Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest pwheeler

Best Traffic Package - Opinions welcomed

Good day. I'm about to purchase a traffic package, but I'm not sure which one to use at this point.I'm running:Q9450 on ASUS Maximus Extreme w/4GB2x9600GT (non-SLI)+ Matrox TH2GO - six monitors totalVista x64FSX w/AccelerationI get fps of around 10-15 on/near the ground, depending on area, with FSX default airliner and GA traffic at 30%.I fly worldwide. I'm not looking for super-realism, more for liveries and variety of AI craft. Would be nice to have some accuracy on the type of traffic each airline uses (IE FedEx does not use 737s, Southwest has no 747s, etc)I'm considering:UTTraffic XMyTrafficWOAII know all have good and bad points. Looking for informed opinions. Thanks for your time!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Since fsx came out I moved from Ut in fs9 to Mytraffic.I just upgraded to 5.2.I am amazed at this upgrade-I am able to set the traffic slider twice as high as I used to (now 40% ga/airlines)-see a huge amount of diversified aircraft (for instance going to Martin State, Md where I recently flew there were A10 warthogs waiting to takeoff before me like I saw while there, helicopters, military, and ga traffic). What I amazed at is fps went way up with 5.2 . I rarely see below 30 fps on my system and the airports are populated with lots of diverse aircraft at the 40% setting.So I am pretty happy with 5.2-wasn't perhaps as enthused before.Running a Intel core 2 dua e6750 2.66 ghz, 4 gigs ram, nvidia 8800 gt.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

OF all the AI traffic add-ons, ONLY My Traffic specifically acknowledges and discusses the issues of FPS AND the need to leave overhead for other mods. SO I dumped my FPS-sucking UTX for it and all is right in the world now.

i have WOAI and yes, it does take some time to load each airline, especially when they keep adding new schedules and you have to go and delete the old ones. but i give WOAI credit for having planes that look very good, they have a ton of airlines, some GA and Military as well. but seening as i just reloaded FX on a new system, i think i will be loading the new UT2 when it is released.

The most important thing when selecting a traffic addon is this:Are the models 100% made for FSX SP2?Many traffic programs use models that were designed for FS9 and this simply causes much lower fps than you should get and they won't work in DX10 mode.As far as I am aware the ONLY traffic addon currently available with 100% 'designed for FSX' models is Just Flight's Traffic X. It is also DX10 compatible.My Traffic 5.2 has many new models that are designed for FSX and DX10 compatible and you can choose just to use these models, however, this does limit the diversity of aircraft you see.Ultimate Traffic X is all FS9 models so it is bad on your fps.Ultimate Traffic 2 looks very promising but it is not yet released.World of AI I believe uses many FS2004 models so it will negatively affect your fps and won't be DX10 compatible.From the above IMHO, the best option is Traffic X. I bought it last week and I have had no problems. I can double my levels of traffic over Traffic 2005 for the same fps. There is good diversity and I get lots of GA traffic as well as comercial traffic at the majority of airports.I would also recommend Super Traffic Board to view your traffic - its an excellent addon and really good value for money.

Most of thise issues are due to people having left over FS9 format traffic .BGLs after uninstalling their previous traffic software.If you have an old format traffic database then it stops any native FSX traffic from appearing. I know people have had trouble with old versions of My Traffic and WOAI not uninstalling these files. Once you manually delete them Traffic X aircraft appear. (It also helps to delete the default FSX traffic database otherwise you get default aircraft appearing)Initially there was an issue of not enough traffic, but Just Flight released a hotfix to up the levels very quickly after release.Also some of the GA aircraft (helicopters for example) are not selected as default when you compile the traffic database. You have to manually select these.I am having no issues at all with Traffic X and it looks great.The only problem for me is that the manual is awful and the interface is not particularly intuative (Traffic 2005 was the same - must be a Just Flight thing!). Once you get your head around it though its fine.Paul

I had Traffic X and returned it for a refund!The problem is not with left over .bgl files, although that is one of many issues, it was simply released without a thorough shakedown. The many problems it has are posted on their message forum should have been caught by the beta testers because they are obvious and cripling in my opinion. The hotfix solution does nothing but make things worse. A flight from a regional airport using that hotfix might give you a couple of planes there but by the time you get to a major hub it'll be so choked it'll be a slide show.I for one would avoid Traffic X at least until they sort out its problems.I would go back to UT2007 but I am now holding out for the "new" Flight UT release.

