Sign in to follow this  
Guest coal

Help! Using FS9 .c Gauges in FS X

Guest FS-boy

I've read a few posts that suggest that C gauges from FS2002 and FS2004 would work in FSX. I can't get my FS9 gauge cluster to display in FSX. I've tried storing the gauge in both the gauges folder and the panel folder, no joy. Do I need to recompile and relink my gauge, using the new gauge header and other changes outlined in the FSX SDK? William Call

>I've read a few posts that suggest that C gauges from FS2002>and FS2004 would work in FSX. I can't get my FS9 gauge>cluster to display in FSX. I've tried storing the gauge in>both the gauges folder and the panel folder, no joy. Do I>need to recompile and relink my gauge, using the new gauge>header and other changes outlined in the FSX SDK?As long as you compiled your 'cluster' using at least GAUGE_HEADER_FS700 you shouldn't have any problems at all!If you used an gauges.h earlier than FS2002, you will have problems and need to make any needed adjustments to compile with the new gauges.h file, using GAUGE_HEADER_FS700 or GAUGE_HEADER_FS800...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest FS-boy

Bill, Thanks for the reply. I did indeed compile my gauge using GAUGE_HEADER_FS700. I re-compiled my gauge this morning, using fsxgauges.h . Still no luck. I'm putting the gauge in the gauges folder, and I've relocated my FS9 aircraft to the SimObjectsAirplanes folder. Have I missed something?

>Bill,> Thanks for the reply. I did indeed compile my gauge>using GAUGE_HEADER_FS700. I re-compiled my gauge this>morning, using fsxgauges.h . Still no luck. I'm putting the>gauge in the gauges folder, and I've relocated my FS9 aircraft>to the SimObjectsAirplanes folder. Have I missed something?Is there an error message? Did you get prompted to "approve" your gauge(s)? When loading the a/c the first time, you should get a popup box warning that this gauge doesn't have a "Trusted Certificate," to which you answer, and another dialog box after that asking if you want to accept this gauge from now on...Just because a gauge compiles without error doesn't mean it will actually load and display... ;)

Fr. Bill    

>Just because a gauge compiles without error doesn't mean it>will actually load and display... ;)Boy, isn't that the truth.Have been slaving over the rather large TinMouse II multigauge all weekend trying to get it to load in FSX. Ported the whole thing to C++ 7.0, then to C++ 8.0 Express with .Net 2, bottom line is that with Dai's new fsxgauges.h the C and both C++ versions of the gauge work fine in FS9, but not one works in FSX.Debug shows the gauge loading at the same address about 40 times rapidly, but no sign of a single one of the component gauges.Is there some macro def or constant that needs to be set to tell FS what version will be in use? Any other ideas what's changed in FSX that would lead me into this abyss??I'm going to go have a very large drink now...CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest FS-boy

Bill, Yes, I did get prompted to approve the gauge, and yes I did get prompted to accept this gauge from now on. This happened the first time I copied the gauge from its FS9 folder, and it happened again, after I re-compiled the gauge. My gut feel is that there is a "switch" or flag that needs to be set in the configuration. I've gone over the SDK twice, and haven't found it. For what its worth, the 2-D panel background does display, but not the cockpit images when I look left, right, or to the rear. Also, the SDK said that masks should be separated by 0x0001 and not 0x0003, as in previous gauges. I haven't done that yet. I wanted to see what the effect was. I wouldn't think that would keep the gauge from being displayed.

Guest FS-boy

Bob, Thanks for the input. Looks like you and I are in the same boat, so to speak. I was wondering the same thing, maybe there is something that needs to be set in the gauge header.

Guest coal

Really I think things are not so easy as Bill Leaming says (thanks, Bill, for all your answers and posts in so many design forums).I, like probably all of you, have been trying to adapt all my panels and planes to FSX, and, though most of things work, they are far to do it as they do in FS9.Some examples:-Taxi and Landing lights beams: I don't find a way to display them, except in 2D Panel view. There are several post in forums about this without satisfactory answers. Beams don't shows with FS9 aircrafts neither.-Single colors of parts without textures shows black.-IMAGE_USE_LUMINOUS flag doesn't work. All luminous images are luminous at dawn, dusk and night even if panel lights are off.In short, not so many compatibility with FS9 as it has been said by Microsoft.Thank you all.Germ

Guest FS-boy

Bill, Just to let you and others know, I solved the gauge display problem by updating my graphics drivers. I have a GeForce 7950 GX2 card. I updated my Nvidia drivers to version 91.47 WHQL. This driver set allows the user to have special settings for games, and FS X is one of the games that is listed. The graphics on my gauges aren't as crisp as they were in FS9. Maybe that's due to me not having the optimum settings for the drivers. Anyway, thanks for everybody's inputs and support. William Call

"-Taxi and Landing lights beams: I don't find a way to display them, except in 2D Panel view. There are several post in forums about this without satisfactory answers. Beams don't shows with FS9 aircrafts neither."This is a known issue in FSX. Has nothing to do with gauges."-IMAGE_USE_LUMINOUS flag doesn't work. All luminous images are luminous at dawn, dusk and night even if panel lights are off."This is actually how it was supposed to work to begin with, so actually the behavior has been corrected in FSX.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest coal

"This is a known issue in FSX. Has nothing to do with gauges."I know. I was just commenting things that have to do with compatibility.BTW, did anybody found a solution for that with Gmax or FSDS3.0?

>"This is a known issue in FSX. Has nothing to do with>gauges.">>I know. I was just commenting things that have to do with>compatibility.>>>BTW, did anybody found a solution for that with Gmax or>FSDS3.0?How could we? The problem in in FSX! ;)

Fr. Bill    

>-IMAGE_USE_LUMINOUS flag doesn't work. All luminous images are>luminous at dawn, dusk and night even if panel lights are>off.One should have been using conditional logic for gauge lighting all along:if (panel_lights) { light the gauge element with luminous or bright ; }else{ "deluminous" or "darken" the gauge element ; }

Fr. Bill    

Guest coal

"One should have been using conditional logic for gauge lighting all along"Thanks Bill. That's exactly what I did.So, I understand we have nothing to do about light beams and must wait ACES to fix the issue, haven't we?I wonder if we can publish new developments for FSX and the issue will be automatically solved when Microsoft release a patch.