Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

My first Fsx Video

Guest Shalomar

My first FSX video has been uploaded to YouTube today, but I am pretty disapointed how pixellated it looks now. Any ideas how to make videos that can survive YouTube compression?BTW, no music... I know better...

Best Regards, Donald T:-wave

None the less, it was well done! Thanks for the ride, Donald! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Nice Job. What did you use to record the video?

Jim Wenham

Guest RichUK

I really enjoyed it. I love the narration. Let's see another!Rich.

Guest Shalomar

Thank you all for the kind words... The video did look a lot better when I was watching it on my computer before uploading it.Jwenham, I used Fraps to record and Windows Movie Maker to edit.I am pretty sure my next video will be at Aerosoft's Lukla in daytime. I have a bet with my bro where I will have to perform a certain number of landings and takeoffs without crashing... of course a 15 knot crosswind and the last climbout to landing has to be with an engine out...Best Regards, Donald T.:-wave

Guest cbuchner1

My tip would be to upload 640x480 resolution at highest bitrate (quality) settings. The better your provided source material, the better youtube can convert it down to its native streaming format.Did you see the "watch in high quality" link below the video? This is for users with higher bandwidths. It is available once you're logged in, I believe.Regarding music, you can take any music licensed under Creative commons non-commercial use license, for example websites like www.macjams.com have plenty of enjoyable music in this format. Using the songs usually requires attribution (e.g in the credits), but is otherwise free.Finally, let me state that night flights probably are a bit less enjoyable on youtube than flights with at least a minute amount of daylight

Guest Shalomar

Yes, I have learned my lesson about night flights. It looked prety cool before I uploaded it; the moon on the water etc but it wasn't in the final YouTube product.I wanted to do something that was a bit challenging, and a night flight to SABA seemed like it.BTW, in a daytime flight in a Twotter to SABA I can usually stop on the runway before or right at the turnoff, but in this night flight/unlit airport where I had less chance to judge the glideslope and was more afraid of getting behind the power curve I used the whole runway. Shoulda used the GPS to tell me my distance from the feild for a more accurate slope, but I didn't even though this bird has an unobtrusive one on the panel.I'll try your advice about resolution, Thanx...:-beerchugBest Regards, Donald T.:-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Guest fsxmissionguy

>Any ideas>how to make videos that can survive YouTube compression?>Donald,Here's an outside the box solution ... don't use YouTube.What difference could it possibly make which video sharing site underlies your presentation? Unless you are selling ads for your video (and I suspect you're not) what you're interested in is high-quality playback.I've researched this, and found that the best playback is had by using either MSN Video, or Blip.tv.I chose blip.tv because I think it's just slightly better quality and I had more control over the player than Microsoft gave me with MSN Video.Here's an example of a video hosted by blip.tv:http://www.flightsimulatorxmissions.com/mo...=showpage&pid=1Notice how large the player is and with no compression artifacts.Cheers,

YouTube not that bad. The quality is fairly good with the "watch in high quality" option now. And YouTube is the way to go because your vid can grow in views very easily.

Guest Staggerwing

Joey,Please redo your SIG to fit within Avsim rules..1.) Only one (1) image is allowed2.) That image shall not be larger than 400 x 60 pixels in size3.) The image file shall not be larger than 10 Kbytes in size4.) The image can be animated, but shall not exceed the 10 Kbytes sizeYou can use text in your signature, but the use of any image shall adhere to the above. Thank you for your co-operation.

Guest Rick Baldwin

Donald,You video was fun to watch! And believe me, the narration adds a real sense of 'being there'. Thanks so much for being smart enough to avoid a music background, which IMHO are way overused!I don't know anything about uploading videos to You Tube but there's a guy named Jimmy Ruskin who has produced several tutorials and appears to know what he's talking about. You might want to check out youtube.jimmyr.com.Best wishes,-Rick

Guest Shalomar

I'm glad you had fun! Jimmy's tutorial is especially helpful, thanx...Best Regards, Donald T.:-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Dunno.. Not a whole lot you can do when the compressionstarts cranking in..Still fun to make though. I have tinkered around making a few of them using frapps as the recorder. Works ok, but really knocks the frame rate down vs non recording.So I record at half res to keep the frame rate half usable.My puter is getting pretty aged, and not the fastest thingon the block these days.. I'm running an old P4 at about 2.8 ghz,with a 9800pro and only 1 gig of ram.. :(So my vids won't be as fluid as some floating around. I keep mine on my own server. So far I've been converting them to media player files.Here are a few to check out if you are brave enough toget in a plane with me.. lol...Private airshow with the Extra 300..http://home.comcast.net/~disk100/Twisted.wmv A quick hop from Austin to Corpus SW 737http://home.comcast.net/~disk100/AUS2CRPSW.wmvDecent and landing into Little Rock from Houston SW 737http://home.comcast.net/~disk100/HOU2LIT.wmvHop from Houston Southwest to Little Rock - Lear 45 at dawnhttp://home.comcast.net/~disk100/Lit45.wmvFlying over Idaho in float plane- water landhttp://home.comcast.net/~disk100/Idaho.wmvHouston Hooks water strip Float plane-- quick trip aroundthe block...http://home.comcast.net/~disk100/Hooks.wmvWell, there is a few anyway.. BTW, the longer flightsdon't cover the whole complete flight.. The files wouldget too big.. I take "snapshots" here and there, and glue em together..

Most fun fs vid I've seen in a while. You sir could teach quite a few about NOT using some earsplitting 'music bed' but rather good, entertaining narration and the sound of engines :-beerchugregards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Guest Rick Baldwin

Triple amen to that, brother!-Rick