MyTraffic easily. Huge amount of traffic and easy to install. I've had its various incarnations since 2002.

Well I personally am having no issues with Traffic X at all - and I believe I'm not the only one. I get plenty of traffic at local airports and major airports are relatively well balanced too. I had traffic 2005 prevously and for me Traffic X is a massive improvement - even if just from the FPS improvement by having 100% FSX designed aircraft.You cannot expect any AI program to cover every single airport in the game. Personally I'm suprised that Traffic X covers as many as it does. It certainly covers every airport that Traffic 2005 did.Perhaps there is something else which is causing the issues you are having. Did you try starting from a clean install of FSX?Paul

I hate to spend money when FREE stuff works so well. AVSIM helps us out there for real! I went through three days of downloading and installing WOAI. Would it be worth $30-60 USD to avoid three days of that? Absolutely! The problem is in knowing which one is the best without spending the money! I checked out the support forums of every product I could find and even here I read reviews and comments in threads like this one here. User results were across the board on every product; it's like they all have issues and you never know which product will work best on YOUR system. So, I went with free!I don't think the comments about WOAI negatively impacting frame rates is accurate. My frame rates went up! I have all traffic sliders at 100%. I am using FScene4X, GenesisX, Ultimate Terrain X, Active Sky X, X Graphics, WOAI, and HTAI altogether. I did make adjustments in the texture bandwidth multiplier and the fiber frame time fraction variables (UTX performance settings), but I also have Autogen settings maxed out (extremely dense).Now, this Super Traffic Board program (that AVSIM just this weekend announced the release of) should improve things by removing stuck/duplicate traffic, which were the only issues I had. I read all the other traffic versions suffer the same problem.Now, if there was a trial period on these other products, then I could try them out and see which one I have better performance with.Asus P5N-E SLIIntel E84008 Gigs Corsair PC6400 (667 Mhz)eVGA Geforce 8800 GT 512 MB (2 in SLI)BlueGears bEnspirer audioWindows Vista Ultimate X64

I agree that freeware is always better and somehow more satisfying than paying for things - as long as the quality is there. But I just don't have the patience for WOAI and the

