tool to enhance my "real world" flying and I have to say, wow! FSX is so good that I find it meets a great deal of my yearning to fly.What I'd really like to enhance my experience is:1. A scenery program that would make the actual roads, railroads, powerlines, towers, etc as realistic as possible. I use this for VFR flying from one airport to the next. Right now, I'm not that focused on making the terrain texture that accurate, more focused on the man made stuff. I live in Salt Lake City and FS Dreamscape looks like it will be a great product for this but it is not released yet. Any recommendations?2. A program that would make the runway environment and lighting as realistic as possible. I practice alot of IFR night approaches on FSX and REALLY enjoy breaking out and seeing the runway lights, etc. Is there any product you might recommend to enhance this? I mostly fly into small GA airports in Utah. Airports like Provo Municipal (PVU), Salt Lake Municipal (U42), Heber (36U) etc.These forums are amazing! I've learned a ton reading the archives. Thanks for your help!DougFSX (no service packs installed)VistaFavorite Aircraft -- Dreamfleet Dakota & Alphasim Longez

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

'Ultimate Terrain X' will do exactly what you are looking for as regards item 1.For item two you can get the current Active Sky Graphics program or wait for the added content in FEX or wait for the yet to be released REX.Head over to Flight1 to check out UTX and FEX.I have them both. Highly recommended.

Thanks UTX is exactly what I was looking for enhancing roads, rr, etc.For the second item, I'm really looking for a tool to enhance the GA airport environment (runways, lighting, taxiways, buildings, etc). Any thought on a tool for this?ThanksDougPS - FEX looks great too. Thanks for the recommendation.

As above, check out X Graphics. No building enhancements are provided, by lights, runways, tarmac, 'lines' etc are. In conjunction with Active Sky X, you can also get weather generated sky color, clouds, lighting, etc.I use FEX for cloud and water, but use XGraphics for all others....with Active Sky.

I agree.UTX,GEX and FEX turn FSX into a different sim.There are alot of options, some duplicates but you have alot of different looks to choose from.Almost to many....None except UTX really eat into perfomance and in the case of FEX, you can change the cloud res which has helped my overall perfomance.With UTX, night lights,types of roads,bridges ect can be turned on/off and make a noticable difference.These are MUST HAVES in my book.Now when it comes time to have to do a reinstall...:-hang

"For the second item, I'm really looking for a tool to enhance the GA airport environment (runways, lighting, taxiways, buildings, etc). Any thought on a tool for this?"Try Ezscenery-takes seconds to enhance your airport (first thing I did was place my car next to the hangar and put the usual flock of birds that hover over the runway). They have a "trial" that you can try out first.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>Thanks UTX is exactly what I was looking for enhancing roads,>rr, etc.>>For the second item, I'm really looking for a tool to enhance>the GA airport environment (runways, lighting, taxiways,>buildings, etc). Any thought on a tool for this?Airport Design Editor has all the tools for FSX that are in AFCAD for FS9 and then some. This includes adding library items and moving/adding/deleting buildings. And, it's free.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Thanks everyone! These have been great ideas. I appreciate all the support. Just finished logging 2.1 of hard IFR in the Dreamfleet Dakota....OMG is that alot of fun. I'm a CFII and am blown away at how powerful FSX is as a learning tool. Too bad the FAA won't let us log any of it. All kidding aside, FSX is a wonderful procedural trainer and in virtual cockpit, thunderstorms and light icing, I found my palms sweating....very cool!I'm going to post this question elsewhere in the forum but just curious. I'm still running native FSX without SP1 or SP2. Everything is working great. Any reason I should update with these service packs? I guess if I do, I should do this before buying any add-ons.....Thanks again!

>Thanks everyone! These have been great ideas. I appreciate>all the support. Just finished logging 2.1 of hard IFR in the>Dreamfleet Dakota....OMG is that alot of fun. >>I'm a CFII and am blown away at how powerful FSX is as a>learning tool. Too bad the FAA won't let us log any of it. >All kidding aside, FSX is a wonderful procedural trainer and>in virtual cockpit, thunderstorms and light icing, I found my>palms sweating....very cool!>>I'm going to post this question elsewhere in the forum but>just curious. I'm still running native FSX without SP1 or>SP2. Everything is working great. Any reason I should update>with these service packs? I guess if I do, I should do this>before buying any add-ons.....>>Thanks again!Doug, I started flying MSFS for the same reasons as you. I agree with the sweaty palms and forehead bit. A few hundred dollars for a yoke, rudder petals and maybe a go-flight radio or two will have your wife getting airsick as she watches. That realistic. LOL J/Kidding on the wife part.I would install SP1. It makes FSX run better and fixes some problems. SP2 is up to you. Acceleration add-on by Microsoft adds a couple of fast mover planes and a military helio. It also includes SP2. You can find it for $20. I love the F-18 but, I am a former fighter jock. Just be aware that if you use some airplanes or add-ons designed for FS-2004 SP2 may kill them.