Sign in to follow this  
monnie

What has happened to these forums over the years ?????

Good points Dan...But we should also consider the following to:We have here a very mixed environment from adults / children all enjoying aviation... To add more a lot of different native languages too...So communication in real life is difficult enough in the same native language...Forums have actually more the nature of miscommunication or understanding since we all have to type and express our feelings for a lot of users in a foreign language...What polite or respect is in one country is maybe very impolite or disrespectful in the other...Just some thoughts to add to your points...We have I believe the common factor of passion for aviation...I try always to read the topics a bit more with the above points in my mind...The Net is changing indeed if you compare it for example 1994 and 2008...Have fun in the (virtual)skies :-)http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

>>I find also when individuals express their own opinions as opinions things stay civil. When individuals speak their own opinions as if they are fact, and speak for the simming world at large the tempers flare. That goes for either side of an opinion.Reminds me of a certain someone that I had it out with on the forums many times. His way was always the correct way. He was a genius, everyone else was a complete moron. If he wasn't attacking me, I knew before reading one of his post he was flaming someone else. Eventually he just went away. I think he posts here once in a while, but for the most part, the old #### went away. As for vatsim, thats when I left msn's "zone." It was fun to go in there every now and then and just play chicken with about 15 other people at Meigs, but that was fun only for so long. Vatsim is very professional. No kid who wants to just play his "airplane video game" would survive long enough to start the taxi. There's one "annoyance-free" place where the maturity level of the pilots will never go down.

>I know this was a shot at me, and all I can say is>"whatever". Beside it's not a debate that ###### me off, it>was someone being a jackass that caused me to create this>thread. >DanFirst of all, I share your concerns 100%. However, I hope you won't mind me using this post as an example,Dan.When I read the posters comment, I did not see it as a rub against you directly. In my mind he was offering a truizm of many perpetrators of flame.As has been brought up many times before, we are a large , World Wide community, and our languages sometimes causes problems. In some peoples minds, the term, "whatever" is considered a dismiss of that person and an attack upon his existance, when as if feel in your case you actually said"...I'm not going to let your statement bother me, nor am I going to allow it to cause me to respond in a negative way."I have some concern when people in these forums feel tat there is am implied "right" to say anything. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking, but though I am a member here, I don't own this site or this forum. For me to be allowed to do anything within AVSIM is a "privilage" and not a "right". The fact that individuals feel that they have a "right" here also contributes to the feeling that they can get away with whatever they want and if recourse is taken, somehow, it is a violation of the Constitution.You guys hve bought up some good points in this discussion and I enjoy the conversation. But, it is not only in this forum where the problem exists, which is unfortunate. Is it an "age"thing? I don't think so. I see, so called "adults" acting up worse than our younger members and therefore set the poorest examples.In my mind, as long as we have people who choose not to argue a point to satisfy their ego and would rather stop, or just remain quiet versus piling on to be, "on the right side", we'll do alright. For now, I refuse to let someone steal my enjoyment of this hobby of our's.We have to many good people that have the answers I need and I know they are watching and waiting for that one person who really needs, or wants the help. And they make themselves accessible via PM or email. So, when I see their name I read and hang on every word and skip the bull of the "wanna be's".Dan, I thank you for bringing up the subject and I hope that I have not offended you by using your post as an examole.LaMonte CrenshawBest regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)HP Media CenterPentium D 2.80 GHz Duel core2.00 GB RAMNVIDIA GeForce 6200SEConexant Falcon II NTSCXP SP2