>Well I personally am having no issues with Traffic X at all ->and I believe I'm not the only one. >>PaulFunny you say that because you have errors too but maybe not noticed them lolTried this one out to but one of the "worst payware mis informing package" I've seen in a long time...See copy below of my message in justflight forum...Guys I don't have not to much time . busy with other things in FSX besides flying ....So I decided after years of custom AI to buy an AI package native for FSX.Since the promises on the website and some found memories of the first version way back :-) and now the new TrafficX quote"New aircraft, more traffic - Traffic X employs completely reworked and updated aircraft for FSX with new and more detailed high-quality airline liveries. Traffic X will include 99 individual, different aircraft models with numerous airline liveries and paint schemes - giving a total of more than 1,700 individual aircraft."Ok my story so far :(Had custom made AI converted to FSX with real world flight plans converted to the FSX format so far so good.But the downside missing FSX features but more important some models missing transparent windows etc...Don't have the time to replace the strange ones up to this point...Now TrafficX install went fine and installed the traffic hotfix compiling the stuff and fired up FSX.To my surprise far less traffic as I had with my custom made package :( only at the major airports enough stuff floating around but less FPS!Ok after a check it seems that TrafficX is only looking to the AFCADS supplied with the package...So after looking what is going on behind the scenes found a lot of errors and things which gives me bad tasted in my mouth...Let me explain:- Found a lot of converted FS9 AF2 AFCAD files to FSX with all problems so no native files- Texture files out of 2002/2003/2004/2005/2006 yep indeed- 1073 x of *.DDS files new texture format for FSX- 973 x of *.bmp files old format- DDS files are far to huge saved in 32 bit without mipmaps hence here is someone who doesn't know what he is doing!- Free tip if you save the DDS files in DXT5 format wit mips you will have a far better performance in FSX and loading times when switching views WinkExample current dds file size 4 mb * 1073 = 4,3 gb disk spaceSave it in the better format 1,3 mb * 1073 = 1,4 gb disk spacePlus far better loading times in the sim and also for the graphics bus of your hardware Smile- Texture errors- Some models have model errors different parts floating in the air or invisible- Actually the 757 model is nice Smile- AI engine starting up sound random when airborne Dead- Amazing to see that FSX default aircraft are used for GA traffic which is really a no go for performance reasons...- lot of development files left behind in the directories...- Airport cache bin file has errors- One big compile error log file will post it here at the bottom of this messageIn general I was prepared to see less better looking models and textures but in this case the texture work is the worst I've seen in a long time + modelling of some models can de done far better with the same vertices count.One misconception in the community is that AI can look good but at the cost of performance in the contrary when done smart it can look real good and have a better performance. EmbarrassedSorry but this isn't a native FSX AI package but just a conversion package with a lot of errors that's why I ask for a refund request the first in my FS history....My custom made AI is far better amazing which is a conversion of FS9 stuff DeadThe log file in the flightplan/compile directory is 9 mb full of errors see a small copy below...H:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(1714) : error: Unable to find available parking at SPLP for JFAI_TX_A300_AALH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(1738) : error: Unable to find available parking at KCLT for JFAI_TX_B757_AAH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(1846) : error: Unable to find available parking at TNCC for JFAI_TX_B7373_AAH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(1907) : error: Unable to find available parking at KSFD for JFAI_TX_ATR42_AALH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(1971) : error: Unable to find available parking at TGPY for JFAI_TX_ATR42_AALH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(2043) : error: Unable to find available parking at KJAX for JFAI_TX_ATR42_AALH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(2059) : error: Unable to find available parking at KJAX for JFAI_TX_F70_AAALH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(2095) : error: Unable to find available parking at ENGM for JFAI_TX_B777_AAH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(2214) : error: Flight from FAJS to KDFW requires at least 16.65 hours for JFAI_TX_MD11_AAH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(2250) : error: Unable to find available parking at MZBZ for JFAI_TX_B7373_AAH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(2332) : error: Unable to find available parking at KJAX for JFAI_TX_ATR42_AALH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(2518) : error: Unable to find available parking at MZBZ for JFAI_TX_B7373_AAH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(3526) : error: Unable to find available parking at KCLT for JFAI_TX_B7373_AAH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(3700) : error: Flight from RJAA to KDFW requires at least 11.18 hours for JFAI_TX_B777_AAH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XJustFlightTrafficXPresetsDataSchedulescompilerSchedules.dat(4226) :This will go on and on OuchApology for the long post but I find the website is giving a wrong impression of this package.Cheers,Andr

I don't know what you mean by 'designed for 2004 and so won't work as well in FSX,' because it works great in FSX! The package you mention has issues with FSX. I did find a few aircraft had bad prop textures, but when I got in touch with the AI creator they very quickly responded to me (before I could refresh the forum there) with an answer that solved the problem! WOAI aircraft look great, sound great, and there are custom upgrades available that add features for other products like 3D Lights Redux (of course I had to do the editing myself). I like the results so much I plan on joining one of the development teams.

> I don't know what you mean by 'designed for 2004 and so>won't work as well in FSX,' because it works great in FSX!It is a fact that FSX, while it will work with aircraft that have been ported from FS2004, is not optimised for it. If you have 2 identical versions of the same aircraft, one designed using the FS2004 SDK and one designed using the FSX SDK, the FSX one will be more efficient in the FSX engine and thus will have higher fps.This is why only now are we starting to get addons that work well in FSX - because developers are finally designing things for FSX only - so they are optimised for FSX not FS2004.FSX may be built on the FS2004 engine, but it is a very different beast.

