Sign in to follow this  
Art_P

Flight Video Recording

What are people using to record videos of flights? I have tried the recorder under "Options" but found that it apparently only records the plane's location and attitude. Unlike instant replay, landing gear and flap operations are not recorded. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a 3rd party application that can be used?ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

I think Fraps is the utility which is most commonly used to record video in FS. There's a free version which has some limitations, but you can capture about 30 seconds of footage at a time which you could use to build a composite video. Check it out at:http://www.fraps.com/Mike.

Mike Beckwith

For video recording the 2 common programs used are FRAPS and GameCam. I'm partial to gamecam as it's easier on performance. It does have a problem recording though if you fly in FOG in FSX, at least with Nvidia cards, I had an ATI X1950XTX and didn't have that issue in my previous system.For recording flights and playing them back in game, you can't beat FSRecorder. It will record most aspects of your flight including the AI used, and you can record your entire flight. My youtube videos are a mixture of real time and fs recorder segments, recorded to video by gamecam.You can get fraps herewww.fraps.com (Pay ware with a restricted freeware version)Gamecamwww.planetgamecam.com (Pay ware with a restricted freeware version) and FS-Recorderwww.fs-recorder.net (Unrestricted freeware, but donation encouraged.)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Tom,What is the best format to record and convert etc for You tube. The last time I did by picking the defaults the quality on you tube was real bad. They do the compression that kills the quality.How can I do the compression myself so they wouldn't do it?Is there a recipe for this?I have FRAPS and Adobe Premiere.MannyPS: Ah... I saw Kevin's post and link there..It gives a good overall summary. But It would nice to also get the specifics of filre format and compression types etc to give the best quality output for You tube.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Youtube has improved on this over time, they also have what they call a high definition mode. It's still not as good as 1st generation, but not to bad and probably not much worse than if you compressed yourself. I usually fly at 1280x720x32 (Limited by my projector) Gamecam is set to record 640x480 (Mt videos are widescreen, so it's probably more like 640x320. I can go to 1920x1080x32 but my projector compresses the display. which actually still produce a clearer image, but type is much smaller and harder to read even on a 9 foot screen. I then put it through Moviemaker which then upscales it to 856x480 (Set W/S) using the 2.1Mbps Local playback option. Then I upload to youtube.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks for everyone's input. I had FRAPS on my computer but didn't know it had the video making capability. Now I'll study up.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art