Thanks for that post. I have had a good look at the package now and I'll get to each point in turn.>- Found a lot of converted FS9 AF2 AFCAD files to FSX with>all problems so no native filesTo be honest I can kind of understand this as there are a huge amount of airports. They didn't promise brand new afcads, just aircraft. >- Texture files out of 2002/2003/2004/2005/2006 yep indeedI believe this is deliberate. They have put in the option of showing historical traffic - you can pick which years to show traffic from. They even have Concorde!>- 1073 x of *.DDS files new texture format for FSX>- 973 x of *.bmp files old format>- DDS files are far to huge saved in 32 bit without mipmaps>hence here is someone who doesn't know what he is doing!This is correct and I grant you is very strange. Perhaps they fell behind in development and cut some corners... Perhaps we can manually convert them?>- Some models have model errors different parts floating in>the air or invisibleI haven't seen this personally - but then as I said AI is not that important to me. I just like having busy airports.>- AI engine starting up sound random when airborne DeadI actually havn't heard this even though many people have mentioned it.>- Amazing to see that FSX default aircraft are used for GA>traffic which is really a no go for performance reasons...Not the case. Traffic X does not remove the default AI traffic.BGL so they appear unless you manually delete it. You can choose the default aircraft to appear in the Traffic Control Centre but I believe they are not checked in default. In fact many Traffic X aircraft are not checked by default such as the helicopters.>- lot of development files left behind in the directories...I haven't seen these, but then I haven't had a really good look...>- One big compile error log file will post it here at the>bottom of this messageI guess with so many flights going on some are bound to conflict. Maybe this is an area which they can improve in service packs>In general I was prepared to see less better looking models>and textures but in this case the texture work is the worst>I've seen in a long time + modelling of some models can de>done far better with the same vertices count.Well since I don't really look that closely they seem OK to me - better than the Traffic 2005 ones anyway.>Sorry but this isn't a native FSX AI package but just a>conversion package with a lot of errorsWell I do believe the models are new even if the textures are not. They certainly don't look like the Traffic 2005 ones and I am getting much, much better performance.Seriously - I can nearly double the amount of traffic over Traffic 2005 levels for the same fps.I'm not saying this package is perfect - and you have pointed out some glaring issues which I hope they sort out. I am not a Just Flight fan and I have had issues with them in the past. But it only cost me

>>- Found a lot of converted FS9 AF2 AFCAD files to FSX with>>all problems so no native files>>To be honest I can kind of understand this as there are a huge>amount of airports. They didn't promise brand new afcads, just>aircraft. Paul they better do because converted FS9 AFCAD files give all sort of problems in FSX!>>- Texture files out of 2002/2003/2004/2005/2006 yep indeed>>I believe this is deliberate. They have put in the option of>showing historical traffic - you can pick which years to show>traffic from. They even have Concorde!Nope for a brand new package then make new paints to with the latest techniques ;-)>>- Some models have model errors different parts floating in>>the air or invisible>>I haven't seen this personally - but then as I said AI is not>that important to me. I just like having busy airports.Will have a impact on FPS... >>- Amazing to see that FSX default aircraft are used for GA>>traffic which is really a no go for performance reasons...>>Not the case. Traffic X does not remove the default AI>traffic.BGL so they appear unless you manually delete it. You>can choose the default aircraft to appear in the Traffic>Control Centre but I believe they are not checked in default.>In fact many Traffic X aircraft are not checked by default>such as the helicopters.It has nothing to to do with replacing the traffic BGL file but with the selection in the gui and the program will compile a new traffic file based on the model selection and flightplans and there are default FSX models...Have a better look there...>I'm not saying this package is perfect - and you have pointed>out some glaring issues which I hope they sort out. I am not a>Just Flight fan and I have had issues with them in the past.>But it only cost me